Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Buying new bike. Problem with cranks/groupset compatibility
Quote | Reply
Hi. I finally decided to pull the trigger on a roadbike. I was looking at a used Ridley, but couldn’t get the saddle forward enough. I’ve been looking at Canyon bikes for a couple of years, so I guess I’ll go with one of their bikes. I currently ride a SC 2.5, and I’m not looking at upgrading the frame anytime soon (at least that’s what I’m telling myself). My SC has full Apex 10s, and I have a Quarq Riken on it. I’d like to be able to use the same powermeter on my roabike, but they all come with 11s. I guess I can’t use the same chainrings on 10s and 11s? If that is the case my options are:

1 Buy a new roadbike with Force 22 and upgrade my tri bike to Rival 22 (would probably make some of my wheels unusable.
2 Buy a new roadbike with ultegra and get a new Stages pm on it.
3 Buy a new roadbike with ultegra, upgrade my tribike to ultegra and use GXP BB and sram cranks on both bikes. I don’t even know if this is possible, but I have one extra GXP and two apex cranksets lying around that I could probably equip with 11s rings.

So what would you go with?
Quote Reply
Re: Buying new bike. Problem with cranks/groupset compatibility [jpanula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Use the same crank and rings. You won't notice a difference. Many are running "10 speed " rings on 11 speed systems. I'm still waiting for someone to provide real world dimensional differences between 10 and 11 speed rings to support claims that they are different. You do need to use the appropriate chain for each. But rings don't matter between 10 and 11 speed.
Last edited by: goodboyr: Dec 16, 14 5:49
Quote Reply
Re: Buying new bike. Problem with cranks/groupset compatibility [goodboyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice. I guess that solves my problem. Would I be able to use the quarq with an ultegra groupset if I use a GXP BB? That would allow me to get a better frame if I feel like spending a bit more on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying new bike. Problem with cranks/groupset compatibility [jpanula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. Just swap out the Shimano BB for GXP. If it's another Trek, you need the little cups and have them installed. If it's threaded, the BB swap will take 5 minutes and cost $30.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Buying new bike. Problem with cranks/groupset compatibility [goodboyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to echo te other post this will be perfectly fine. Been running a "10spd" Quarq on my 11spd Ultegra bike (mech and di2) for a while
Now with no issues. When the rings get worn I'll replace them with 11spd rings but until then there is no reason to swap.
Quote Reply