Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Buying a new road bike. What to get for $3000-$3500?
Quote | Reply
I have a friend that is wants me to help him buy a new road bike and I wanted to get others feedback on what I should be look at for him.

He is a recreational cyclist that had just started doing group rides and has done a few Fondo's. He has mentioned that he wants to get something better than he has right now and might try racing in a few years. Currently us riding a bike with 105 but wants to upgrade so we are looking for something with Sram Force or Shimano Ultegra.

I am a bit biased in what I would do for myself but always love others thoughts.

Velovie was a thought based on a few others from this site especially with their 30% off sale right now. I have also been looking at local bike shops for year end sales and there are a few that aren't that bad. Also thought about building him an open mold frame, 2nd tier parts and some nicer aero wheels but not sure if he would want the warranty that a bike shop would offer.

So anything thoughts would be appreciated.
Last edited by: BMANX: Sep 19, 14 14:20
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a new road bike. What to get for $3000-$3500? [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a new road bike. What to get for $3000-$3500? [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canyon Ultimate CF SL 9.0 AERO.

~7 kilos, Ultegra, gearing can be chosen pre-purchase.

http://www.canyon.com/...kes/bike.html?b=3585
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
I have a friend that is wants me to help him buy a new road bike and I wanted to get others feedback on what I should be look at for him.

He is a recreational cyclist that had just started doing group rides and has done a few Fondo's. He has mentioned that he wants to get something better than he has right now and might try racing in a few years. Currently us riding a bike with 105 but wants to upgrade so we are looking for something with Sram Force or Shimano Ultegra.

I am a bit biased in what I would do for myself but always love others thoughts. I also have to work around his biases where he feels he needs to have a 53/39 and a 11/25 but I am trying to work with him and trying to get him to go towards more of a 52/36 and 11/28 as I have ridden with him a bit and he really is over geared. But you know how some guys are with the size of their gears.

Velovie was a thought based on a few others from this site especially with their 30% off sale right now. I have also been looking at local bike shops for year end sales and there are a few that aren't that bad. Also thought about building him an open mold frame, 2nd tier parts and some nicer aero wheels but not sure if he would want the warranty that a bike shop would offer.

So anything thoughts would be appreciated.

I know quite a bit about these options:
Felt F3 (16#, TeXtreme, Ultegra 52/36t crankset stock (12-25t cassette though)
Felt AR3, same drivetrain spex, ~40 fewer watts to go 50kph on flat ground than F3.

I also like the new S3/R3 price points and Scott has a pretty nice spec although it's a non-series 50/34t crankset without a 52/36t ring option. Crank swaps can get expensive with the new 4 bolt ring costs.
If he's not a brand snob, the Jamis is worth a look, too.

-SD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
like what Jackmott mentioned. How about a CAAD? The CAAD 10 is quite compliant, yet stiff. With $3000, it can be spec REALLY nicely...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like said above...CAAD10! Great bike for the price. I own 2, both of which I've built up from scratch. Could easily build up with Sram Force and a decent set of deeper carbon wheels (such as 404s) for $3,000. For the weight, quality and stiffness, you can beat it!

Quote | Reply
If the sizing is right, you can't beat some of the leftover Ultegra Di2 bikes from last year's Trek lineup. I just got a very good deal on a Madone with UDi2 that would fit that budget. If you have a good relationship with a local Trek shop, it would be worth asking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if i was to buy a road bike today i would get the S3 (its slightly out of the price range...) or a boardman air 9.2 (3800 i think is the price point on those but might snag some discount sale?)

-----------------------------------------------------
Check out my website/blog: http://www.macheetri.com
Infinit Ambassador: Use INFINIT-P29DC for $5.00 off
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a new road bike. What to get for $3000-$3500? [swimmer04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nuts to the CAAD, I'd be on the hunt for a Madone. A little aero, middle of the road geometry, light... Should be on sale too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the CAAD10. For 2015, they are all spec'd with 11 speed 11-28 and 52/36.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they haven't had a proper fit, do that first, then choose the bike based on desired specs.

Plenty of nice options in that price range whether from Felt, Cervelo, Giant, etc so it's all about fit and your desired use (fondo, light training vs race bike, etc) to get your candidate bikes set from the get go.

J
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a new road bike. What to get for $3000-$3500? [Hoshie99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fit was already done and if we get it from a shop then we will have him fitted again on the bike he buys to get him dialed in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear the best time to buy the last year model bike is in Nov, so I am waiting.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a new road bike. What to get for $3000-$3500? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is what we are thinking and there are some great deals out there now actually but they get better in the next month.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There has to be some dentists in your area selling last years top bike for cheap.... have a look around.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a new road bike. What to get for $3000-$3500? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My thoughts on bikes generally accepted for people just getting into group rides and thinking about racing.

fine:
Scott Foil / Addict
Cannondale SuperSix / CAAD
Felt whatever
Giant Propel/TCR

be like the crowd:
Specialized whatever
Trek whatever
Cervelo whatever (although less so nowadays)

very questionable:
Wilier
BMC
Bianchi
generic china frame

definately not:
anything from bikesdirect.com, performance, nashbar
Colnago - unless it's older
Pinarello
Titanium
Anything 'botique' (Parlee)

JMHO
Last edited by: v0coder: Sep 19, 14 15:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever has Ultegra and is the best deal. Too many details to list in a post. Look for 2014s on sale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well it looks like he has his heart set on a 2014 Cervelo S2 that he can get for a really good price. So we wants me to go look at one. His thoughts are that he is getting a really good frame, fork, post that can and should last for a long time. Components can be upgraded down the road and it leaves enough money for some aero wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure it fits with at least some room for adjustment- i.e. fork.seatpost arent cut too short.
Last edited by: davidalone: Sep 21, 14 2:14
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a new road bike. What to get for $3000-$3500? [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is getting a brand new S2 so everything will be uncut.

Edit: shop ordered him a new 2015 for the same great price they were going to give him for the 2014 bike.
Last edited by: BMANX: Sep 21, 14 4:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't be afraid to consider velovie, two guys i race with have been riding them for two years in close to 70-80 road races and no issues at all. They are nice and if there is an issue they will replace it. I would second the CAAD10 (that's what i race with), Cervelo S2, or BMC TMR02.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You never mentioned any details on the current bike frame.

If it is a decent frame, another option is to upgrade components to Ultegra Di2, new bars and stem, and a set of carbon wheels such as the enve 45's.

http://www.abbeybiketools.com
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a new road bike. What to get for $3000-$3500? [JShipman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No the old frame is not worth upgrading as it is a older Marinoni that would make an amazing winter bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
Well it looks like he has his heart set on a 2014 Cervelo S2 that he can get for a really good price. So we wants me to go look at one. His thoughts are that he is getting a really good frame, fork, post that can and should last for a long time. Components can be upgraded down the road and it leaves enough money for some aero wheels.

This is what i just did. I put sram force 22 on a 2014 s2 (the bb 30 version of the force 22 crank fits natively into the bbright bb) and then added a zipp sl70 aero road bar, and a new saddle. I run a powertap in my rear 30 mm wheel and will add a flo 30 front next month. A pretty sweet setup i love riding.
Last edited by: MichaelT: Sep 21, 14 14:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a Cervelo, maybe R2 or S2. Could spend more and go R3/S3 with Ultegra, but 105 is perfectly fine. Save money, get some nice wheels maybe and a good fitting. When things brake, replace with Ultegra.
Quote Reply