Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
C'mon Ironman - we need results
Quote | Reply
Is it too much to ask for results at the end of an IM 70.3? Both at Chattanooga and Madison 70.3s no on-site results were provided, and online went down with nothing available as we all stood around checking our phones repeatedly.

Our local races typically provide posted results, printed out results, and online (although typically not immediately). If IM is foregoing anything onsite, they should be damn sure their IT is up to the task - no excuses. So far IM has been reliably unreliable.

A related issue is athlete tracker. So many of us had supportive spouses, friends and family tracking us on race day. Lots of frustration set in when AT crashed later during the bike, or earlier on the run. And of course, no results until much later.

Anyone know if IM has addressed these repeated failures?

John H.
Madison

John Hollenhorst
St Pete Beach
Quote Reply
Re: C'mon Ironman - we need results [Hed Case] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't one issue the rolling start issue (at least with Chatt)? They could not print out papers with finishing results as folks came in because the winner may have started last.

In fact, at Chatt last year my friend ended the race, pulled up the phone, it showed him as 3d AG, but by the time we got back to the hotel (so he could shower and go to awards) he was listed as 6th or 7th.
Last edited by: ChrisM: Jun 12, 17 15:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like to hear sportstats respond to this. they are the official timing company. Lately, I've just been going directly to their web-site for tracking

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply
Re: C'mon Ironman - we need results [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do lots of races with rolling starts that have on site results. You get your personal results and just have to check back later for overall

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: C'mon Ironman - we need results [Multisportsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sylvan has been posting on various threads. It is an issue with Ironman's website. Go to Sportstats website and you can view all stats just fine and even more up to date than Ironman (since it's the source). I watched a friend cross eagleman finish line on live stream and saw the finish time in 5 seconds. I think this only works for NA races though, not sure if WTC uses sportstats outside of NA.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: C'mon Ironman - we need results [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, I am interpreting results as in placing.

In this day and age, what's wrong with checking the phone? Paper stapled to a board seems a little luddite-ish (and crowds around that are crazy, can't imagine an IM size race crowd.....) Yeah, the site goes down on occasion, but do people really *have* to have their results the second they finish? Unless you're getting on the podium, what does it matter? Not talking about family and friends tracking here, just results.

Just me I guess, last two seasons I've stopped maniacally checking results the second I cross the line, and find I enjoy the overall experience better before obsessing about my 43d place finish and how I could have clawed my way up to 42d :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just go faster. Put down a 3:4x and I'll bet you will know your result when you finish. If you can't do that. just assume you lost.

There is only 1 place that matters. You don't need IM to tell you your time which is all that's lef after 1st.
Quote Reply
Re: C'mon Ironman - we need results [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We also do Mexico, Costa Rica, some of South America, Philippines, Thailand and the Middle East for IRONMAN. Mika Timing does Europe and Multisport Australia does down under and some of Asia and they're excellent big timing companies too.

It's worth considering doing some kind of onsite results thing, but I'd rather stick with online only - if it works.

Sylvan Smyth | http://www.sportstats.asia | sylvan@sportstats.asia | Starvas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the bigger issue is everything about Ironman's online presence and social media sucks and they don't seem concerned. The athlete tracker is terrible. Racers will be finished before the 6 mile run split is posted. Online coverage doesn't work for shit. Notification about race delay, inclement weather, change to the course or possible swim cancellation. Good luck. Why does a multinational bajillion $ company have such a shit online presence and no app to send alerts or results to the racers? I guess "fuck us, that's why." Not that I'm bitter.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Last edited by: rotosound: Jun 12, 17 18:08
Quote Reply
Re: C'mon Ironman - we need results [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Just go faster. Put down a 3:4x and I'll bet you will know your result when you finish. If you can't do that. just assume you lost.

There is only 1 place that matters. You don't need IM to tell you your time which is all that's lef after 1st.

I came in second at a half aquabike yesterday...I was pretty proud until my wife told me "If you're not first you're last" and my brother in law congratulated me on being the first loser. It's good to have family to keep you in check.
Quote Reply
Re: C'mon Ironman - we need results [rotosound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rotosound wrote:
I think the bigger issue is everything about Ironman's online and social media sucks and they don't seem concerned. The athlete tracker is terrible. Racers will be finished before the 6 mile run split is posted. Online coverage doesn't work for shit. Notification about race delay, inclement weather, change to the course or possible swim cancellation. Good luck. Why does a multinational bajillion $ company have such a shit online presence and no app to send alerts or results to the races? I guess "fuck us, that's why." Not that I'm bitter.

