Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Can U-Di2 6870 11 speed be adjusted to shift a 10 speed cassette?
Quote | Reply
If I buy a new bike with Ultegra Di2 6870 can the 11 speed shifter and rear derailleur be programmed to shift across a 10 speed cassette?

If it is possible will the new, narrower 11 speed chain work well on a 10 speed cassette? Or, would it be necessary to change the chain back to a 10 speed chain when programming the shifter and RD from 11 speed to 10 speed setup?

I've tried searching the forum and followed Zinn's technical articles but these specific questions weren't answered in anything I've found.
My older Zipps cannot be upgraded to 11 speed.

"on downhill bits I can sometimes attack without pedaling =)

it is the uphill bits that are hard though" Jackmott
Quote Reply
Re: Can U-Di2 6870 11 speed be adjusted to shift a 10 speed cassette? [usairl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will need to get a 6770 Rear Derailleur. The 6870 cannot be reprogrammed to run 10 speed.

The 11 speed chain will work fine on your 10 speed cassettete.
Quote Reply
Re: Can U-Di2 6870 11 speed be adjusted to shift a 10 speed cassette? [usairl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
usairl wrote:
If I buy a new bike with Ultegra Di2 6870 can the 11 speed shifter and rear derailleur be programmed to shift across a 10 speed cassette?

If it is possible will the new, narrower 11 speed chain work well on a 10 speed cassette? Or, would it be necessary to change the chain back to a 10 speed chain when programming the shifter and RD from 11 speed to 10 speed setup?

I've tried searching the forum and followed Zinn's technical articles but these specific questions weren't answered in anything I've found.

Don't overcomplicate it. Just run 10 of the 11 cogs on your Zipp wheels leaving all other components the same.
I've set up a few bikes with 11-25 or 11-28t 11 speed cassettes by just installing the first 9 cogs then adding a 12t last position cog + lockring to give you 12-25 or 12-28 10 speed cassettes that otherwise fuction with 11speed. Limit screws prevent the derailleur from overshifting.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Can U-Di2 6870 11 speed be adjusted to shift a 10 speed cassette? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:

Don't overcomplicate it. Just run 10 of the 11 cogs on your Zipp wheels leaving all other components the same.
I've set up a few bikes with 11-25 or 11-28t 11 speed cassettes by just installing the first 9 cogs then adding a 12t last position cog + lockring to give you 12-25 or 12-28 10 speed cassettes that otherwise fuction with 11speed. Limit screws prevent the derailleur from overshifting.

-SD

Thank you!
That's makes a lot of sense and is certainly less complicated than I had been thinking.

"on downhill bits I can sometimes attack without pedaling =)

it is the uphill bits that are hard though" Jackmott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another option is to install the Campy freehub body on your Zipps. If your Zipps are compatible with an 11 spd Campy freehub body then you can run an 11 spd Campy cassette on the Di2. The downside is that the Campy cassettes are usually more expensive than Shimano and might not have the exact cassette range you want.

I just tried using an 11 spd Ultegra 6800 cassette on a Campy Record EPS set up and couldn't notice a difference in the shifting quality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This might help: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...rch_string=;#4982533

I am going the 6770 RD route as I have a couple of brand new 10spd chains and cassettes. Then 2 of my wheels have 10spd hubs and 2 have 10/11spd, easy change but the biggest kicker is the roadie is still 11spd. So whenever I make the jump to 11spd it will be when I get a new roadie and then the TT bike will just need a new RD. Will let you know how it works out with the 6770. From the other thread the firmware might just need to be updated, will let you guys know.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Can U-Di2 6870 11 speed be adjusted to shift a 10 speed cassette? [afbadbrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how did this work for you? I am in a similar situation.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Re: Can U-Di2 6870 11 speed be adjusted to shift a 10 speed cassette? [COJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like a CHAMP! Literally pulled it out of the box and plugged it in and it worked. At first my 11spd gruppo hadn't come in and I just had the RD and needed to go get a fit. We took the 10spd Ultegra RD and plugged it into 11SPD Dura Ace and shifted it to the middle for the fit. Then once the 11spd Ultegra Gruppo came in we plugged the 10spd RD into it and it worked. No problems yet. Just got back from my first actual ride on the bike.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am kinda in the same situation,but I have heard, that with the new firmware for Etube, it should be possible to reprogramme a 6870 to 10 speed.

