Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Calf knot Day 3
Quote | Reply
Hey all, have a crazy calf knot that just wont go away! Been to massage therapist with no luck and it f'n hurt! Tried heat, stretch etc. Anyone else ever had this?
any remedies work?
Last edited by: k89533720: Jan 26, 15 15:08
Quote Reply
Re: Calf knot Day 3 [k89533720] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had one after Ironman Boulder & it lasted for several months. Went off my massage therapist's suggestion to try a magnesium supplement called CALM. She thought it could be a deficiency in those levels...because she had the same thing happen to her.
Fizzes like Alka Seltzer (bought the unflavored one). Within about a week, it was gone. Not sure if that was really what did it but the timing was really peculiar if it wasn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dry needling might help ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try looking up "Calf Heart Attack" in Running Times. They talk about microtears in the muscle and a spasm that forms around the torn muscle, making the knot that you feel. Pretty much describes what happened to me. Not sure if it applies to anyone else.
Quote Reply
Re: Calf knot Day 3 [jsal61] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsal61 wrote:
Try looking up "Calf Heart Attack" in Running Times. They talk about microtears in the muscle and a spasm that forms around the torn muscle, making the knot that you feel. Pretty much describes what happened to me. Not sure if it applies to anyone else.

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/calf-heart-attacks?page=single
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a sore soleus in the late part of 2014 that kept me out of running commission for 2-3 weeks. I just did regular (painful) foam rolling and stayed off the treadmill and hit the elliptical instead with limited pain.

How often do you visit the therapist? Only as a reactive measure or preventative on a regular basis? If it's a big knot it may require more than one session.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These things take time. Had a nasty knot in my lateral gastrocnemius which was caused from acute trauma (kicked directly in the calf playing football). It took about a week to loosen it up to the point I could walk without feeling sore/pain. Another week before it was just tight but didn't hinder activities. Had the wife massage the area daily for at least a week (it was extremely sensitive that resting my calf on a foam roller with the weight of my leg only was too much to bear). While it didn't feel like it pain wise the wife mentioned it was slowly getting smaller in size (the knot) during the week I had her work on it for me. Unfortunately it is something that magically won't get better quickly (at least in my experience and I tend to have very tight calfs and problems with them cramping quite a bit....ever since I was a kid I've had to deal with calf issues).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try going to an ART, unless the massage person you went to was really, really qualified.

I, and 2 other people I know, had a very similar issue and an ART guy here in SF fixed us very quickly. And what he did was not really comparable to a massage.

Good luck!
Quote Reply