Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cannot keep warm in cold swimming pool [Horstinator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simple, just get a De Soto Speedvest, that should take care of things! If you need more just add the Speedtube bottom!
Quote Reply
Re: Cannot keep warm in cold swimming pool [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, 78°F is perfect for me and I've got to keep swimming.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Cannot keep warm in cold swimming pool [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wear a set of speedos under your jammers, and either a neoprene cap or a couple swim caps. That's always worked for me in colder pools.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Cannot keep warm in cold swimming pool [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim harder. It is the simple truth.

My local club pool temperature widely varies from day to day. It is not uncommon for me to see people get in swim one lap, get out and run immediately to the dome pool. And these are the same people who I see swimming laps when I can tell the water is "warmer" for that day. I swim no matter what it is like. A few weeks ago, the heater broke and I jumped in. I KNEW right away something was wrong as I would guess the water was ~60-65 degrees and I was in jammers, but I decided to just HTFU and get my set done. The next day the pool was closed with a big sign that said the heater was broke. The kicker thing was, once I got past the initial shock of jumping in water that cold w/o a wetsuit and started swimming. I didn't really notice the temps all that much, except for at the wall, which was good, because it made me not lolligag there any longer than I habsouletly had too.
Quote Reply
Re: Cannot keep warm in cold swimming pool [Roughster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have cardio equipment at the pool? Sometimes I'll do 20 minutes on a treadmill just to get my body temp up and then quickly change and get into the water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said squid lid, double caps, ear plugs, warm water/tea to drink. There also neoprene booties you can get which might help. I have a desoto top and if I was uncomfortably cold a lot, I'd wear it.

good luck. Pools that are too hot are not fun either. I could only last about 500 or so when the Y pool would go above 87 a couple times a month in the summer.

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some of the people at the pool where I swim wear a DeSoto Speedtube top and a couple of the older swimmers go with the long sleeve top. The pool is out doors and the water temp is 80. In winter the air temp gets cold in the early morning (40-50) and evening (50's).

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Cannot keep warm in cold swimming pool [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I shivvered through a 4500 yd swim today. The good news is, HS states are done, college team heads to Boston for their championship meet tomorrow - after this our pool will warm up.

My trouble is that while my core stays warm, my arms and arm muscles just feel too cold.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try the DeSoto 2mm speed tube paired with one of their tops (I'd go with sleeveless for minimal stroke restriction). Since the the top and bottom are both 2mm you won't get the flotation of a full wetsuit, and you can take off one of the pieces if you warm up.

DeSoto discontinued the 2mm SpeedTube, but they may have some 2008 stock left....and there's always eBay.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I definitely prefer a really warm pool to a cold one. I go to a couple of different pools, one which is always around 82, and the other is quite a bit cooler. I'm fine in both pools once I get going, but I'm very cold natured and it takes me awhile to warm up in the cooler pool. I'd much rather be hot when I swim than cool. It wouldn't bother me if the water was warmer than 82!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What actually is your pool temperature BTW?

I prefer a warm pool...who cares if you're warm when you workout? I like a good sweat. Besides, 5am in the winter is a hard time to go jumping in to 79 degree water.

But for what it's worth, I've found a helpful process. Wear sweats to the pool deck and do 15 minutes of calisthenics first. push-ups, jumping jacks, stretches, sit-ups. Then I'll all toasty warm and crave the cool water.
Quote Reply

Prev Next