Does anyone know, if that is true?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or, if you don't want to buy a new lockring, there is a simple and free conversion option too. We wrote it up here:

http://darkspeedworks.com/blog.htm

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Can U-Di2 6870 11 speed be adjusted to shift a 10 speed cassette? [Soffe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Soffe wrote:
I am kinda in the same situation,but I have heard, that with the new firmware for Etube, it should be possible to reprogramme a 6870 to 10 speed.

Does anyone know, if that is true?

Would love to know the answer to this.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Can U-Di2 6870 11 speed be adjusted to shift a 10 speed cassette? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
usairl wrote:

-SD

Am confused by your answer. I am in the same situation as the OP. I have an older zipp disc that cannot be updated to an 11 speed. I have a 11/32 on it.

So I need to find out if I buy a new bike with Di2 6870, can I use my older zipp 10 speed 11/32 on this somehow? So this is no running 10 of the 11 cogs I believe since I only have 10 cogs?

Thanks

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Can U-Di2 6870 11 speed be adjusted to shift a 10 speed cassette? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Am confused by your answer. I am in the same situation as the OP. I have an older zipp disc that cannot be updated to an 11 speed. I have a 11/32 on it.

So I need to find out if I buy a new bike with Di2 6870, can I use my older zipp 10 speed 11/32 on this somehow? So this is no running 10 of the 11 cogs I believe since I only have 10 cogs?

As long as you run all new 11sp components, you are fine. You would need a new 11sp 11-32 cassette. Dave is just saying to run 10 of 11cogs of the 11sp, not the 10 cogs of a 10sp.
Quote Reply
Re: Can U-Di2 6870 11 speed be adjusted to shift a 10 speed cassette? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Soffe wrote:
I am kinda in the same situation,but I have heard, that with the new firmware for Etube, it should be possible to reprogramme a 6870 to 10 speed. Does anyone know, if that is true?

Would love to know the answer to this.

Shimano says, no.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Am confused by your answer. I am in the same situation as the OP. I have an older zipp disc that cannot be updated to an 11 speed. I have a 11/32 on it. So I need to find out if I buy a new bike with Di2 6870, can I use my older zipp 10 speed 11/32 on this somehow? So this is no running 10 of the 11 cogs I believe since I only have 10 cogs?

His answer is essentially the same as we have posted on our blog. But his solution just drops out a different cog to make the "hybrid" 10/11 cassette (a hybrid cassette = cassette with 10 cogs but those 10 cogs are spaced narrower per shimano's new 11-speed standard, so it works flawlessly on new 11-speed drivetrains).

Greg @ dsw

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a Zipp disc just swap to a Campagnolo freehub and use their 11 speed cassette. The spacing and shifting function for 11 speed Shimano Di2 allows it to function perfectly with 11 speed Campag.

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Can U-Di2 6870 11 speed be adjusted to shift a 10 speed cassette? [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

As long as you run all new 11sp components, you are fine. You would need a new 11sp 11-32 cassette. Dave is just saying to run 10 of 11cogs of the 11sp, not the 10 cogs of a 10sp.

Why would anyone use 10 of 11 cogs on an 11sp?

The OP said he had a older zipp with a 10 speed, and we know you cannot put an 11 speed cassette on older 10 speed hubs. (Yea, I know some mill and put 11 on this 10 but too risky for me.)

This is why I did not understand Dave's response and still and trying to understand what he was thinking.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
If you have a Zipp disc just swap to a Campagnolo freehub and use their 11 speed cassette. The spacing and shifting function for 11 speed Shimano Di2 allows it to function perfectly with 11 speed Campag.

Thank you for your attention to important details. Wink

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:

Okay, if I hear you correctly, I can take my older zipp disc, change to a campag freehub and can only use a campag cassettee on this campag freehub? Would be a possible solution but
campag does not make a 11-32 setup that I can find or was I looking in the wrong place?

Man have the bike makers made things SO complicated without having backwards compatibility? How would you like to buy a new smartphone and none of you apps worked anymore?
Or upgraded to a new OS and none of you sw worked anymore?

Seems all that has to be done is put some firmware into the Di2 6870 or 9070 or 9080 that adjusts for the 10 speed spacing. Should be pretty easy if they cared about true needs of customers
and not forcing them to buy new stuff or do some of the hack jobs I have read about.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
If it helps, from that blog page:

"Well, we had to do it because we bought a frameset. And we already had some great race and training wheels, but they were old enough that they couldn't be modified to fit 11-speed Shimano cassettes. So, what were our options? We could have tried to buy 10-speed components for our new frame, but new 10-speed parts were getting very hard to find with the options we wanted and they often cost more than similar 11-speed components. Plus, Shimano 11-speed drivetrains have some significant functional improvements that we wanted to take advantage of." The extra cog is the least of those improvements.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
SuperDave wrote:

Okay, if I hear you correctly, I can take my older zipp disc, change to a campag freehub and can only use a campag cassettee on this campag freehub? Would be a possible solution but
campag does not make a 11-32 setup that I can find or was I looking in the wrong place?

