Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bye bye biopace !
Quote | Reply
She is gone. Had her a long time. All the talk about compact cranks got me thinking. So I put on a 48 38 chainrings on my roadbike with 700 wheels. The Salsa 48 tooth chainring has pins and ramps and does it shift nice. I am a finding my spin is smoother at higher rates or at least thats what I think. The change cost $50 . Do you think I made a good choice. How much diferance will 4 less teeth make.
Quote Reply
Re: Bye bye biopace ! [dirtball!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just recently ordered two sets of Stronglight compacts. One is 50/36 and other 48/34 for experimentation. For camparison I also have a 105 triple and a 50/38 regular ring. Will be on different bikes, but can't wait until spring to test this all out on the hills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe that three teeth on your chainring =one cog tooth.
Cullen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a 39 tooth "Biopace HP" (the rare, high-performance manifestation of Biopace) chainring at Ironman Canada in 1997 and really flew up Richter Pass and Yellow Lake. They worked for some people. They worked so well the UCI made "eccentric chainrings" illegal.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bye bye biopace ! [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Tom,

Are you sure that oval rings are outlawed by the UCI. I thought that Julich used them in the TT at worlds. It might not have been him but one of the american pros in the TT had oval rings with a very squashed shape.

As an aside when you do your long computrainer rides (anything over 40 minutes I find horrible) what do you do as far as a workout?

Shawn Tyrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Bye bye biopace ! [smtyrrell99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom is able to ride the computrainer by beating up on a never ending line of guys that come in and give ti their best shot for 15-20 miles against him. Tom just sits on his bike and they mount, flail and retire, only to be replaced by another.

At the end of the day, Tom logs 3 hours on the misery machine, and the rest of us lick our wounds.

Seriously Sean, riding with another person helps a ton.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Bye bye biopace ! [smtyrrell99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean, I do a lot of workouts on my Computrainer, mostly 60-90 minutes long. I do a lot of interval work which helps keep it interesting.

Typical workout:
20 minutes warmup, starting in an easy gear, spin @90+ rpm for 2 minutes, then go up a gear. Once I hit a gear I can't quite maintain 90+ rpm, I go down one, and then back up until the 20 mins are up.

4-8 x (3' in hardest gear I can push at 90 rpm, 2' one gear easier, 2' rest)

6 sets makes for a 62 minute workout.

If I want to make it a longer workout, I may finish with some CT 'motorpacing'. I pick a flat course (mine is 10 miles long) and turn drafting on. I set the pacer to 350 watts and try to draft off him the whole way, using as little energy as possible. It only takes 24 minutes and about 180 watts, but a LOT of concentration to stay in the sweet spot of the draft. The added focus makes the time go by much faster than just trying to ride for 20 minutes.
Quote Reply