Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bursa? Pump bump? - HELP!!
Quote | Reply

ST'ers

My spouse (active runner) has a suspected bursa/pump bump on her achillies. (She's not a "pump" wearer, but that's what one doc has called it)

Have many of you encountered this and what non-surgical options have you used to rid yourself of it? She's been off running almost 2 months now and the thing seems to not be going away.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks much!
Last edited by: NavEEd: Oct 13, 15 9:53
Quote Reply
Re: Bursa? Pump bump? - HELP!! [NavEEd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I developed them when I was young. They are only a problem for me in some shoes; generally shoes with a stiff plastic heel counter. Even then, it depends on the shoe.

For shoes that are a problem, I use a sharp razor blade to slice open the back of the shoe over the bump. Be careful to not cut through to the fabric on the inner side of the shoe. (If you cut all the way through, the fabric will quickly ball-up, wear-out, etc.) I then sometimes use the handle of a small screw driver to push the plastic out.

Note that the plastic in heel counters is generally heat moldable. So you can also try using a heat gun to heat the plastic, then push an accommodating bump into the plastic. But, you will risk melting the fabric... Proceed cautiously, and try this on old shoes first.[/img]

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply
Re: Bursa? Pump bump? - HELP!! [Paul Dunn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Paul.

Have yours gone away or do you have to tolerate them all the time?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bumps are always there. They are not painful to touch, but if I am walking in bare feet, they are obvious. (People sometimes comment on them.) As long as there is little to no pressure, they don't cause me any issues.

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used Dr. Scholl's bunion cushions for years. I'd cut the center hole a little larger, and place it around the bump. That allowed enough pressure relief. Dr. Scholl's would stay in place throughout an IM, but other brands would not. For a long time I had a subscription to them, but they stopped making them. I still have some, but after many years, I'm not currently having the problem.
If I wasn't running, I always wore sandals or shoe without a heel cup. Nothing could touch my heel. I still won't let them touch the bed when I sleep, but that's more habit now.
Quote Reply