Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Calling all tall racers! Let's talk fit...
Quote | Reply
I'm gearing up for the 2016 season, I need new tri shorts, new wet suit, a new top.

Here's the problem. I am 6'6, waste 32, 175lbs. I am an XL in height, a M in waste, and border M-L in chest. I have not found my "brand".

My local triathlon shops do not have a lot of "in stock" options for me to experiment with and try out. I'm looking for some direction on tall-friendly brands of tri gear. Anyone have some wins to share?

Defining my problems from last year:

Tri shorts: I wore L TYR last year, and my tri shorts fit me well however there was not much room for "the boys", and I'm no special situation if catch my drift. Everything fit will but the crotch, we're talking "ouch I think it's pinched between my leg and the bike seat", however the XL felt huge on my waste and legs.

Tri tops: Again, I wore a large TYR last year - the body fit well, it would ride up on my stomach a bit due to the length, but the top of the suit was a little loose, especially closing in on 70.3. In one race in particular, it was very hot, I sweated my butt off literally and the top came so loose it started chaffing me under my arm pit on the run. A little Vaseline fixed it for the day but ouch. A medium is like wearing a belly shirt.

Wet suit: I wore a large/tall basics sleeveless by Rocket Science for 2 years, and as I'm standing on the beach in Litchfield last year.... POP. The neck just snaps and tears about 3 inches down the front. A large wetsuit felt way too constricted, and an XL seemed a little large. I'm willing to chalk this up to wetsuit malfunction because it wasn't previously torn and I didn't snag it, as I said I was just standing there.

Any advice?

Regards,
J. Smith
Last edited by: jsmith82: Feb 4, 16 7:26
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all tall racers! Let's talk fit... [jsmith82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsmith82 wrote:
I'm gearing up for the 2016 season, I need new tri shorts, new wet suit, a new top.

Here's the problem. I am 6'6, waste 32, 175lbs. I am an XL in height, a M in waste, and border M-L in chest. I have not found my "brand".

My local triathlon shops do not have a lot of "in stock" options for me to experiment with and try out. I'm looking for some direction on tall-friendly brands of tri gear. Anyone have some wins to share?

Defining my problems from last year:

Tri shorts: I wore L TYR last year, and my tri shorts fit me well however there was not much room for "the boys", and I'm no special situation if catch my drift. Everything fit will but the crotch, we're talking "ouch I think it's pinched between my leg and the bike seat", however the XL felt huge on my waste and legs.

Tri tops: Again, I wore a large TYR last year - the body fit well, it would ride up on my stomach a bit due to the length, but the top of the suit was a little loose, especially closing in on 70.3. In one race in particular, it was very hot, I sweated my butt off literally and the top came so loose it started chaffing me under my arm pit on the run. A little Vaseline fixed it for the day but ouch. A medium is like wearing a belly shirt.

Wet suit: I wore a large/tall basics sleeveless by Rocket Science for 2 years, and as I'm standing on the beach in Litchfield last year.... POP. The neck just snaps and tears about 3 inches down the front. A large wetsuit felt way too constricted, and an XL seemed a little large. I'm willing to chalk this up to wetsuit malfunction because it wasn't previously torn and I didn't snag it, as I said I was just standing there.

Any advice?

6'5" 160lbs. Waste 31

The only wetsuit I found that works is the DeSoto. I have like a size 4 top and size 5 bottom.

Tri tops as all just too short.

Been wearing medium shorts.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh.. I hear you.

I'm 6'5", 32" waist, 35" inseam, weigh 173 lbs-ish, and also M-L chest.

You're probably like me and have given up on finding a one-piece tri suit that works.

The best fit I've found for shorts and tops are Orca (I have no idea if there's a model number or name.. both are black with white accents). Medium shorts and L top. The top is a little loose but a M top was just way too short and tight in the armpits.

