Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Calling all fatties, plumpers, big-boned and lard butts *contest over - winner announced!
Quote | Reply
I am inspired by McNulty's thread "The unbearable being of lightness" and want to up the ante a bit.

Hello everyone, my name is The Wall and I'm fat (5'10" 212 lbs). I don't want to be fat. But I haven't been willing to make the changes necessary. I've been happy to finish races rather than actually race them. I'm making the change now though dangit!

Who else isn't happy where they are and ready to make that change - right before the holiday season?

Here's my proposal: Slowtwitch biggest loser or some other name that doesn't infringe on any copyrights. I will give a $100 gift certificate (Trisports.com, Visa, Krispy Kreme, whatever) to the winner of our contest. Since I will not be the judge I am eligible to win (or at least not have to pay).

Rules:

1) Sell your case to the twitchers (set a goal and document progress-pictures, stories, lies, whatever) (try to limit goals to weight/BMI type goals rather than performance - that's for another day).
2) twitchers vote on winner
3) I send gift card after winner declared
4) 1 winner - no ties. If voting tied then voting continues for a day until not tied
5) Start now end March 31st? (open to discussion here)
6) Smack talk welcome (I'm not an idiot so might as well acknowledge that it's coming)
7) If you cheat you better get away with it or you're disqualified

Any questions/suggestions - bring it.

P.S. This is not a Slowtwitch sponsored event and I have not asked Dan for permission to do this so if this disappears it isn't my fault...I promise!
Last edited by: The Wall: Apr 9, 15 13:34
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all fatties, plumpers, big-boned and lard butts [The Wall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forgot:

My goal: I ultimately want to get down to 180-185 range but not by March 31st unless I start removing body parts. So, I'll say my goals are to cut out soda and weigh 195-ish by then.

I will officially start my weigh in tomorrow morning.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all fatties, plumpers, big-boned and lard butts [The Wall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going to need a gift certificate for Mcdonald's because after I win there won't be much left of me!

Staz 6'1" 150 lbs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is bias against us folks who have always tried to stay at race weight. Guess it must be time to call the ACLU. :o)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all fatties, plumpers, big-boned and lard butts [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or you could go in reverse and set a goal to get fat. Would be a heck of a lot easier to win.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all fatties, plumpers, big-boned and lard butts [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
This is bias against us folks who have always tried to stay at race weight. Guess it must be time to call the ACLU. :o)

Nope. For you it would be AARP. :p

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Wall wrote:
Or you could go in reverse and set a goal to get fat. Would be a heck of a lot easier to win.

Maybe base it on absolute value of percentage of body weight change?

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Wall wrote:
Forgot:

My goal: I ultimately want to get down to 180-185 range but not by March 31st unless I start removing body parts. So, I'll say my goals are to cut out soda and weigh 195-ish by then.

I will officially start my weigh in tomorrow morning.

Great. That's your goal.

What's your plan?

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'10, 200#. Hoping to make it to 209# by May - that will make me officially obese according to the BMI calculations...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all fatties, plumpers, big-boned and lard butts [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plan is simple but not sure if it'll work or not but it's my plan until something needs to change:

Step 1) I HAVE to get rid of soda. I've known this all my life. I've made significant reduction but have to get rid of the final 1-2 sodas I drink per day. I know this is at least one huge key.
Step 2) I have to do better managing stress. I do have a stressful job that makes it hard to shut off sometimes. I have to find better balance. I 'think' a stronger focus on weight and performance will help but this is kind of an unknown to me. There are a lot of factors out of my control with regard to the work load coming in and complexity of it, etc.
Step 3) Better focus on performance. Instead of only going for a six mile run - add time elements to it. This should promote better/more efficient training rather than the usual training for the sake of training.
Step 4) Food portions: I'm not the worst eater in the bunch but not the best either. I started getting meals from My Fit Foods. They're definitely serving their purpose but I need to be able to work around them. I'm not a cook so I need to find ways of working through this part.
Step 5) Random contests on message boards.

Really, that's all I got so far. I know Step one will be a catalyst for Step 3...how can it not? So basically: eat better/train better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Wall wrote:

I dont know if you guys remember this, but way back in the dotcom boom, there was a site called TheSpark that did all sorts of oddball stunts, like monitor decomposing meat and McDonalds left outside for 30 days, or wear a plastic bag around the feet and not wash them for 30 days. Anyway, they did a fat competition for 30 days. It was HILARIOUS.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010413084456/http://thespark.com/science/fat/day0.html
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all fatties, plumpers, big-boned and lard butts [sjcby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sjcby wrote:
The Wall wrote:

I dont know if you guys remember this, but way back in the dotcom boom, there was a site called TheSpark that did all sorts of oddball stunts, like monitor decomposing meat and McDonalds left outside for 30 days, or wear a plastic bag around the feet and not wash them for 30 days. Anyway, they did a fat competition for 30 days. It was HILARIOUS.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010413084456/http://thespark.com/science/fat/day0.html[/quote]

It would be fun to see how close a pro triathlete could come to qualifying for "The Biggest Loser".

