Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

CA 3' law stories
Quote | Reply
I deleted my original question, which was answered, but need to hear 3' law stories. Here in the Palm Springs area, we had a rear ending on our Saturday club ride, and I'd like to hear how the 3' law has been applied in crashes around the state. Our cyclist was discharged from the hospital with broken bones, and the driver may not be cited.
Last edited by: Pacific John: Oct 21, 14 16:47
Quote Reply
Re: The first cyclist rearended cince the CA 3' law [Pacific John] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sunday a rider passed away after being rear ended by a DUI driver.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/newport-639061-police-beach.html
Last edited by: Mugen_EP: Oct 21, 14 16:15
Quote Reply
Re: The first cyclist rearended cince the CA 3' law [Pacific John] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two days after the 3-foot law took effect, a person here in Sacramento was killed. The person was riding in the bike lane and the driver struck him from behind. The police are still investigating and, as far as we know, have not yet referred the matter to the DA. We have heard they are most likely looking at vehicular manslaughter and hit and run.

http://www.sacbee.com/.../article2610204.html
Quote Reply
Re: CA 3' law stories [Pacific John] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's too soon to tell how the 3' law will be applied or interpreted.

Anecdotally, I noticed in the few days after it became effective that cars seemed to give me more space than before. In fact, over a four or five day period after the law became effecitve, riding my bike to work, the only vehicles that came within 3' of me were buses.
Quote Reply
Re: CA 3' law stories [Pacific John] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So typical. The cynic in me says that the law won't change anything from a criminal standpoint, but it should help from a civil suit standpoint.

Dropped in on a group ride in Palm Desert a month ago and we were harassed by a moto cop throughout La Quinta. Had nothing better to do than track us throughout the area and then yell about staying to the far right of the otherwise empty streets... Always an uphill battle it seems with the authorities.
Quote Reply
Re: CA 3' law stories [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
I think it's too soon to tell how the 3' law will be applied or interpreted.

Anecdotally, I noticed in the few days after it became effective that cars seemed to give me more space than before. In fact, over a four or five day period after the law became effecitve, riding my bike to work, the only vehicles that came within 3' of me were buses.
This. Rather than getting the horn several times on one ride, I heard only one in a month. The female was driving in between two lanes with the flipping road wide open. It was clear she is a nervous wreck of a driver.