As for the wetsuit, this is a tough one. I wear a Large - Tall from 2XU and even with that I have to pull the legs up quite a bit. The bottom of the legs sit several inches over my ankle joint.

hope that helps
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all tall racers! Let's talk fit... [bigredrude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll second Orca tops. I'm not as tall as the op at 6'3", but I have an extremely long torso (slender waist and monkey arms too), so finding a fit has been very tough. Orca tops are some of the only ones that don't make me look/feel like I'm wearing a sports bra.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all tall racers! Let's talk fit... [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a little taller (6'7") and a little bigger (race around 187lbs.).

Like h2ofun, I wear a Desoto wetsuit. The 2-piece system provides more flexibility for fit.

I've basically given up on a 1-piece trisuit. For a tri top, I found that Skinfit has a tri top that is a little more material for taller folks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6'5", 32 waist, 175lbs. I found a 2XU one-piece a few years ago that actually works. Perhaps the comp version? It's snug getting on but stretchy enough in the top that I don't notice it once I get going. Looks like they've changed their lineup though so not sure if the current suits fit the same. Only used it for short course.

Otherwise desoto tri shorts size L and whatever top I can find. Will have to try the Orca. Agree on the Xterra M-Long wetsuit it works reasonably well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not quite in your boat, since at 6'3" / 156-158lbs plenty of stock stuff still fits me, BUT I do have to pick and choose pretty carefully. But for you, I'd say you are the guaranteed case of needing two-piece everything. As others have said, DeSoto for the wetsuit. No doubt there. On the clothing side, you have a lot more choices. I wear a M across the board in Louis Garneau, and I think a L would work great for you. Their sleeved tri top and shorts both fit snug but with good length, so a L should give you the length you need but without being overly baggy.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6'6" 190 34 waist

Desoto 2 piece wetsuit. #man_capri.

once you try the speedtube "pants", you will not go back to a one piece wetsuit.

I think the same will apply to all of us for swimskins and skinsuits, etc. Everything has to be two piece.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all tall racers! Let's talk fit... [Slick_D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slick_D wrote:
6'6" 190 34 waist

Desoto 2 piece wetsuit. #man_capri.

once you try the speedtube "pants", you will not go back to a one piece wetsuit.

I think the same will apply to all of us for swimskins and skinsuits, etc. Everything has to be two piece.

Great point, everything I have to wear is 2 piece.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My advice would be to eat a sandwich. Then drink a beer or four. Then eat another sandwich. After that, most stuff should fit a little better.

Personally at 6'5" and 210 at the moment, I wear a 2XU top and shorts and have found they work great. Roka sleeveless wetsuit also great, although I had to play with a couple different sizes before I "matched". Even then, they were a little short on the legs.

http://Everydadironman.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6'7" 195lbs

+1 on the de soto wetsuit recommendations. It's the only thing I've found that fits. I went sleeveless because nothing seems to fit with my shoulders, and got the separate wetsuit sleeves.

I also wear the riviara 2 piece for now. I just ordered the new 2xu sleeved one piece. I'll report back on fit when it comes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6'5" and on race day I try to get down to 185, but I'm usually in the upper 190's.

Blueseventy size Large wetsuit works best for me. (No need to cut the sleeves or legs like most athletes do)

In terms of one piece trisuits... I've found the size XL Tyr Carbon Trisuit Short John Rear Zip w/ Pad, to be pretty good. I bought 2 from 2013, and I haven't tried the newest model yet.

I can feel it a little lose when its soaked from the swim, but it dries super fast, and I haven't really had any chaffing issues even through 70.3.

I've actually been thinking of going with 2 piece suits from now on, maybe along the lines of the old speedo fastkin belly exposed trisuits, since its going to happen anyway.
I'm sick of my tri-clothes turning me into a sail boat.

I swim fast because I'm afraid of sharks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'4", 32" waist and 175lbs. I had the 2 piece Desoto suit like everyone has mentioned and it did fit well, but I went back to a 2XU one piece I found that fits me equally as well. I have the Desoto suit for sale in the classifieds if you are interested.

I went with the Garneau M2 sleeved top and bottoms (again 2 piece). I ordered both the M and the L, and the L fit me best so I returned the M. Never been happier than with this purchase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6'5" 210lbs. 35 waist. Just go old school and rock the speedo and mankini.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all tall racers! Let's talk fit... [Sasquatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6' 3" and 205 lbs... i'm feeling short and fa around you bean polls.