HUH?

http://bit.ly/1zZy0kb

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Man have the bike makers made things SO complicated without having backwards compatibility?

Well, be happy you're not getting a new mountain bike. It's getting beyond crazy over there with their with new wheel sizes and completely new hub standards.

Welcome to the new world order ...

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

The OP said he had a older zipp with a 10 speed, and we know you cannot put an 11 speed cassette on older 10 speed hubs. (Yea, I know some mill and put 11 on this 10 but too risky for me.)

This is why I did not understand Dave's response and still and trying to understand what he was thinking.

You've answered your own questions.

Why? Because you have wheels that can't take 11sp cassette and you want an 11sp drivetrain. Was that so hard to understand?

Now, some of us avoid this issue by continuing to use 10sp drivetrains with 10sp wheels :)
Quote Reply
Re: Can U-Di2 6870 11 speed be adjusted to shift a 10 speed cassette? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

If it helps, from that blog page:

"Well, we had to do it because we bought a frameset. And we already had some great race and training wheels, but they were old enough that they couldn't be modified to fit 11-speed Shimano cassettes. So, what were our options? We could have tried to buy 10-speed components for our new frame, but new 10-speed parts were getting very hard to find with the options we wanted and they often cost more than similar 11-speed components. Plus, Shimano 11-speed drivetrains have some significant functional improvements that we wanted to take advantage of." The extra cog is the least of those improvements.

Man, I must be having a bad day.

So I assume the frameset, and parts were for 11 speed. Di2?

But they had all their wheels 10 speed and could not be changed to any 11 speed cassettes.

They did not want to change to 10 speed parts.

So, I understand all of that.

But then to say make the 11 speed cassette so it only uses 10 cogs is where I am lost. I am assuming since he said you cannot use an 11 speed cassette
on these 10 speed hubs, it could not be done?

Now maybe this is what is trying to be said. Are the cogs on an 11 speed narrower than the 10 speed cogs? Is one saying that if one takes an 11 speed cassette,
and takes one of the cogs out with the tricks stated, that one makes the overall width of this kludge such that it fits on the 10 speed hub of the older wheel,
but because the cogs are thinner since these are 11 speed parts, you can then used this kludge on the 10 speed wheels in the 11 speed frame, but you just get 10 speeds?
If this is true, now I understand. So maybe I could take an 11/32 11 speed cassette, remove one of the cogs with some type of kludge as stated, have it fit onto my
older Zipp 10 speed hub, and end up with my older zipp working on a 11 speed Di2 with 10 cogs? Since they added one more gear in the 11/32 11 speed, if I can
take the one they added that is not in the 11/32 10 speed, this would be a killer solution to my issue. I spent over 4K for those 10 speed zipp wheels, and do not want
to spend that kind of money again for 11 speed wheels.

Quote Reply
Re: Can U-Di2 6870 11 speed be adjusted to shift a 10 speed cassette? [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

You've answered your own questions.

Why? Because you have wheels that can't take 11sp cassette and you want an 11sp drivetrain. Was that so hard to understand?

Now, some of us avoid this issue by continuing to use 10sp drivetrains with 10sp wheels :)

I am still trying to decide what I am doing. I want disc wheels, but it just seems this is way to early unless one has money to risk wasting, which I do not.

Would I like 11 speed, yes but not to have to spend tons of money for new wheels.

Would I like Di2, yes, but.

The best bang for the buck easiest option for me is to buy a Cervelo P2 10 speed with there 105 components. It comes with a compact 50/34 which is a must for me.
I really want 175 cranks which I think the P2 comes with 172.5 so would have to see if my LBS would swap. A must is a 11/32 for me so I have to see if my LBS would
change the cassette to an 11/32 and change the rear derailur. So, this is one setup I am going to ask for the cost on which by far is the cheapest and easiest to deal with.

The other would be the P3 but they do not come in 10 speed. So then, it is like 1K more for the Di2. But I then have the same wheel issue. So unless I can find a shop to
give me a decent discount, the most practical way to go is the P2 with 10 speed non Di2 parts. I just wanted to buy my dream bike, but to potential spend
10K on a bike which at best would save me 2 minutes is this worth it? Not that I could not find the money but I would not be retired if I had not been frugal with my money all my life.

Quote Reply

Prev Next