Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cali 0.5 - Weather, Gears, and Cars
Quote | Reply
All I can say is that I hope the weather next weekend is not like this weekend when it comes time to start the Cali 1/2 IM. This weekend has certainly been beautiful, but not my idea of ideal tri weather. 90 degrees and WINDY. I really hope the wind dies down for next weekend. Man, I can't wait to race!!

Out of curiousity, what gearing are y'all planning on using for the race? It's looking like I'm going to go with a 12/25 which has me a bit bummed b/c I'm most comfortable with an 11/23 but I don't want to blow up on the hills since I'm not in the shape I planned to be by now.

Also, and yes, I am rambling, did somebody release something into the drinking water this weekend?? On my Saturday ride I lost count of how many close calls I had with cars. Seriously. I even had a tangle with one as the driver made a last minute right turn with no signal right in front of me. I slid right into the side of her truck. It just seemed that more people than normal had their heads up their hiney. And for God's sake people, hang up the cell phone while driving. Better yet, throw the damn things out. I used to be very pro-cell phone, but when I'm out running or riding, 9 out of 10 of my "near misses" are from people on their damn phones. When did we all become so important??
Quote Reply
Re: Cali 0.5 - Weather, Gears, and Cars [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 10-day forecast calls for a few showers on Saturday in Oceanside.

I'm going with either 54/39 in the front and either 11/23 or 11/21 on the back. I tried a 11/21 this weekend and though I would miss my 39-23 but never even noticed. It was nice having that extra gear in the middle.

Ross Hoopingarner
Quote Reply
Re: Cali 0.5 - Weather, Gears, and Cars [Hoop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never actually ridden the hills on the base, so I don't know what to expect. Have you been on the hilly part of the course? Any idea what it compares to in terms of other rides around the county? I usually do all of my North County/inland rides with the 11/23 except Palomar where I'll Sally it up to the 25. Hmmmm, I'm guessing that the grade and distance of the hills will be comparable to the Lake Wohlford climb. I just might do the 11/23...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No I haven't ridden that hill but compared to some of my rides in Saddleback Canyon it's no bad. But think of it this way, if you can set your ego aside for a minute, I would rather have a 25 if I'm not sure and not use it rather than have an 11 that I might use very spareingly but get clobbered on a hill with my 23. How much of your ride do you really think you will be in the 11?

Ross Hoopingarner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you guys talking about 650 or 700c? I was planning on using 53/39, 12-23 (700c), the climbs don't look so bad that I'll need any lower than that. Taking my 12-25 cassette as well just in case, though.

Personally, I hope the weather is shitty.

Have fun.

J.
Quote Reply
Re: Cali 0.5 - Weather, Gears, and Cars [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you guys please stop complaining about 90 degrees and windy. I would give anything for a day were it was 60 and windy. A little sick of snow. We got another dusting last night.

Adam - north of Toronto.
Quote Reply
Re: Cali 0.5 - Weather, Gears, and Cars [Yarf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Can you guys please stop complaining about 90 degrees and windy. I would give anything for a day were it was 60 and windy. A little sick of snow. We got another dusting last night. [/reply]

Ah, but you may get lucky and have both! Cool and foggy at the swim and first 25 miles or so of the bike, then sunny and 90F for about 20 miles, then back into the fog and cold, with a wicked headwind to finish off the last 10 miles of the bike. At least that's how 2000 IM Cal was.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
700cc 12/27. Ok, I am a wuss. I still haven't got my climbing legs back from last year and I want to be spinning up those hills ! The water is frigging cold too ! I am getting pre-race butterflies already !
Quote Reply
Re: Cali 0.5 - Weather, Gears, and Cars [Ross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The weather report still says 'few showers' for oceanside on race day. With the 25mph rule on the back side of the big hill and the rain, it looks like bike splits will be longer than normal.

Ross Hoopingarner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's still pretty early in the season for me. Without the ability to ride the course I'm playing it safe. 700 wheels...54/39 and a 12/25. Taking it easy on the climbs so I can burn up the run course (hopefully).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Hmmmm, I'm guessing that the grade and distance of the hills will be comparable to the Lake Wohlford climb. "

Not even close to being that steep. I don't think it's as steep as the Torrey Pines Grade south of Del Mar. My guess is you'll crest those hills and think, "That was nuthin." They're just "flats on an incline".

Still -- I'd be on a 39x23 because I like to keep the rpms up. If it was Oly distance, I'd do that kind of hill in 39x19.

Have fun out there folks! I'm bummed that I'll be missing it :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
weather forecast seems to be improving by the hour.. we're down to a 10% chance of precipitation... looks like we're in for a nice race day!
Quote Reply
Re: Cali 0.5 - Weather, Gears, and Cars [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ooh goodie!! I was figuring that it was going to be much worse than Torrey. Looks like I can use a cassette that will put hair on my chest. Thanks.

Looks like I need to improve to map reading skills...
Quote Reply
Re: Cali 0.5 - Weather, Gears, and Cars [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's been a few years, but i think the first major climb on the back side is definitely steeper than torrey pines. it is significantly shorter however. that's the only one to really be concerned about and it is short enough that it shouldn't be too hard to stand up and grind it out if need be. and you don't have to worry about coming back and doing it a second time like the full ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Ooh goodie!! I was figuring that it was going to be much worse than Torrey. Looks like I can use a cassette that will put hair on my chest. Thanks.

Looks like I need to improve to map reading skills...
Tear it up, Pooks! I'm going to be spectating with my baby girl.
Quote Reply