Brooklyn Tri Dad
https://www.facebook.com/brooklyntridad/?ref=hl
http://brooklyntridad.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/BrooklynTriDad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll continue the specs. 6' 4" 170 lbs (race weight) 38" inseam 32" waist

For wetsuits I've had good luck with the Xterra size ML. It's a bit short in the arms and legs, but that isn't a problem. The body fits me fine.

As others have said, 2 piece for racing.

-- Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Desoto is the overall pick for wetsuit based on feedback, and Louis Garneau and Orca are the primary picks for tri tops and bottoms.

This gives me some ground to start my search, much appreciated. I will share what I go with, and look forward to hopefully more replies, I'll chart this out in my first reply for anyone else who stumbles on it in the future.

It's great to hear LG fits taller racers, the kit for my local club is LG.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fellas rocking the 2 piece Desoto, what's the warmth like on that? Does a lot of water creep in through the swim?

One of my later year races, it's common for the water temp to get in the 50's. And I'll be honest, I hate cold swims. My IM is suggested for upper 60's which is perfect.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsmith82 wrote:
Fellas rocking the 2 piece Desoto, what's the warmth like on that? Does a lot of water creep in through the swim?

One of my later year races, it's common for the water temp to get in the 50's. And I'll be honest, I hate cold swims. My IM is suggested for upper 60's which is perfect.

Never had an issue with Desoto and water "getting" in. I do plenty of early season races with the water in the low 50's.
Now, I still have my water rover Desoto which was the best in real cold water.

Quote Reply
Re: Calling all tall racers! Let's talk fit... [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went ahead and emailed a rep from their company for sizing, looks like I'd wear a 4 for bottoms, but sit between a 5 and 6 on the tops..

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought I would check back in and let you guys know I bought the bib john and pull over from De Soto.

Get this - I have the rip in my old wetsuit, De Soto is running a deal right now where you send in your old suit, damaged or not, and they will knock 200 dollars off a T1 top/bottom Black Pearl purchase, which is 500 dollars. So 40% off - I bought a t-shirt as well, my total for everything was 310.00.

This goes through February, they collect and recycle / refurbish / reuse the old wetsuits for those in need. Coupon code: SAVETHEPLANET

And to add, Emilio and team have customer service on a whole other level. I was very impressed.

Thanks all for the recommendations - nothing like spending a couple hundred dollars and feeling GOOD about it.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I better rethink my desire to get to a racing weight in the low 180's! At 6'5", 190-195, 34" waist, longer legs, shorter upper body I am perfectly fine with 2XU X3 LT size one piece wetsuit (both sleeved and sleeveless) and a DeSoto XL tri-suit. Both fit well though I can see the wetsuit being too small for someone with a longer upper body. It was close to being too tight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was some guy on this forum who was about your height and went with a virklon suit, that seemed to work pretty well for him.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5078310;search_string=virklon;#5078310
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6'8" 195 raceweight here. Not sure about waist measurements, fairly proportional maybe on the skinny side. Wetsuit I wear a medium tall (Zone3). It looks ridiculous because the arms and legs only reach halfway down my lower legs/forearms but for the rest it fits. I tried on a couple of suits at a testday, the Zone3 suits were the best for me (and my entry budget) Aquasphere also had a suit that fit me well. Anything larger would have been for heavier folks and not fit as well.

Trisuit I wear a one piece sleeved suit, Zoot Ultra Aero, size large. It's not overly tight on the crown jewels but a bit tough to get onto the shoulders, although I also partially attribute this to the zipper which only goes down 2/3 or so. Its fairly snug in the upper as well as the legs but I think this is how the suits should fit and if anything, might make me stay in aero longer ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all tall racers! Let's talk fit... [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am tall and extremely skinny especially shoulders and arms, I ended getting my wetsuit made to measure by snugg wetsuit in the UK. Best decision ever. I love the wetsuit and it has been going strong for 4 seasons now.

Cycling/run gear: the louis garneau stuff works really well for me. I have had some 2xu tri shorts as well that fit well.
Quote Reply

Prev Next