Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Canyon Doing Well In Another ST Poll
Quote | Reply
This is the second ST poll in the last few weeks that Canyon has done very well in. I'm curious as to know why? The Canyon bikes are not even available yet in North America, but according to Canyon will be starting in Q3 this year.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Doing Well In Another ST Poll [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For us in the USA, the grass is always greener... Canyon bikes are nearly impossible for us to buy, so all we have to go on are pros bikes in transition, or pictures.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$0.02

I voted for Canyon in the recent poll 'cause it was based on aesthetics. their bikes look awesome.

if you're looking to translate it to retail, I'd buy one. once you get to the "few $k" price point, they look the best. and most LBS suck. so, not having a 'local' guy isn't always a drag.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't vote for canyon but when the bike first came out, I was definitely wanting one. Mostly because it looks awesome IMO and checks off most of the boxes. That was probably a year ago though.

While I would still like to see one and ride one, I have come to the realization that I think I will be vastly disappointed if I bought one. I remember reading about difficulties with getting the bike delivered to the USA in prestine condition and undamaged. Not to mention..... customer support, spare parts/replacement parts availability.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A beauty contest does not require you to own the bike, nor does a guess at how well the bike will perform.
I'm going to guess that no-one owns all the bikes that one may vote for. Very few will own more than one.
If people are answering honestly rather than based on ownership bias, it shouldn't matter whether the bike is available in the US so these results are promising. Also, there's plenty people here who are not from the US. Myself included. And my road bike IS a Canyon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You want what you cant have.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Doing Well In Another ST Poll [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I didn't vote for canyon but when the bike first came out, I was definitely wanting one. Mostly because it looks awesome IMO and checks off most of the boxes. That was probably a year ago though.

While I would still like to see one and ride one, I have come to the realization that I think I will be vastly disappointed if I bought one. I remember reading about difficulties with getting the bike delivered to the USA in prestine condition and undamaged. Not to mention..... customer support, spare parts/replacement parts availability.
I can understand that it may be difficult to buy one since Canyon aren't distributing in the USA. However, once you'd bought one these issues surely have been surmounted so why would you then be dissappointed? It shouldn't be a problem to get the bike in pristine condition. They're very well packed for that very purpose. Of course if you've formulated your own shipping arrangements and/or packaging to circumvent import to the US then it's not exactly Canyon's fault.
Once the bikes are available in the US I can't imagine spares and customer service will be a problem. I've only dealt with customer service once, just after I bought my road bike and they were absolutely trouble free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since every second bike here is a Canyon (not counted but felt) I cheer for every Cervélo .. oSo >>

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
honestly, I voted because of the beautiful custom paint jobs they did for Patrick Lange & Frodo (More so Patrick's), not for the stock design so that's a half vote, really.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Doing Well In Another ST Poll [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
stevej wrote:

I can understand that it may be difficult to buy one since Canyon aren't distributing in the USA. However, once you'd bought one these issues surely have been surmounted so why would you then be dissappointed? It shouldn't be a problem to get the bike in pristine condition. They're very well packed for that very purpose. Of course if you've formulated your own shipping arrangements and/or packaging to circumvent import to the US then it's not exactly Canyon's fault.
Once the bikes are available in the US I can't imagine spares and customer service will be a problem. I've only dealt with customer service once, just after I bought my road bike and they were absolutely trouble free.

I don't remember the exact details but there was a thread on here where someone had multiple frames scratched and/or damaged upon delivery. Obviously this is n=1 and who knows what shipping method was used, but it left an impression on me.

That's good to hear you haven't had an issue with customer support. Given that there are a limited amount of bikes in the US, there just isn't that much information out there available. While I really like the bike, it's a risk (IMO) to be one of the early buyers as there are just too many unknowns. And that's not something I'm willing to risk at this time.

I do hope it works out and the bike is everything people want it to be. I'm just not ready to put my credit card down just yet... even if it was available. I'll wait and see.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't remember the first poll or how I voted but this poll is about which one looks the best and to me that's the Canyon. Btw, I don't envision myself being in the market anytime soon for a TT bike. Sold mine off last year and have no desire for another.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
This is the second ST poll in the last few weeks that Canyon has done very well in. I'm curious as to know why? The Canyon bikes are not even available yet in North America, but according to Canyon will be starting in Q3 this year.

It's a nice looking bike...

That being said, I can't believe ANYONE would vote for the Andean...Boy, that's an ugly bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Doing Well In Another ST Poll [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
Fleck wrote:

That being said, I can't believe ANYONE would vote for the Andean...Boy, that's an ugly bike.

Maybe a bit gaudy with all of the crazy storage options, but I don't think it's the ugliest bike of the bunch, especially the black one:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have three canyons. Never had a problem with any of them.

The only problem is likely to be support rather than the bike itsself.

Mine have all been delivered UPS, all in good shape. The only time i ever had a problem was when they upgraded there MRP system.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
stevej wrote:

I don't remember the exact details but there was a thread on here where someone had multiple frames scratched and/or damaged upon delivery. Obviously this is n=1 and who knows what shipping method was used, but it left an impression on me.

That's good to hear you haven't had an issue with customer support. Given that there are a limited amount of bikes in the US, there just isn't that much information out there available. While I really like the bike, it's a risk (IMO) to be one of the early buyers as there are just too many unknowns. And that's not something I'm willing to risk at this time.

