Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cassette wear. When to replace?
Quote | Reply
I have had the same two cassettes for a long time. Both are Ultegra. 1 is a 12-28, and the other an 11-25. I mixed the 12 through 19 with the 21-23-25 to create a 12-25, which is perfect for the flat area around me, but used the 11-28 for Oceanside. Any issues doing this?
And how can I tell when it's time to replace a cassette? I over ran my last chain, but I don't know what to look for in tooth wear. Should I post a picture?
Quote Reply
Re: Cassette wear. When to replace? [mpderksen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I knew it was time to replace my last cassette when I put a new chain on my bike and the chain would skip in a couple of gears. I couldn't tell what was wrong, took it to the bike shop, explained the situation, and was told that the cassette was worn out. New cassette = perfect shifting again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's how to tell when your cassette is bad.

1) Is the chain "stretched"? If you can measure stretch, replace the chain and cassette.
2) Do you have 1 million miles? If yes, replace both chain and cassette.

Otherwise, never change it unless you just want something new, or if it's shifting like crap.

And mixing the cogs is perfectly fine as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Cassette wear. When to replace? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:

1) Is the chain "stretched"? If you can measure stretch, replace the chain and cassette.

Replacing a cassette every time you replace a chain is a waste of money.
Quote Reply
Re: Cassette wear. When to replace? [jajichan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jajichan wrote:
nickwhite wrote:

Replacing a cassette every time you replace a chain is a waste of money.

Agreed. I just replaced the chain on my mountain bike showing nearly 1.0 wear on the Park tool and the new chain shifts perfectly with the old cassette. To be honest I figured I'd left it too late as I prefer to change at ~.75 wear but went ahead figuring there was nothing to lose with a quick test.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the principle Rohloff uses for their cassette wear checker:

http://www.rohloff.de/en/products/hg_check/

Only I use a piece of new chain, without Rohloff's handle on it.

1. Engage four teeth,
2. pull the chain,
3. does the last roller grab on disengagement?
- If not, keep riding.
- If so, replace cassette.

In practice I almost never replace cassettes. I still ride Dura-Ace ti cassettes that I've used since 10 speed was new, including several seasons of 'cross. I replace chains though.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: Cassette wear. When to replace? [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've wondered if there was an objective way to measure cassette wear. Nice to see there is.
Seems to me bike shop mechanics just tell me it looks worn, probably because they want to sell me a cassette.
Quote Reply
Re: Cassette wear. When to replace? [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good rule of them is to change the cassette with the chain. I however am a small guy so I'm not putting the same wattage into my cassette as the bigger guys... I typically will go two chains per cassette.
Quote Reply
Re: Cassette wear. When to replace? [m091554] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
m091554 wrote:
Good rule of them is to change the cassette with the chain. I however am a small guy so I'm not putting the same wattage into my cassette as the bigger guys... I typically will go two chains per cassette.

You need to replace your chains more often then. If you did that, you'd virtually NEVER need to replace a cassette.

Since I learned about proper chain replacement intervals, I have literally not retired a cassette due to wear...or pretty much any other reason.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply