Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carb-load weight gain too much?
Quote | Reply
So i'm carb loading for the boston marathon on monday, and getting a little concerned about my weight gain.

I'm 5'8, usually 150-152lbs pretty stable throughout the year, somewhat musclure build . However, after the past week of tapering and slowly increasing my carb intake, and the last 2 days of increasing my carb intake even more, i'm now 158lbs-160. I think that's a little too high? I've never been that heavy before, ever...

I look in the mirror and grab belly fat but can still only grab as much as before which is not too much.
I have a pretty healthy carb load diet too, just whole grain pasta, white rice, potatoes for the most part. I don't eat junk, and don't drink soda. I also THINK that i just eat up until i'm full, but i guess i can restrict my calories a bit up until the race? would that be a plausible plan?

How much do you guys usually gain from carb loading? ive read that 3-4lbs is normal, but i'm hitting up to 8lbs.

I really want to PR on boston at a goal 6:40/mile pace, and I think i'm getting a little too heavy for that.
Quote Reply
Re: Carb-load weight gain too much? [Rest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carb load???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rest wrote:
How much do you guys usually gain from carb loading? ive read that 3-4lbs is normal, but i'm hitting up to 8lbs.
It sounds like you might be salt loading and retaining water. I don`t know what the figures are for carb loading but assuming you add an extra 500 Cals or 125g of carbs. Each gram of carbohydrate requires about 3g of water for a total of 500g or a little over a pound. Unless you`re used to training or weighing yourself in a fasted state with no carbs stored I don`t see how the 8lbs could be attributed to extra carbs stored.
Quote Reply
Re: Carb-load weight gain too much? [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmm will take this into consideration and drink plenty of water to try to flush it out! Thanks for your this I have been adding extra salt into my potatoes in the past few days now that you brought it up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rest wrote:
hmm will take this into consideration and drink plenty of water to try to flush it out! Thanks for your this I have been adding extra salt into my potatoes in the past few days now that you brought it up.

What you're doing is the kiss of death to a good execution...ie making drastic changes to your diet as it changes what your physiology is accustomed to. Presumably you've had a decent training block if you're looking to PR, so treat these next 36hrs into the start exactly as you did for the 36hrs before your long training runs. You didn't stuff yourself w/ potatoes & water before that last 20-miler, so don't do it for Monday.

---

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply
Re: Carb-load weight gain too much? [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianPBN wrote:
Rest wrote:

What you're doing is the kiss of death to a good execution...ie making drastic changes to your diet as it changes what your physiology is accustomed to. Presumably you've had a decent training block if you're looking to PR, so treat these next 36hrs into the start exactly as you did for the 36hrs before your long training runs. You didn't stuff yourself w/ potatoes & water before that last 20-miler, so don't do it for Monday.

---

What he said.

Carbo loading is for bears before hibernation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rest wrote:
So i'm carb loading for the boston marathon on monday, and getting a little concerned about my weight gain.

True carb load? Or are you just eating more carbs? A true carb load takes a few weeks and involves a depletion phase as well.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrianPBN wrote:
Rest wrote:

---
I love this!

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carbs themselves also make you retain water
so this is likely all water weight
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's water. Don't worry about it.
Are you female? Weight change due to a menstrual cycle too maybe?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Carb-load weight gain too much? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
It's water. Don't worry about it.
Are you female? Weight change due to a menstrual cycle too maybe?

A 5'8", 155LB female aiming to run 2:52....now THAT is something I want to see ;-)

---

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Overheard at registration for a trail race some 20 years ago
"Spaghetti dinner the night before to carbo load? All they are doing is building up a big shot!"
After hearing that, I thought a bit back to my biology and took a that statement to heart.
Eat as you normally would, but realize that if you are tapering - that is not normal for you. You would need to cut back.
Also, as mentioned above; carbs take more water to digest, that's just basic stoichiometry.
Hopefully you've just retained some water and will sweat it out.
Quote Reply