Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carbon Wheelset Under $600 - Recommendations? Where to find?
Quote | Reply
First full IM coming up in 6 weeks and looking to upgrade my wheelset before race day. Do I go with a used carbon wheelset off the classified forums or eBay? Is there a company well-known for making good budget carbon wheels? What else should I know? Where should I look? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Wheelset Under $600 - Recommendations? Where to find? [JBADGER] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you have now?

Why don't you get aero alum over shallow carbon? The weight of alum wheels is a lot less important than the aeroness.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Wheelset Under $600 - Recommendations? Where to find? [JBADGER] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought these recently from aliexpress.

http://www.aliexpress.com/...040_32309921641.html

I don't like the logos on it (as it's not really a ffwd wheelset). But fortunately, the vendor has options without logos on it.

I have to say that after a few hundred miles, I'm really liking the wheels. I don't notice any flex in the wheels, the rims are 23mm wide, and the shape seems to be have a toroidal shape to it. For the money, I think these are a pretty good option.

The seller also has other options aside from this. I went with rims that have an alloy brake track because I've heard more than a few stories of cheap 'Carbon Clinchers' not really holding up well to extended braking. But that shouldn't be a concern with these rims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flo front and wheelbuilder (or similar) disc cover on the rear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A cheap fast option would be a used front 60 or 90 of some type and a wheelcover for the rear. Or you could rent a set for the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went chinese carbon clincher and have been pleased so far. Bought from carbonspeedcycle on ebay. Got a 60/90 25mm wise rim with toroidal shape.

Had them both trued by the LBS when I got them and have been great since.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JBADGER wrote:
First full IM coming up in 6 weeks and looking to upgrade my wheelset before race day. Do I go with a used carbon wheelset off the classified forums or eBay? Is there a company well-known for making good budget carbon wheels? What else should I know? Where should I look? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

You can rent a set for $200 for the race. Choice Zipp 404, 808, disc, they have everything!
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Wheelset Under $600 - Recommendations? Where to find? [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Renting's a good option. IF u must have/purchase a pair, u might check out Planet X for inexpensive tublars. Paid $500 for mine over a yr ago. Just use 'em for races....only. No Big practice/training spins.

Anything "Zipp-like" w/out the sticker shock seems good to me &/or most common folk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the answers. Would love more opinions

What are poeple's thoughts on clincher versus tubular?
Last edited by: JBADGER: Aug 2, 15 19:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went for carbon clincher farsports. Two years racing, minimal training on them, but they rock - except for the braking. Swapping pads is getting old (aluminum training wheels) and the braking, despite the 'basalt' brake tracks, is noisy, grabby (but functional). Light, smooth, aero, not too expensive. But no extended descents where I live/race. I'd buy them again.
Last edited by: giorgitd: Aug 2, 15 19:31
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Wheelset Under $600 - Recommendations? Where to find? [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:
I went chinese carbon clincher and have been pleased so far. Bought from carbonspeedcycle on ebay. Got a 60/90 25mm wise rim with toroidal shape.

Had them both trued by the LBS when I got them and have been great since.

I bought from them too and am happy with the wheels.

jaretj
Quote Reply