Totally. Has sucked for years with no signs of improvement.

John Hollenhorst
St Pete Beach
Quote Reply
Re: C'mon Ironman - we need results [sylvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey sylvan, are you rolling out the RTRT.me app for more races? Family was disappointed it wasn't available for Madison yesterday.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Re: C'mon Ironman - we need results [b-rudy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
b-rudy wrote:
Hey sylvan, are you rolling out the RTRT.me app for more races? Family was disappointed it wasn't available for Madison yesterday.
I'm just a timer. I know nahhthing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nobody's happy with the current situation and there are improvements in the works.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sylvan wrote:
b-rudy wrote:
I'm just a timer. I know nahhthing.

And I'm just a poor triathlete. Fair enough!

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A timing company for some races near me ( I think Gemini) has a number of like 40" displays at the finish scrolling results instantly. As you go thru the chute to get some water and a banana there are your results.
They also text your time to you immediately upon finishing.
Places update as people behind you come in.
It's not that hard for timing companies/RD's that care.
Rolling starts would need frequent updates and would certainly not be final as posted.

Ironman obviously doesn't care.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sylvan wrote:
Nobody's happy with the current situation and there are improvements in the works.

This is promising! Sounds like they recognize they have an issue that needs to be addressed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone ever seen/used the NYC Marathon athlete tracker? It's awesome. It predicts your estimated time to spots along the course. When I used it last year to track a friend, it was within a 1-2 min window of accuracy. WTC should look to this for inspiration!
Quote Reply
Re: C'mon Ironman - we need results [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:

I came in second at a half aquabike yesterday...I was pretty proud until my wife told me "If you're not first you're last" and my brother in law congratulated me on being the first loser. It's good to have family to keep you in check.

This is awesome. I'd get along well with your family.

Quote | Reply
Why? Is anyone not doing these races because of the results issue? Not that I can tell.

Brian

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, it looks like the IM website ranks each discipline by race time not split time. For example, my bike division rank shows 18 even though I had the 8th fastest split in my AG. Unless I'm misunderstanding it, this is another frustrating detail.

Quote Reply
Re: C'mon Ironman - we need results [rotosound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rotosound wrote:
I think the bigger issue is everything about Ironman's online presence and social media sucks and they don't seem concerned. The athlete tracker is terrible. Racers will be finished before the 6 mile run split is posted. Online coverage doesn't work for shit. Notification about race delay, inclement weather, change to the course or possible swim cancellation. Good luck. Why does a multinational bajillion $ company have such a shit online presence and no app to send alerts or results to the racers? I guess "fuck us, that's why." Not that I'm bitter.

I would agree to the point they are missing out on technological advantages and are leaving money on the table because of it.
For sure with social media. Not just on race day, but in general.
Also, I think that they rely on race producers...who in turn rely on third party vendors/providers to handle a fair number of things. As a specific and somewhat related example, the third party athlete tracker providers. Yes, I know it's "another headache" and another set of volunteers to manage that. I'm assuming the race/WTC gets a cut, but I'm guessing not much of one. But if WTC made the hardware/internet investment and marketed it to the AGers and bucket listers....it would be a tangible value-add revenue stream for the race producer and the brand.
Quote Reply
Re: C'mon Ironman - we need results [cbritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cbritri wrote:
Why? Is anyone not doing these races because of the results issue? Not that I can tell.

This echoes General Motors' management in the 1960s. "They'll buy anything we sell. Why improve the quality?"

John Hollenhorst
St Pete Beach
Quote Reply
Re: C'mon Ironman - we need results [b-rudy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
b-rudy wrote:
Also, it looks like the IM website ranks each discipline by race time not split time. For example, my bike division rank shows 18 even though I had the 8th fastest split in my AG. Unless I'm misunderstanding it, this is another frustrating detail.
Yes IM website results tracker has always been by race position at a particular split not a ranking for a single discipline.
Quote Reply
Re: C'mon Ironman - we need results [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just noticed that I've been misinterpreting all of my past race results, ugh.

Quote Reply

Prev Next