Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

CX seapost?
Quote | Reply
I've had chronic problems with the seatpost on my CX bike coming loose and then having my saddle slide along the rails during races.
Until it starts raining here in October, ground is almost as hard as cement and at race speeds the bike gets a lot of shaking over rough terrain.
It is just a cheap post, time to upgrade.

1. I don't want carbon, I don't think it is up to the abuse and/or not worth the money to shave a little weight. I want reliable.
2. I was going to get a Ritchey Pro (alloy), no one seems to have them in stock. The WCS alloy has a single bolt design, which is what my
current post that doesn't work well has, so I'm concerned about it (although I generally use anything Ritchey, it is great stuff).

What do you recommend? Thompson is really nice, anyone use it for cross? Does it take the abuse?
Quote Reply
Re: CX seapost? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thompson bits are like Chris King bits - set it and forget it. Worth the extra $ to never have to worry about it ever again.

You tried Loctite on the bolts?

PS - CF is surprisingly and ridiculously strong.
Not that you need or want to spend extra $ for it, but "don't think it is up to the abuse" is not part of the decision matrix.
I've had CF parts on my mtbs for eons, and they've been bomber.

My wife even drove the car into the garage w/ our bikes on top (there were indents in the wall where the barends impacted), and the CF handlebars on my bike were unscathed, and I kept riding it for many more years after w/ no issues.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run a saddle with Carbon rails and a carbon seatpost with no issues. ( I actually cracked a plastic saddle on my b-bike in super cold race (ie 0 degrees to negative) last year). So the stuff is pretty durable.

With that said, 9 times out of 10 I reach for a Thomson. (I just happened to be 1 Thomson short and my last 27.2 seatpost was Carbon). The most important thing is that a 2 bolt seatpost (where there's one bolt in front and behind the post) is an absolute must. Otherwise you'll eventually have the nose sticking up your grundle after a botched remount.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you race today (double cross)?

Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Thompson bits are like Chris King bits - set it and forget it. Worth the extra $ to never have to worry about it ever again.

You tried Loctite on the bolts?

Tried the loctite. Like my old track coach used to say, "You can't make chicken salad out of chickenshit".
Quote Reply
Re: CX seapost? [TriSliceRS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriSliceRS wrote:
Did you race today (double cross)?

You mean "Dusty Cross". Saturday was enough, 35+ B. Just wanted to check out the equipment before any of the races where I think I can do well. Need new seatpost. Dropped a chain that turned into kind of fiasco, real head scratcher. After a runup the chain comes off the crank arm side and I tried to pedal through and end up wrapping the chain around the crankarm and then it gets stuck. How does that even happen? The dust was ridiculous, I almost rode into that tree in the middle of course every lap because I could barely see it through the dust. I really miss east coast cross and nice firm (but not cement hard) grass. Here it is either dust or mud, you hardly ever just get a nice course in terms of the surface.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Deda dritisimo carbon 27.2mm post... Using correct torque at the top clamp and correct torque and carbon paste at frame it's been fine.
Quote Reply
Re: CX seapost? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have ridden for over 30 years and my MTB and cross bikes have ultimately been upgraded to Thomson posts. Best seatposts I have ever owned. Search eBay and you can find pretty good deals. David K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomson.

I don't use it for CX, but I have one on my hardtail MTB and had zero issues.

It is a set it and forget it component and will likely outlast the frames you put it in. Think of it like a chris king headset, an investment grade item.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll give another vote for Thompson.

Really though, there are a lot of seaposts (both carbon and aluminum) that have a similar 2-bolt design to what Thompson uses. I have a carbon easton post ony my roadbike that would be just fine on my CX bike. You need to stay clear of the 1-bolt posts, like the Bontrager XXX lite.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
another +1 for Thomson. Anything alloy with a similar clamp mechanism will probably hold fine but if you want an aluminium post I wouldn't waste time with anything else. The niner RDO and syntace hiflex posts are also worth considering.
Quote Reply
Re: CX seapost? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

Just going to add my 0.02. I have a Thomson straight post on my road bike and it behaves according to the above words. I had a Thomson setback post on my mountain bike for a couple years. After getting a little wet and muddy it would creak like crazy until you completely disassembled it, cleaned each part, greased each part, then put it back together. Then you're good for another few months until the creaks start again. That's why I no longer have it on my mountain bike. After talking to another mountain biker who ran a Thomson posted he described the same problem. So it's not just me. Post functioned fine, the creaks were just extremely annoying.

And if you're worried about strength, forged seatposts (in general) are stronger than machined, which is the method Thomson uses.

Also agree with other posters: Just say no to single bolt seatposts.
Last edited by: BSUdude: Sep 15, 14 10:44
Quote Reply