Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Buying used road bike
Quote | Reply
Hi!

Got an offer to buy a used road bike. It´s a Crescent Exa 2002 with full Dura Ace-group, 9-speed. What is a reasonable price for a bike like that? I have a TT-bike and i want this road bike for work commuting and group rides. Is it an ok bike or am i better of with for example a new CAAD8 with Tiagra group?
Quote Reply
Re: Buying used road bike [superdea] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, I'm not a bike pricing expert, but, hey, this is Slowtwitch, so I'll offer an opinion.

When I research pricing, I look at ebay to see what current offerings are. They also have a completed sale search feature, so you can compare what people are asking for a product vs what people are actually paying for that product (pricing reality check).

I can't find any listings on ebay for this bike. I'm not sure if it's a rare bike or not. I searched for pricing and sales of this bike. Not too much to find. It looks like a nice bike, but I can't make a pricing decision based on that.

I have a 2002 or 2003 Cannondale Saeco team bike. I just had it in the shop. With Dura Ace 9 speed, the mechanic said it's worth about $700 (I personally think that's the high end for pricing of this bike).

Regarding components, I'm a fan of better components. So, I'd always look at Dura Ace over Tiagra. Dura Ace seems to last forever and it doesn't cost too much when it's used.

Sorry I can't be much help.

Good luck!

Mark

Fast-Finishes.com
Triathlon and Running Race Timing
Athletic Event Management
Quote Reply
Re: Buying used road bike [themuse1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was the top of the line in 2002, price was about 5000 dollars. Its a pretty rare bike... I van get it for a little under 300 dollars...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a great deal. Get it!

Fast-Finishes.com
Triathlon and Running Race Timing
Athletic Event Management
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What the worst your out? 300 buck? Will you get 300 bucks of use out of it? I'm guessing yes.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying used road bike [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just bought it. Just need to replace bar tape, cassette and chain
Quote Reply