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
189.8 according to my scale about 30 seconds ago...old race weight was 165...before med school, divorce, etc.

Time to head to the gym to suffer.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all fatties, plumpers, big-boned and lard butts [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's interesting to note how research has not been able to identify an effective weight loss strategy for humans. Simply put, study participants who lose weight gain it back. Therefore the scientific and medical fields have failed to cure individuals of a certain weight, therefore, the medical field blames the behavior of individual for having an undesirable weight. If you don't believe this, who does gastric bypass surgery exist?

I say quit looking at the weight scale and worry instead about your strength, blood pressure, blood glucose, flexibility, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Wall wrote:
Plan is simple but not sure if it'll work or not but it's my plan until something needs to change:

Step 1) I HAVE to get rid of soda. I've known this all my life. I've made significant reduction but have to get rid of the final 1-2 sodas I drink per day. I know this is at least one huge key.
Step 2) I have to do better managing stress. I do have a stressful job that makes it hard to shut off sometimes. I have to find better balance. I 'think' a stronger focus on weight and performance will help but this is kind of an unknown to me. There are a lot of factors out of my control with regard to the work load coming in and complexity of it, etc.
Step 3) Better focus on performance. Instead of only going for a six mile run - add time elements to it. This should promote better/more efficient training rather than the usual training for the sake of training.
Step 4) Food portions: I'm not the worst eater in the bunch but not the best either. I started getting meals from My Fit Foods. They're definitely serving their purpose but I need to be able to work around them. I'm not a cook so I need to find ways of working through this part.
Step 5) Random contests on message boards.

Really, that's all I got so far. I know Step one will be a catalyst for Step 3...how can it not? So basically: eat better/train better.

To piggy on Steps 1& 4, and of course just my 2 cents and experience, start using My Fitness Pal. I don't totally buy the calorie counts for my workouts BUT I have dropped several pounds so there's that.

Anyway, my point is that it's great to track your calorie intake and MAKE SMARTER CHOICES. It can be a real kick in the groin when you realize how many calories that 'quick snack' contained. I suppose this is doubly for you and soda. Hard numbers for ya.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all fatties, plumpers, big-boned and lard butts [sjcby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that was hilarious. And disgusting.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all fatties, plumpers, big-boned and lard butts [WaitWhat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will start using that. Thanks for the advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You need to learn to cook your own food if you TRULY want to be successful in my opinion. You need to know and control what you are eating. Just buying the food is almost the equivalent to buying a TT Superbike and riding up on the base bars. You need to learn and understand how specific food items effect you specifically.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all fatties, plumpers, big-boned and lard butts [Bull_Winkle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bull_Winkle wrote:
It's interesting to note how research has not been able to identify an effective weight loss strategy for humans. Simply put, study participants who lose weight gain it back. Therefore the scientific and medical fields have failed to cure individuals of a certain weight, therefore, the medical field blames the behavior of individual for having an undesirable weight. If you don't believe this, who does gastric bypass surgery exist?

I say quit looking at the weight scale and worry instead about your strength, blood pressure, blood glucose, flexibility, etc.

I like this approach of not looking at the scale. In my experience it does more damage than good (especially if your weighing yourself frequently...it will never seem like "enough"). Also will emphasis just taking care of #1 and #4 (with the added bonus of eating smaller NUTRITIOUS portions). You'll shed weight very quickly..

Speaking from personal experience, just swap out 3-4 beers a day for the soda portion, and I did #1 and #4.. Went from 220 to 175 in roughly 6 months. Almost too fast. This was 2 years ago. Have kept up with it w/o really denying myself anything super awesome and I just fluctuate between 175-180. I'm 6'1.

The tricky part, again from my experience, is not "rewarding" yourself for training hard etc. Try to view your nutrition as part of your event. I've heard folks call it the 4th discipline.Just figure out a way to view nutrition that motivates you and you'll get there in no time. Your palate will change over time and you'll start to notice (when you splurge a bit) that a coke or taco bell tastes kinda funny and ultimately make you feel like shit. This is a great thing IMO.

Anyhow wanted to chime in as I've been there. Best wishes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a head start and I'm well in the lead!

Show me the money!

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like to get into the low 130's from the low 140's without getting sick. That's about 7% of my body weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all fatties, plumpers, big-boned and lard butts [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice. I will still do my official weigh in tomorrow then try to hide my scale for a while. I'm certainly motivated at the moment. I know the bigger challenges await.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all fatties, plumpers, big-boned and lard butts [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bring it!
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all fatties, plumpers, big-boned and lard butts [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Convince everyone to vote for you and it's yours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn, did this last year, went from 207 to 170 at 5'10" over about 9 months or so. Amazing what triathlon training and slightly improved eating habits can do.
Quote Reply

Prev Next