Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Calf issues and cleat position...
Quote | Reply
Could the position of my cycling shoe when clipped in be causing me calf tightness/calf issues? Anyone ever had calf issues then re-adjust the cleat and have it make a difference? I am dealing with some calf strains and had gone to PT, done the exercises etc...The lady at PT did say I have little to no flexibility in my calves. So we worked on that and things got better but then I injured the opposite leg. But, I fell into the, "Things got better and stopped the exercises/stretches etc...". I should have continued them. As many know its a frustrating injury. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Calf issues and cleat position... [tribuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is second hand knowledge: I was looking for new bike fit and sent out message to local tri club for recommendations....One member told me she had had calf issues for a couple of yrs and when she got a re-fit there were some tweaks to her cleats and damn calf issues cleared up pretty quick after that.

Hope that helps

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it can. As a gross generalization if you are having calf issues, move your cleats all the way back on your shoes and have your seat on the low range of acceptable. Some float rather than locked also usually desirable as well as some abduction in most people. Of course, continue with your PT: posterior calf stretches, deep tissue massage, etc.

Quote | Reply
I used to have major problems with calf tightness and cramping off the bike. I literally couldn't do a race without having problems. I moved my cleats all the way back and use a 4.5 degree float cleat and haven't had any problems in 2 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Calf issues and cleat position... [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rroof wrote:
Yes, it can. As a gross generalization if you are having calf issues, move your cleats all the way back on your shoes and have your seat on the low range of acceptable. Some float rather than locked also usually desirable as well as some abduction in most people. Of course, continue with your PT: posterior calf stretches, deep tissue massage, etc.

+1 on moving your cleats back.
Quote Reply
Re: Calf issues and cleat position... [LSchmitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same issues I had and same result, except I went a little more extreme in getting the speedplay aluminum extenders to move my cleat back as far as possible without having to get new shoes or redrill my existing shoes.
I liked it so much that I carried that setup over to both road and track bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What pedals do you use?

'Tight calves' are often a sign of over-activation, the gastrocnemius often acts as a stabiliser, using its 2 heads to control the position of the ankle via the Achilles tendon.
Tightness can often be a cause of extra control requirement.

This in cycling cleat positon can often be caused by a lateral rock. This is found in almost all cleat systems when they are worn. Each time you put the power down and the foot is rocking from side to side the calf is trying to control things.

Get new cleats, with a resonable amount of rotational float and jobs a good un!

Running analysis based in Leeds UK.
http://www.trimechanics.co.uk

https://www.facebook.com/trimechanics
Quote Reply
Re: Calf issues and cleat position... [Tri-Mechanics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies and very sound advice! I have an old set of Look pedals. I have upgraded bikes twice in a decade but still have the same pedals, go figure. I have a half iron next weekend so I don't think I'm going to change anything right now cause I'll probably screw up something else. The bike fitter I use in our area is very knowledgeable (Dean from Fit Werx in Peabody) and I am probably going to see him after this race. Also, when I was on the trainer two days ago with Trainer Road those messages pop up telling me to just let the legs dangle and relax the calves. When I focus and do that I can still put down the required watts and the calves do seem to be less stressed. I am registered for Ironman Texas in May and have to get this squared away!
Quote Reply
Re: Calf issues and cleat position... [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew69 wrote:
Same issues I had and same result, except I went a little more extreme in getting the speedplay aluminum extenders to move my cleat back as far as possible without having to get new shoes or redrill my existing shoes.
I liked it so much that I carried that setup over to both road and track bikes.

Same here. Using the SpeedPlay aluminum extenders with the cleats as far back as possible banished my nasty calf cramps and post ride charlie horses.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply