Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can you recommend me a 70.3 race in the USA please
Quote | Reply
I’m keen to have a bit of a triathlon holiday in the US next year and was chasing some advice on a good 70.3 to do. I’ve been to the US before (Disneyland, NYC, Niagra Falls etc etc) but don’t know much about the 70.3 locations. What I’d like:

- Not too cold
- Nice and flat and quick!
- Picturesque would be great, but not essential
- I don’t mind a small race in the middle of nowhere, something different would be great
- Little risk of getting shot/mugged/carjacked

Ta!
Quote Reply
Re: Can you recommend me a 70.3 race in the USA please [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did this one last year and enjoyed it a lot. A couple big hills on the run but the bike course is super fast.

http://www.doorcountytriathlon.com

To make it even better you could do the sprint on Saturday and the half on Sunday.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you recommend me a 70.3 race in the USA please [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
What I’d like:

1. Not too cold
2. Nice and flat and quick!

3. Picturesque would be great, but not essential
4. I don’t mind a small race in the middle of nowhere, something different would be great
5. Little risk of getting shot/mugged/carjacked

Ta!

White Lake Half in White Lake, North Carolina by Set Up Events. Your choice of racing in May or September !!!

In regards to the bold above:
1. Definitely not too cold.....this race has the nickname "White Bake"
2. Pancake flat bike & run. Seriously no elevation gain whatsoever.....it may even be negative !!!!! :-)
4. This race is absolutely in the middle of nowhere.
5. No chance of being held up. The town's motto is "Worlds Safest Beach" !!!

In regards to #3.......the swim venue is absolutely stunning/beautiful/picturesque, but the bike & run.....not so much.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Patriot Half in Massachusetts. Beautiful venue, smaller race but well run, fast course. Close enough to Boston and the beaches of Cape Cod that you could get some variety in your holiday.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you recommend me a 70.3 race in the USA please [mktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh I forgot to mention, it needs to be a qualifying race for Worlds 2016.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I enjoyed St. George. Meets all your criteria, except for the part about a flat course!

Write up here:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t_reply;so=ASC;mh=25

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Can you recommend me a 70.3 race in the USA please [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
I enjoyed St. George. Meets all your criteria, except for the part about a flat course!

Write up here:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t_reply;so=ASC;mh=25

Scott

Wow looks great! Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boulder in June is picturesque, warm and flat. Oceanside in March too (some hills on bike) but Registration is limited at this point.
Last edited by: Sronk: Aug 27, 15 19:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
june lake triathlon in mammoth mountain area, California.

or

HITS Lake Havasu, AZ
Last edited by: synthetic: Aug 27, 15 20:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I was coming to the US I would do these 70.3s:

St George
Boise
Oceanside
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at St.George, Chattanooga, and New Orleans as three of mine that fit that criteria. None "horrible"...none "great".
Quote Reply
Re: Can you recommend me a 70.3 race in the USA please [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
If I was coming to the US I would do these 70.3s: ...Boise...
70.3 Boise is now 70.3 Coeur d'Alene two weeks later. That would be a good one. Probably a few lumps on the bike and run but nothing too horrible. Highly recommended along with my hometown race Victoria (OK, not USA, although it is south of the 49th) and Boulder. June's a good month for 70.3's. If you want early season Galveston is one of the flattest courses out there. Just have to deal with wind on the bike. I've been there three times and haven't been mugged - yet.

Sylvan Smyth | http://www.sportstats.asia | sylvan@sportstats.asia | Starvas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
augusta 70.3 is great
Quote Reply
Re: Can you recommend me a 70.3 race in the USA please [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:
augusta 70.3 is great

Augusta wouldn't work. He needs a Q race for 2016. The 2015 race is sold out, and the 2016 race is after 70.3 WC.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
I’m keen to have a bit of a triathlon holiday in the US next year and was chasing some advice on a good 70.3 to do. I’ve been to the US before (Disneyland, NYC, Niagra Falls etc etc) but don’t know much about the 70.3 locations. What I’d like:

- Not too cold
- I don’t mind a small race in the middle of nowhere, something different would be great

Ta!

I'm sure you read my response to your question over on BT. If you're really contemplating coming over from Oz to cherry pick a spot your race selection needs to be spot on. You have one chance. As I said on BT your 4:45 expected finish time in M40-44 on an average course is not going to do it. You will need some luck with a roll down. You're going to probably want to try one of the last Q races for the 2016 WC. Those would be the races in June and July. Syracuse, Mont-Tremblant, Couer d'Alene, Buff Springs, Muskoka, Muncie, Vineman, Racine. Among those you're going to want to pick a race that's not hugely popular. That would be Buffalo Springs, Muncie, or Racine. Syracuse and Tremblant are popular and bring out some heavy hitters from the East Coast. Vineman is insanely popular and will bring out the heavy hitters from the West Coast. Muskoka, now that it is also an IM venue, might see a rise in popularity, and it's a tough course. CdA is taking over for Boise. Boise was not a very popular race. My guess is CdA will be much more popular than Boise ever was.

Nobody wants to go to Lubbock, TX or Muncie, IN, or Racine, WI. Those races are not very popular and are late in the season. Buffalo Springs is a challenging course, which might not fit your criteria. I heard the Racine course sucks. Terrible roads, potential for a rough swim. Muncie is probably your best bet if you're looking to cherry pick.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering the picturesque is your least important factor Galveston seems like a good fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you recommend me a 70.3 race in the USA please [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Considering the picturesque is your least important factor Galveston seems like a good fit.

See my comments. 4:45 isn't going to come anywhere close to qualifying at Galveston... barring a very generous roll down which did not happen this year. 4:45 would have been 20th place last year, 26th the year before, etc.

And Galveston is one of the most popular 70.3 races... and early season. Roll down to 20th or more is unlikely.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:

- Not too cold

Ta!

I can't believe that I'm about to say this, but.......At Raleigh 70.3, In M40-44 (my age group) the last 70.3WC slots have gone to "anyone in M40-44 who wants to go to Worlds, come on down" for the past 2 years. A 4:45 would put you in a pretty good position to grab a slot if that trend holds.

ETA: event clarification (bold)

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Last edited by: japarker24: Aug 28, 15 9:53
Quote Reply
Re: Can you recommend me a 70.3 race in the USA please [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spot on with what GMAN19030 said. Muncie fits all of your criteria- I've done it over 25 times (it was the Endurathon before a WTC 70.3) and even though there is nothing grand about the venue, it keeps me coming back. Think stereotypical Midwest US: reservoir swim, flat to rolling course, cornfields and orchids. Could be brutally hot (course was shortened in 2012 due to 104° F temps) but often just typical summer conditions (80-low 90's F) by the time the run comes around. There is a solid chance to Q for worlds because of it's place on the race calendar, but not guaranteed. This race, due to its history, always brings in some exceptional regional talent. Closest major city is Indianapolis. Also, after you are done you can drive to Chicago and hang downtown for a few days. Always lots to do there in the summer. Good luck!
Quote Reply