Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Campy EPS issue
Quote | Reply
Need to tap into the collective intelligence of ST because I'm stomped... Bought my wife a Cervelo NP3 that we built up with Campy SR EPS. The internal battery fits perfectly inside of the seat tube. Now here's the problem. The darn thing doesn't stay charged! I've checked all connections (even shrink wrapped them to be sure). The bike goes from fully charged to completely dead in 5 days without being used at all.

Any ideas of what do to? I would prefer not to take it completely apart again to replace the battery, but if I have to, well then I have to... just want to exhaust all other options first.

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Re: Campy EPS issue [audiojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds like you have a bad battery. I'd try putting a brand new battery on there, and see if a new one drains in 5 days. Do you have any friends or an LBS you could borrow one from?
Quote Reply
Re: Campy EPS issue [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replacing the battery is not that simple… with Campy all the leads are connected to the power unit, plus it's inside of the frame, so if I'm taking it out, then I might just as well return it to the LBS for a warranty claim. It's a brand new power unit that was installed in early December….

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, noob question.

The big difference between Campy/Shimano/SRAM is brifter ergonomics, yes? But for TT setups using bar end shifters or buttons, why spend the extra money for campy EPS vs Shimano Di2?
Quote Reply
Re: Campy EPS issue [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
believe the EPS drive train components are rebuildable.

Retul Certified Fitter. gebioMized Pressure Mapping http://www.PedPowerPerformLab.com.
Retailer of Wahoo Fitness, Sable Water Optics, Enve Composit, Giro and more.
Zone3 USA Ambassador - use code DEAN25 for 25% off
http://www.OasisOne-Twelve.com - The ultimate hands free hydration system.
https://www.athlinks.com/athletes/19354499 - results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try using a higher amperage charger.

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSully wrote:
Okay, noob question.

The big difference between Campy/Shimano/SRAM is brifter ergonomics, yes? But for TT setups using bar end shifters or buttons, why spend the extra money for campy EPS vs Shimano Di2?

Very simple, when you have 6 bikes and all are Campy, it makes perfect sense to also use Campy on your tri bike. This way, she can use the same wheels on any on her bikes. Plus she really likes Campy.

Quote Reply
Re: Campy EPS issue [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoYe wrote:

How could you do that? The Campy charger is what it is...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a similar problem but with an external EPS battery, that discharges after a couple of weeks without use. I have put now the switch-magnet in to switch off the whole system when it is not in use. See if that helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
audiojan wrote:
RoYe wrote:

Id find out the output of the charging system you are currently using, go to an electronics store and buy a compatible charging charging setup that has a bit more amperage .

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you wrapping the magnetic band around when not in use?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
audiojan wrote:
JSully wrote:
Okay, noob question.

Very simple, when you have 6 bikes and all are Campy, it makes perfect sense to also use Campy on your tri bike. This way, she can use the same wheels on any on her bikes. Plus she really likes Campy.

Ah, wheels is a great reason. Not that vanity/matching is a bad one, if your budget permits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More carbon, and the Campy aero crank might also be bling as well.

http://www.falcobike.com
https://www.facebook.com/falcobikeglobal
http://www.twitter.com/Falco_Bike
falcobike@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Campy EPS issue [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoYe wrote:
audiojan wrote:
RoYe wrote:

Id find out the output of the charging system you are currently using, go to an electronics store and buy a compatible charging charging setup that has a bit more amperage .

The connector for the internal battery is proprietary and hardwired into the charger... the above suggestion unfortunately won't work (although greatly appreciated none the less)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
11 speed Shimano/SRAM and 11 speed Campagnolo seem to match cassette spacing very closely, certainly well enough to be effectively interchangeable.....
I like Campag too though.
Quote Reply
Re: Campy EPS issue [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
I got a similar problem but with an external EPS battery, that discharges after a couple of weeks without use. I have put now the switch-magnet in to switch off the whole system when it is not in use. See if that helps.

My battery discharges lets say within a month with about 200 miles even when I put the switch-magnet in to switch off the whole system when it is not in use. The battery level indicator system does not seem to work properly, since the battery is at once empty although the lamp was green before (there is a system of different colours which should indicate the charge situation). Also when charging it seems to skip the partially charged situations.
Charging once a month is acceptable, but I hope the situation will not become worse.
The problem is, I installed the system myself (you can't do much wrong) so I do not know what the guarantee-policy of Campagnolo is in such cases.
It is a hard problem, since you can't concentrate on the battery alone, there could be a leak in some other component. (I once had a watch which quickly discharched, but the problem was not the battery).

Audiojan, how is your situation right now?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the external, Campy had one batch (one of the first...) that failed. You should probably contact them to discuss the issues and they may very well replace it under warranty. You will need to have a copy of the receipt handy.

I'm having Campy replace my internal battery under warranty. There's no known issues (after talking to Campy), so I'm thinking this is a one off. Either way, Campy has pretty good customer service, so no worries.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks I'll try that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
Thanks I'll try that.

Which is as always not easy because I need my bike now. When Campy is willing to exchange the
battery I'll try to make up a time window with them in which I can refrain from the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After my main race in may (a 70.3, where the initially fully charched battery ran out during the race but just after the last summit so that I could finish the race in one gear) I sent my external athena battery with the receipt to campagnolo. They sent me a new battery straight away on guarantee. It seems that the problems are solved now. 5 weeks ago I did another middle distance, before that I charged to be sure but that was the last time I charged and the system still has power now.
Quote Reply