Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Burnout therapy
Quote | Reply
How doe you all deal with a complete lack of motivation to train anymore? I know most of you don't have this problem, but I'm sure others have. Thanks in advance. Love the sport, but lately it's been meh.
Quote Reply
Re: Burnout therapy [tri4funnow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Work out and leave the Garmin, power meters and all other gadgets at home
2) Go do something different than s/b/r..boot camp, kickbox, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri4funnow wrote:
How doe you all deal with a complete lack of motivation to train anymore? I know most of you don't have this problem, but I'm sure others have. Thanks in advance. Love the sport, but lately it's been meh.
Sit on the couch for 2-4 weeks. If you aren't itching to s/b/r then it's time to move on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cross train more stuff if that is helping then you might be overtraining. If you aren't overtraining then work on nutrition and make sure you're fueling enough/right. I don't train because I want to, I train because I need to, to feel right
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do a 5k this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Burnout therapy [Macaroni Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Macaroni Kid wrote:
1) Work out and leave the Garmin, power meters and all other gadgets at home

This worked for me. I found I enjoyed training so much more. Now I only use gadgets occasionally for testing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe try focusing on one sport for a bit? Careful though you might not come back;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enter an event that scares you.
Quote Reply
Re: Burnout therapy [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
this! Just signed up for IM Lanzarote...

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do something different. I'm kind of in the same boat as you. Lately, I've been hiking and kayaking more. Hoping my mojo returns at some point, but until then I still have other interests.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stop training. Take the computer off your bike and just enjoy some rides. When you run, don't decide how far/long you are going until you are 2 miles into the run.....if you feel great then go long, if you feel like shit then go home.

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I've had this come up, I reach out to some people I know that are sort of new to the sport and offer to go riding with them. Being around someone who is learning the ropes and gaining their fitness invigorates me because it is all quite new to them. I benefit from taking it sort of easy and feed off of their enthusiasm and it helps guide someone along.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Start off by gaining at least 10lbs or more until that guilt conscience thing starts kicking in. Helps to have a full length mirror in your bathroom to see the slow degradation of six pack abs turn into a uni-keg.
Quote Reply
Re: Burnout therapy [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:

I love this!

As others here have stated try a sport that you wouldn't normally do. I find that I am always looking toward the next big challenge. I can't get enough of the rush of trying something I thought I never would.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm having the exact same problem right now. I've decided to focus on running so I don't lose fitness, and am doing a 5k this weekend.

I love sitting on the couch, but I do start to get ancy pretty quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone. I like the idea of doing some other things. The 10lbs and then some has already been added but that doesn't bother me except for a long term health standpoint (love your body no matter what spectrum you fall in). I actually am thinking mountain biking might be fun...or crossfit (just kidding).
I appreciate the advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I send the below to any athletes that may feel they are burn out:

The No. 1 task right now is to AVOID THE INTERNET or other triathlon media. Why? Because in terms of burnout, 99% of the causes are MENTAL/NEURAL. When we tap our entire being in one way without giving ourselves a break, we are in "always on" mode. Triathlon forums, websites, magazines, stores, people -- this always-the-same-thing preoccupation, night and day, flattens us. Our entire nervous system breaks down.
People burn out on non-physically demanding things like fly fishing -- the same effects as the ones you are experiencing are visible. It's not just physical. Your challenge right now is not so much to recover physically as that you need to give yourself a rest from all things triathlon.

Avoid triathletes. Take down pictures, posters, books, knickknacks, etc. in your apartment. Avoid the shops. Skip the triathlon get-togethers. Go camping for a few days each weekend -- take the bike, jog in the forest, swim before you go (sea swim, solo - NO POOL) on Saturday morning, and swim again (sea swim, solo) Sunday evening. Head out to a camping area, find a nice cabin or camp down low where it's not freezing -- but get the hell outta the tri mecca that you may live in (or online like ST) and block out the stimulus from trifreakiness.
Oh yeah, also:
No cycling. No running. No swimming. NO SPORTS media, interaction, etc. at all.
Read about subjects you have never considered before -- anything NEW.
Go to places you have never BEEN -- where it's QUIET.
Talk to people you've never met -- anyone except athletes.
Don't investigate nutrition details. Don't investigate burnout. Don't "go molecular."
Tune it all out and go somewhere new, quiet, in nature, without cell phone.

