Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Buying a TRI bike
Quote | Reply
Is there a web site that succinctly defines the differences/benefits between the different brands of bikes , compostions(alum vs carbon vs titanium vs ?), build kits, wheels, etc? I am a newbie, with 1 Tri under my belt that I did on a very old Takara road bike and now want to invest in a entry level ($3000 - $4000?) TRI bike. But my head is about to explode going back and forth between mfg websites without really getting anything more than their advertisements regarding their products.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a TRI bike [rphilli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this website is one of the best recources out there. You should also be able to get good info from your LBS (Local Bike Shop) as well. If they are doing their job they should educate you FIRST on the fit of the bike, and then give you options on what will fit you properly. Not everyone is built the same, so you may LOVE a certain bike but if it doesn't fit, you really shouldn't buy it. 3-4k will get you a really nice rig. Good luck.

Ladera Cyclery...Gone but not forgotten..
F.I.S.T. Certified, UBI Trained Mechanic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would check out bikesportmichigan.com for his review between tri and road bikes.

Slowtwitch has an article on it but it is pretty complicated, I would suggest starting with bikesport michigan first, but it isn't working just this sec.

berndog
How did we all get sucked into this crazy sport anyway?!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
where do you live? i dont know of any sites like that (though im sure they exist) but i think a huge benefit would be calling/going to a local bike or tri shop. an entry level tri bike (like a felt s32) retails for $1400 though, and right now with the sales going on with shops trying to get rid of the 06's before next seasons bikes come in...you can get huge savings. you can get a really nice, far from entry-level tri bike for 3-4 thousand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not aware of any such website that is as specific as you suggest. A place to start is Tom D.'s site where he has several reviews of specific models that he sells. There are also lots of other good bikes out there that Tom doesn't sell.

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/

You have to do a lot of research. Google for reviews on the net and look at the bikes in the shop. Talk to the sales people but don't believe everything they tell you either. Also talk to triathletes for opinions on what they ride.

The most important thing is getting the right fit. Some bikes will be better suited for you than others.

Take your time and research carefully. you don't want to purchase something that you'll be selling on ebay a few months later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try a beam bike. You'll love it.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a TRI bike [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since you didn't capitalize it am I to assume a "beam" bike is a style vs a brand? Give me a clue where I can research the benefits please.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're willing to drop that kind of cash, you can have your pick of the litter in the entry to midlevel plus a set of race wheels. FWIW, if I had that to spend on a new bike, I'd narrow my pick down to carbon or titanium & browse those categories. QR makes some beautiful carbon bikes, the Seduza is a great deal in that category. For titanium, the Lightspeed Saber is a beauty. All3sports has deals on both right now if you're the right size: http://www.all3sports.com/...ikes-triathlon-bikes

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,
If I were you, I would tell people what region you live in and maybe they could suggest a good place to get fit/buy the bike. Depending on your measurements, some bikes may fit you better than others. The price range you mentioned is way above entry level.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my SoftRide and they are fast, but, in view of the uncertainties at the company, I'd get a Titanflex.
Softride.com
Titanflex-usa.com (I think)

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tons of info here: www.fitwerx.com

They won't talk all that much about brand comparisons, but lots of other detailed info on their site.

If you're in Philly, you might check out Elite Cycles.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a TRI bike [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In response, I recently relocated to the Atlanta,GA area and have looked/priced the Kuota K-Force,Cervelo P2, Quintano Roo Lucero and Seduza, and a FELT. ALL3Sports seems to be the leading source locally, but they don't seem to be very open to dickering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in ATL as well and I can appreciate your aprehension to pay sticker prices at All3 without checking out other sources. I bought a Cervelo from them a few years ago and I know I paid more for my bike and related gear than I would have at other shops. Same goes for purchasing my running shoes at local Fleet Feet in Duluth/Alpharetta.

But those two shops are run by local guys and it is great to see them at races and have a personal relationship with folks in the store. They sponsor local teams and races and give folks like us who do live in the area many more 'free' benefits in return. So it doesn't bother me a bit to pay them a little extra since it makes me feel like I am helping support the sport. I'd much rather have them in my backyard and pay a premium than just order off the internet all of the time.

In addition Patrick is a great bike fitter.

http://jmassieblog.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3000-4000? I suggest you find Slowman's cost v. bike performance suggestions. I think +3,000 is something like +24 mph in his suggestions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that ALL3 is great. They kept the shop open late to accommodate my schedule for a bike fit and have been helpful with all sorts of other purchases and discount things on a regular basis. I went to several different shops in ny as well [live in ny but have an office in ATL] and thought they were the most helpful/knowledgeable. Ended up with a k-factor that seems to fit me perfect, which I also recommend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For that much money you can get a great bike (seduzza, p2sl or maybe carbon?, etc.) With the first couple bikes you could also get a sweet set of 808s or 999s (zipp race wheels). You would never lose a spot in a race due to equipment.

