Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Casco Speedtime helmet
Quote | Reply
Have any of you ever used this helmet in a 70.3? Thinking about giving it a shot. Mostly concerned about the functionality of the shield. Any input would be great before I drop the cash on it. It's not cheap.
Quote Reply
Re: Casco Speedtime helmet [markcleblanc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Casco SpeedAire which is very similar. Nicest helmet I have ever owned. The Germans make great stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/img]

Bought and used it late last season in the Ontario Provincial ITT.
Beautiful German design & craftmanship......hence the hefty price tag.
The shield is not removeable and the only front vent is a small port above the visor.
They do provide a removeable plug for the vent in case additional cooling is required.

Overheating might be a concern especially in hot humid conditions in a 70.3.
I'd like to note, I used this at the ITT (35kms) in hot humid conditions at the end of August.
Despite the fixed shield and front vent plugged up....I found it bearable.

Using my aero eye....the Speedtime has quite a narrow profile...certainly looks aero.
When I put it against my old LG Vorttice, the narrowness is unmistakeable.[/img]

Hope this helps............
Last edited by: antlue: Mar 22, 14 16:11
Quote Reply
Re: Casco Speedtime helmet [antlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the front shield flip up at all?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, it is fixed and cannot be flipped up.....actually fastened to the helmet shell using a series of small machine screws.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have that helmet and have used it quite a bit. It's a great helmet and if you take the little plug out it vents really well. I've used it in a hot Olympic distance Tri and a 40km TT event. Great helmet and well designed!

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in the Philippines & find the helmet cool enough.
Longest ride on it was 110K.
It will never match a vented helmet but I never overheated.
Looks cool & the biggest plus is the almost 180 degree clear view.

Only drawback its hard to remove the front air vent cover on the fly.
You have to stop to remove it & slip the cap in your pocket.
Quote Reply
Re: Casco Speedtime helmet [antlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My main concern was not being able to flip up the shield in shaded course areas or if the shield collected a lot of sweat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello markdeblanc and All,

Beautiful helmet ........

CPSC? for US races .......

Cheers,

Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Casco Speedtime helmet [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The original ones were not. CPSC certified but they are now making a version that is. CPSC certified from what I've been told.

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Re: Casco Speedtime helmet [Dopers.Suck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And are you hearing that from Casco? Nowhere on their site does it list that they are approved for American racing. I emailed them 2 months ago on this very issue and heard nothing in return.

Not a good sign for a company that makes money selling products. They also list zero US distributors. If you know something we don't, then please share your information.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Casco Speedtime helmet [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got the SpeedAir and the SpeedTime and people are right that these are NOT CPSC certified. Great helmets, however. I think the confusion may lie in that Casco does have 1 helmet that is CPSC certified, and that's the one I call the "TJ Tollakson" as I'm not sure the name of the actual helmet, but it's quite popular amongst trackies. My understanding is that there's 1 store/velodrome in IL who paid for the certification process and is the distributor. You can only get it through them.

Anyway, I know that my contact has been on maternity leave, but I got her auto-reply, not sure why you're not getting an answer otherwise.

These are expensive, but the SpeedAire is a great helmet all around and I know would do great in the US. Hopefully they work on getting at least that one certified. Though I get it if they don't... it's a tough market, there's lots of options already, and I'm sure they sell plenty in Europe, South America, and anywhere else you can buy them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Found this info on Casco site, so included it for anyone else that lands here after a search.
Sorry if it's been repeated elsewhere.

CASCO SPEEDTIME WITH CPSC STANDARD (USA)
There is an alternative helmet with CPSC bicycle helmet standard (USA) available. The production of this variation is done according to ISO Standard.

SPEEDtime US Art. Nr.: 04.1500.U US
Quote Reply
Re: Casco Speedtime helmet [DieTryin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DieTryin' wrote:
Found this info on Casco site, so included it for anyone else that lands here after a search.
Sorry if it's been repeated elsewhere.

CASCO SPEEDTIME WITH CPSC STANDARD (USA)
There is an alternative helmet with CPSC bicycle helmet standard (USA) available. The production of this variation is done according to ISO Standard.

SPEEDtime US Art. Nr.: 04.1500.U US

Please provide an active link. I went to the Casco website as a result of your post and was unable to find anything about this helmet being CPSC certified and being available for sale.

I am ready to buy if someone can provide a verifiable link. Thank you for posting what you've found. I've waited for a year to buy this helmet!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sally,

I should have an answer for you shortly on what the availability of this helmet is/will be in the US. All signs are pointing to the fact that they'll have CPSC certified versions in 2015. When those will be available, that's a different question.

On the other hand, the Chicago track shop that lists those on their website says it is CPSC certified. I don't know how accurate this is as I've not had confirmation from Casco yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://casco-helme.de/product.php?id=73

The above is the link, the information regarding certification is under the "Standard" tab (lower portion of the page, on the left hand side).
Last edited by: DieTryin': Sep 30, 14 13:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
markcleblanc wrote:
My main concern was not being able to flip up the shield in shaded course areas or if the shield collected a lot of sweat

It does indeed flip up. The ends of the visor (which sit roughly over your ears) are helg against the helmet with small magnets. Pulling these out and pushing the visor forwards lets it move. The machine screws referred to earlier attach the visor to a piece of shock cord on either side.

I wore this helmet at IM Cairns this year and found that the visor fogged up if it was in the position shown in the pictures above (more due to the attrocious weather in Cairns, I've worn it on 3 other occasions and it's been fine). Pulling it forwards and upwards left visibility fine and no fogging. I'd assume there was an aero penalty of some sort - but fairly minor.
Quote Reply
Re: Casco Speedtime helmet [AndresLD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Casco Warp Carbon, over 3 years use and still going strong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's for sale on Amazon.
Quote Reply
Re: Casco Speedtime helmet [DieTryin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DieTryin' wrote:
http://casco-helme.de/product.php?id=73

The above is the link, the information regarding certification is under the "Standard" tab (lower portion of the page, on the left hand side).

Thank you for the directions. As AndreasLD wrote and I saw on the Casco web site, no store is listed as an American dealer yet. I emailed Casco again in an effort to find when and where the helmets would be shipped.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply