Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Canadians at USAT Nationals?
Quote | Reply
I've emailed USAT, but no word back yet...

Wife and I apparently qualified for USAT Nationals. We're Canadian. We did some USAT events last year. Can we still go? Obviously can't make TeamUSA but I didn't see anywhere else that excluded us.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadians at USAT Nationals? [bx3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bx3 wrote:

Wife and I apparently qualified for USAT Nationals. We're Canadian. We did some USAT events last year. Can we still go? Obviously can't make TeamUSA but I didn't see anywhere else that excluded us.

You sure can...One of the toughest guys in M55-59 is Tom Mcghee. I believe he's from Ontario. He shows up every year and kicks my ass. :-)

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Canadians at USAT Nationals? [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Canadians at USAT Nationals? [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
bx3 wrote:

You sure can...One of the toughest guys in M55-59 is Tom Mcghee. I believe he's from Ontario. He shows up every year and kicks my ass. :-)

Tom McGee is a good friend of mine. USAT points and USAT nationals is what he trains for every year. He lives here in Ottawa and is one of the top masters short course athletes in the region. He is also a superb Nordic skier....and he is a dual citizen, born in South Bend Indiana if I recall correctly. Good luck beating Tom.....we've been waiting for him to slow down, but the guy is the same speed as when he was 35!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Canadians at USAT Nationals? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
stringcheese wrote:
bx3 wrote:

Tom McGee is a good friend of mine. USAT points and USAT nationals is what he trains for every year. He lives here in Ottawa and is one of the top masters short course athletes in the region. He is also a superb Nordic skier....and he is a dual citizen, born in South Bend Indiana if I recall correctly. Good luck beating Tom.....we've been waiting for him to slow down, but the guy is the same speed as when he was 35!!!!

He has some great times this year. Would be fun racing against him.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Canadians at USAT Nationals? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
....and he is a dual citizen, born in South Bend Indiana if I recall correctly.

Oh, so now I'm not certain. Is he eligible because of dual citizen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this is based on whether or not you are a usat member at time of racing, not where you live or nationality.

SO, if you race in the us with a usat membership card and qualified, good to go. If you raced in us with your canadian federation number, probably not eligible.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadians at USAT Nationals? [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone can join USAT and qualify and race at USAT nationals.

Only US citizens can qualify for Team USA though. So if he finished top 18 AG it'd be for naught as he'd not make Team USA.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadians at USAT Nationals? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But it's a fairly large to joke to make TeamCanada... it basically rolls down to anyone who wants too pay the $$$.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadians at USAT Nationals? [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
But it's a fairly large to joke to make TeamCanada... it basically rolls down to anyone who wants too pay the $$$.

Since it is a joke and so easy, have you made the team?

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Canadians at USAT Nationals? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
owen. wrote:

18 spots per age group is a joke. 6 is a more reasonable number. Thy moved it up to raise money for the race organizers and national federations. Team USA might be harder to make since the population is so much higher, but canada is very easy. Typically doesn't fill the spots and offers them for a 'charity' donation after the qualifiers are done.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadians at USAT Nationals? [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
owen. wrote:

18 spots per age group is a joke. 6 is a more reasonable number. Thy moved it up to raise money for the race organizers and national federations. Team USA might be harder to make since the population is so much higher, but canada is very easy. Typically doesn't fill the spots and offers them for a 'charity' donation after the qualifiers are done.

So what you are saying is lets have less people, so the cost would triple, less heads in bed, etc. I guess you just do not understand how this stuff gets funded. It is not the FOP racers, it is everyone else who helps fund the tops folks getting to have a race at a decent price.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bx3 wrote:

Just got official word back from USAT. Yes, eligible to participate. Not eligible for awards.
Quote Reply
Re: Canadians at USAT Nationals? [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
owen. wrote:

I used to think 18 per AG was a joke too, until I did some simple math. There are 50 states in the union, 18 slots... Less than one athlete for every two states. Suddenly the states with multiple athletes in an age group look pretty good. Obviously due to logistical challenges all states aren't represented fairly at the qualifier, but I think someone can feel pretty good about qualifying.

Powertap / Cycleops / Saris
Quote Reply
Re: Canadians at USAT Nationals? [Tulkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tulkas wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
owen. wrote:

I used to think 18 per AG was a joke too, until I did some simple math. There are 50 states in the union, 18 slots... Less than one athlete for every two states. Suddenly the states with multiple athletes in an age group look pretty good. Obviously due to logistical challenges all states aren't represented fairly at the qualifier, but I think someone can feel pretty good about qualifying.

When they bumped it up to 25 slots this year, since we host Worlds next year I thought "piece of cake". Noooope!
Quote Reply