That's it.

--
Vinnie Santana, Multisport Coach
http://www.ironguides.net
* * * Your best is our business. * * *
Quote Reply
Re: Burnout therapy [vinnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crack open an ice cold 12 pack, drink away, wake up feeling terrible the next day, repeat until motivation is regained (or the uni-keg has formed, whichever comes first). As others have said, I find unstructured activities to be the cure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nothing like a good BJ.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri4funnow wrote:

"Stop Training and do nothing until you find motivation" is horrible advice. Try something different to mix it up a bit. Maybe try rock climbing, easy walks, stretching sessions, yoga, etc. Just STAY ACTIVE. Don't set goals or expectations, other than to just move around a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: Burnout therapy [Chris10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second this one! I just took 3 weeks off completely. No activity other then playing with my kids. I gained 13 lbs and had friends notice I had a small gut already.

But the key is to let it all go mentally and physically.

Try some new things after a few weeks off. Be active but don't "train."

In the end, let your mojo find you, don't go looking for it. You will know when its time to get back at it.

Owner of Dream Big Triathlon Coaching LLC
http://www.dreambigtriathloncoaching.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll follow the lead of many others - unplug from the training program.

I find that many triathletes are on these very complicated and involved programs that are really more suited to elite/pro level athletes trying to get that extra 5% out of it. When the reality is most will get to 90 - 95% of what they can do simply by putting in the time, over time! It's not that complicated.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Burnout therapy [vinnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vinnie wrote:
I send the below to any athletes that may feel they are burn out:

The No. 1 task right now is to AVOID THE INTERNET or other triathlon media. Why? Because in terms of burnout, 99% of the causes are MENTAL/NEURAL. When we tap our entire being in one way without giving ourselves a break, we are in "always on" mode. Triathlon forums, websites, magazines, stores, people -- this always-the-same-thing preoccupation, night and day, flattens us. Our entire nervous system breaks down.
People burn out on non-physically demanding things like fly fishing -- the same effects as the ones you are experiencing are visible. It's not just physical. Your challenge right now is not so much to recover physically as that you need to give yourself a rest from all things triathlon.

Avoid triathletes. Take down pictures, posters, books, knickknacks, etc. in your apartment. Avoid the shops. Skip the triathlon get-togethers. Go camping for a few days each weekend -- take the bike, jog in the forest, swim before you go (sea swim, solo - NO POOL) on Saturday morning, and swim again (sea swim, solo) Sunday evening. Head out to a camping area, find a nice cabin or camp down low where it's not freezing -- but get the hell outta the tri mecca that you may live in (or online like ST) and block out the stimulus from trifreakiness.
Oh yeah, also:
No cycling. No running. No swimming. NO SPORTS media, interaction, etc. at all.
Read about subjects you have never considered before -- anything NEW.
Go to places you have never BEEN -- where it's QUIET.
Talk to people you've never met -- anyone except athletes.
Don't investigate nutrition details. Don't investigate burnout. Don't "go molecular."
Tune it all out and go somewhere new, quiet, in nature, without cell phone.

That's it.

Brilliant post, I'm not sure how tongue in cheek but this is some of the best advice I've seen in years on the internet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my last real workout was 2013 IMAZ. I was in IM mode since 6/2006. made it to kona 2008 and 2009. just missed 2010 and 2011. I am trying to get ready to start up again. but I may just sell all my IM stuff and do something else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem. It happenes to me every year. I think mainly because of the season change where training or doing pretty much anything outside becomes extreemly uncomfortable. I've been trying to think of other sports/activities to put my efforts into, but I haven't been able to come up with much that turns off my brain like endurance sports. I've been getting into JiuJitsu over the past few years, which is amazing, but when you're new at it, it's extreemly ego crushing…. I'd love to try free running? I've seen gyms for it, but can't find anything where I live. This one looks amazing http://tempestacademy.com But it's in Cali…. If I were in Cali I'd be outside….
Quote Reply

Prev Next