Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Calling all physical therapists: how do I maximize rehab after radius fracture?
Quote | Reply
Fractured the radius and ulna 6.5 weeks ago. It was right near the end of the bone, displaced, and in multiple pieces. No surgery was needed. I was in a cast until week 4, then splint for the last 2 weeks. Yesterday the doc took an x-ray and gave the thumbs up for removing the splint all the time and starting to use it like a normal arm. Even said I could start swimming, he actually said swimming is a great idea.

Little did I know, I have approximately 10% of the normal range of motion and considerable pain at the extreme ends of each range of motion axis! There is no way I can swim properly, although tonight I will at least try.

I initially thought that it's "just going to hurt" moving my wrist through each range of motion, but it is actually physically impossible. There is still noticeable swelling too.

My question:

What can I do to fast-track my rehab? I've been doing gentle range of motion exercises that I found on youtube, and I'm also going to go in the sauna daily. I'll also attempt to swim as best as I can.

Are there any other tricks (heat, cold, massage, etc?) to get this wrist back in action?

----------------------------------------------------------------
my strava
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all physical therapists: how do I maximize rehab after radius fracture? [lschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Broke my radius Dec 21st, cast 6 weeks, PT/rehab/range of motion since then (about 8 weeks now). Still very sore, still lacking full range of motion, still lacking the ability to do things that require strength and dexterity (like twisting a door knob and pulling hard at the same time; like handling a large cordless drill, etc.). The tendons were effed and sore as hell. Slow, slow rehab if your tendons are hurt.

Just push yourself daily, try to get the blood flowing (tendons have very low bloodflow and heal very slowly). Your PT should hurt every day. It gets better, but it's sloooooooowwwwwww.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all physical therapists: how do I maximize rehab after radius fracture? [lschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go see a Physical therapist. There they can mobilize the carpal joints/wrist properly and offer education on improving your own PROM home exercises.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all physical therapists: how do I maximize rehab after radius fracture? [BubbaKardashian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm dealing with the same break... had surgery about 3 weeks ago. When were you able to ride outside again?
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all physical therapists: how do I maximize rehab after radius fracture? [cruzn83180] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about the break!

Every day you'll want to do a combination of slow/steady stretching to try to gain more range of motion and follow it up with actively moving through that range you just gained.

Heat can help with tissue pliability prior to stretching, ice will be worth its weight in gold after you've used it for a while.

If you can, get a PT referral. If you can't, go to your LBS and see if any PT's regularly come in. Most PT's, like me, would be happy to take a look at you for a friendly 6-pack of something tasty.

Cheers!
Bill
Quote Reply