I do hope it works out and the bike is everything people want it to be. I'm just not ready to put my credit card down just yet... even if it was available. I'll wait and see.
I know some people had difficulty with customer support when it came to honest forecasts on delivery dates 2 or 3 years ago, when they were having difficulty keeping up with demand. I don't know if there's still an issue there. However, I haven't heard about difficulties other than that and I found them very prompt and helpful in my dealings. I'm in Ireland and was dealing directly with their offices in Germany. I suspect they'll have local support in the US due to time differences and the size of the market.

I don't think anyone's likely to be disappointed with the bikes not being everything they expect them to be. I've seen several. A bunch of Ultimate CF SL and SLXs, a few Aeroroad SLXs and a couple of Speedmaxes and they've all looked as good or better in person than in the pictures. I particularly like the Ultimate CF SLX in silver.
They're well designed, built and finished bikes. It's not like the company is a newcomer that needs to prove the quality of their products. That's well established. They'll just be new to the US.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canyon is doing well because the poll does not include the BMC TM01.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Well I remember when Cervelo and Planet X were all the rage so I'll check back in a couple years :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I voted for Canyon and here is the simple reason why....

Of all the 'super bikes', there are 4 that stand out to me as the best; Trek, Canyon, Scott and Felt.

Felt doesn't have the storage options that Trek has.

Scott also doesn't have "all" the storage that Trek has.

Trek has everything I "need" ... and why I ride one.

Canyon has everything that Trek has and a few added touches that I would love to have: the Argon grips, integrated front hydration and rear hydration.

Granted I have no idea how Canyon rides, I'm well inclined to think it would be similar to Trek, if not stiffer. So, yeah, never ridden but my educated guess is that it would be comfier to ride for 112 miles than my SC.. but only by a very little bit.

But honestly, those Argon grips are what sell me the most.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Doing Well In Another ST Poll [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:
Canyon is doing well because the poll does not include the BMC TM01.
^This

In the absence of the BMC TM01 (which is the prettiest of TT bikes), I went for the Argon18. The Canyon would've been my next choice, based purely on aesthetics. The BMC should really have been on that list.

----------------------------------
http://ironvision.blogspot.com ; @drSteve1663
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why so much love for Canyon? It is just okay.

Diamondback looks like a motorcycle. Why not put an engine on it and be done with it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really think it's the Frodo effect. Not only is he winning on this bike, he just looks super pro and fast on it as well. Canyon has done a great job with his paint schemes and finishing touches. Plus he comes across as a smart guy that pays attention to detail.

Basically people want to be Frodo.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Doing Well In Another ST Poll [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
its still not the easiest bike to get
on the upside with those delivery issues especially in tt bikes no bike in europe holds its retail price anywhere near as close as the speedmax in the 2nd hand market.

Ai_1 wrote:
stevej wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
stevej wrote:

I know some people had difficulty with customer support when it came to honest forecasts on delivery dates 2 or 3 years ago, when they were having difficulty keeping up with demand. I don't know if there's still an issue there. However, I haven't heard about difficulties other than that and I found them very prompt and helpful in my dealings. I'm in Ireland and was dealing directly with their offices in Germany. I suspect they'll have local support in the US due to time differences and the size of the market.

I don't think anyone's likely to be disappointed with the bikes not being everything they expect them to be. I've seen several. A bunch of Ultimate CF SL and SLXs, a few Aeroroad SLXs and a couple of Speedmaxes and they've all looked as good or better in person than in the pictures. I particularly like the Ultimate CF SLX in silver.
They're well designed, built and finished bikes. It's not like the company is a newcomer that needs to prove the quality of their products. That's well established. They'll just be new to the US.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Doing Well In Another ST Poll [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
d00d wrote:
Fleck wrote:

Maybe a bit gaudy with all of the crazy storage options, but I don't think it's the ugliest bike of the bunch, especially the black one:

Personally, I hated the darn thing when it first came out. What I saw it at Kona for the first time (at least for me), I'm pretty sure my eyes literaly bugged out of my head.

Now I'll be damned if it hasn't grown on me over the last little while to the point where it is somewhere on the list of bikes with which I would replace my current bike - especially given it's price point. I certainly like it better than the P5X.

As far as the Canyon goes, I don't think I voted, but I've voted for that bike on occasion simply because it isn't available where I live. It's kind of like wishing you could date a celebrity you've never met. Intellectually plenty of things would annoy you once you got them alone in a room, but you can't, so they don't. I know it's not a perfect analogy considering I could order a Canyon and I'd have a little trouble with a celebrity, but you get the idea.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Doing Well In Another ST Poll [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I voted scott. Per no integrated storage it may not be #1 on my list if I were in the superbike market today, but this was a pure beauty contest.

Take your pick - the stealth black standard version, or some of sebi's color schemes over the years (black/yellow, camo, world champ theme).

Frickin BEAUTIFUL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I voted for the Omni because it reminds me of the Lotus, which was really one of the first "SuperBikes" you could kind of imagine owning because it wasn't a one-off like the GT or Pinarello bikes.

Boardman and Colby Pierce both rode one to set the World and US hour records, so they were cool.
Quote Reply

Prev Next