Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Buying My First Set of Wheels
Quote | Reply
I am looking to buy my first set of deep aero wheels for my new BMC Time Machine 02 and I am between ordering Flo Wheels in March (60/90) or getting these Vittoria's (https://www.merlincycles.com/...-wheelset-75727.html). Does anyone have any experience with this set of wheels? The price seems to be too good to pass up.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying My First Set of Wheels [ironcode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't go with anything less than 60mm deep.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered Boyd wheels? They are great in quality in my opinion, and a great deal from a company that will stand behind their product and their warranty.

I have a pair of 2015 model (I know they updated the 2016 with their 90's are coming), I have a 60/90 clincher combo, debating about getting the 90 for the front and the disc for the rear when they come up, that way I will have a pretty good range or options and never have to change my pads.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying My First Set of Wheels [2011ironorbea] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never heard of them, I will check them out now. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't even known Vittoria made wheels but with the companies extensive experience with tires its safe to assume the engineers have handled more than their fair share of wheels. My one issue with Flo's is that they are louder by a considerable margin than anything else I have ever ridden (and I am not alone on this http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...flo%20noise;#5069196). Each to his own but I do not enjoy the sound of a screaming bike while I ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They look like a decent set for a road bike with some decent dish but, do you have any weight concerns? That is a pretty low spoke count on those wheels (16/21 from the looks of it). If you aren't a lightweight I'd tread lightly with those wheels. I'd rather have any extra 10-20+ total spokes more than that wheelset to feel comfortable riding instead of risking breaking a spoke....that would pretty much end your race day. I'm one of those heavier folks and race anywhere between 175-185lbs typically though so that is where my apprehensions come from.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying My First Set of Wheels [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a very good point, I am around 225lb so I think the Flo Clydesdale build is a more durable solution for me. Thank you for that bit of advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure that the BMC rear brake works with rims that wide
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironcode wrote:
That is a very good point, I am around 225lb so I think the Flo Clydesdale build is a more durable solution for me. Thank you for that bit of advice.

Boyd will make higher spoke count version for heavier riders, I forget the suggested weight limit though
Quote Reply
Re: Buying My First Set of Wheels [2011ironorbea] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
250lbs on Boyd Clydes. Love my Boyds

Jeff

You can't fix stupid ..
Quote Reply
Re: Buying My First Set of Wheels [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
I didn't even known Vittoria made wheels but with the companies extensive experience with tires its safe to assume the engineers have handled more than their fair share of wheels. My one issue with Flo's is that they are louder by a considerable margin than anything else I have ever ridden (and I am not alone on this http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...flo%20noise;#5069196). Each to his own but I do not enjoy the sound of a screaming bike while I ride.

Are you referring to the freehub?

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tour magazine tested the Swissside wheels against 404s on a whole bunch of bikes and the performance was almost identical. About the only wheel that seemed to stand out as better was the Jet+ 60.

Someone had posted that you can find HED Jet+ for 999$. If that is indeed true, then you would be crazy to buy anything else. Otherwise the Swissside is a good budget choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying My First Set of Wheels [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 60/90 and a 60/60 FLO set up. The 60/90 is a great all around setup for a tribike. You don't really need to worry about the conditions as much if you'd go with a deeper front. I put 5,800 miles on my 60/60 and about 2,800 miles on my 60/90. Pros: Nicely priced, they are built proof, reliable and for me I prefer an aluminum breaking surface at 178lbs for all weather conditions. I wouldn't call them "noisy", they have a nice sound from the free hub, sound fast too me. Cons: Maybe a bit heavy for my 60/60 road bike setup. Yes, I could do the Flo 30's.

Wish list: I would love to see them with black spokes.

I also have a set of Mavic Carbone, again built proof but, the pricing is more and the in vain... they just are not as pretty :)

Please forgive typo's and poor grammer. Most posting performed on my not so smart phone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can I ask why you want the 60/90 Flo instead of getting a Flo disc? I have the 90/disc and I love it. Although the disc can sometimes be the difficult item to get ordered through Flo because of its demand, I would suggest looking into the 90/disc combo depending on what kind of racing you're doing. I have had my Flo wheels for about 3-4 years now, only race and do prep rides with them, and they have done awesome. Although I have no experience with the Vittorio wheels, I have compared Flos to Zipps, and the price point on the Flos make it a no brainer for someone like me on a budget. Hope this helps.
Quote Reply