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a TRI bike [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]3000-4000? I suggest you find Slowman's cost v. bike performance suggestions. I think +3,000 is something like +24 mph in his suggestions.[/reply]

Hmmm, dont think I have ever seen that one where on this massive site is that?

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Material comparison
http://strongframes.com/material_tech/metallurgy/
The Slowtwitch site discusses most of the brands that take triathlon seriously. To compare them yourself look at the warranty they offer, ask about specific models on here (but be prepared to get told you should look at something else).

Before you set a budget for the bike work out the cost of ancillary items/services e.g.
fitting 250ish
race wheels 1200 (such as flashpoints with tyres/cass)
Speedo/HRM -
Aero Helmet - (if that floats your boat)
Decent tri shoes -

All that sort of stuff can quickly build up to 2k, but it is worth it as a well fit 2k bike with race wheels is faster than a stock 4k bike.

Your first port of call should be a fitter who will use a fit bike to generate measurements - you then work out which bikes will fill in the space best. If the fitter can't help you with that then people here can (like me).

there have been a lot of threads about bike buying advice and lots of bike comparisons - search around a bit. As a starting point it's hard to go wrong with cannondale, felt, quintana roo or cervelo but find out what will fit you first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you can get an entry-level bike, or you can spend $3-4K. you can't do both.
or, i guess, you can - if you overpay a whole lot on an entry level bike. very good bikes can be had, new, for around $1500.
You can get a dual for $1600, Felt's got one for $1400, I think the QR Kilo is somewhere in that range.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't spend the extra money, it's your money. Just that you're well above the entry-level.
-charles
Last edited by: Bob Loblaw: Sep 22, 06 14:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are a newbie - you will learn a lot more over the next few years - what type of bike/how you like to ride - wheels - bells and whistles.....

3000-4000 is a lot to spend if you are a newbie. You may think you know what you want but it might change over the next couple years....

I think we all need a decent road bike and a decent tri bike. Plan accordingly.

Do you want to ride shallow (73/74) middle (76 or so) or steep 78+? Do you want to ride with minimal drop or a lot of drop? I assume you will ride with an aero front-end vs. road bars/clip ons? All of these things change which bike you want. What is your body type? Long legs? Long torso?

Read all of slowman's tri-bike fit stuff.

Material does not matter much at all - there are good/bad with all.

If I were you - I'd buy a true entry level bike (probably alum.) - likely about $1500 - after talking with an experienced tri-bike fitter and getting fitted. If you love the sport - upgrade in 1-2 years - you'll know a lot more.

Do not buy aero wheels yet. Do not buy an aero helmet.

Brands - any brand is fine - I'd stick with thelaregr companies for entry-level.

Build kits - buy the 2nd/3rd one down from the to of the line - much better value for money - plus most entry-level bikes come stocked anyway so its a moot point. Ultegra or chorus is more than good enough for all of us. I'm picky when it comes to aerobars as I want the pads low enough and in the fore/aft position that I want....

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a TRI bike [daveinmammoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who is "slowman" and where can I access the info?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman is Dan E. He's the guy who runs this site. He is also the "inventor" of the original tri bike and started the Quintana Roo bike company.

Happy reading:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...techctr/techctr.html

The one thing that hasn't been asked is how much cycling experience do you have? If you are a newbie to cycling you should really be thinking of getting a road bike, joining a roadie group and learning how to ride before running out and hopping on a tri bike. Tri bikes are quite twitchy. Trigeeks don't exactly have a stellar reputation for their bike handling skills, even if they can be fast. This is because they often will come into tri with little cycling experience and immediately jump from a $200 wal-Mart bike to a tri bike with no intern step. A road bike might serve you better initially.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a TRI bike [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Hmmm, dont think I have ever seen that one where on this massive site is that?

I can't find it(I'm lazy though), but someone quoted it recently, search the forums and ye shall find. I would imagine it was somewhat tongue in cheek. But also a good way of saying think twice before blowing all your money on this shit.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a TRI bike [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not new to cycling---just Triathlons. Have considered getting 2 bikes, new road and the TRI Bike. But most TRI"geeks" tell me they ride their TRI bikes exclusively once they get them......maybe that is why they are "twitchy" poor riders :-> TKS!
Quote Reply