Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Brooks Pure Flow 3
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at the Brooks Pure Flow 3- they seem to feel similar to the Kinvara 4 in the store (drop/weight/cushion). Would the short tongue will make them tough to get on in transition? Any other experiences? I have never ran in Brooks before. I'm a very mild over-pronator with fore-foot strike.

I am currently in Hoka Bondi B- like the cushion but the hard toe cap causes me blisters and want a bit lighter
Prior shoe and current treadmill use is the K-Swiss K Ona - great shoe for me but discontinued
Quote Reply
Re: Brooks Pure Flow 3 [SdB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might consider the Saucony Cortana, which is like the Kinvara with more cushioning.
Quote Reply
Re: Brooks Pure Flow 3 [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried the Cortana and really liked it, but at 9.5 oz it was a bit heavy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
altra is coming with new range in 2014 where allt eh shooes will be beffed up wit 1-3mm of extra cushioning check out the isntinct and THE ONE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Pure Flow original and 2 and have a similar running style to you. I loved the original, but they seem to have adjusted the fit on the 2 as on longer runs my foot starts to feel really cramped. Also have a problem with the toe box on the 2, it's a sort of semi-rigid material and on one shoe there's a bit that keeps "popping" inwards and rubbing on my toe. Haven't tried the 3 for those reasons, but hopefully they've addressed them. I didn't hate the 2s, they just weren't as great for me as the originals.

Would say they're not the easiest shoe to get on for a transition. But then mine have regular not elastic laces on as I haven't done any multisport events recently, so that would obviously help.

I'm 6'1" and about 180lbs if that helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 2 runs and about 11 miles in with my Brooks Purecadence, the support version of the Pureflow. I'm not sure how similar they are beyond that, but my initial impression with the Purecadence is that it doesn't feel as cushioned as I expected (and my knees were hoping for). In fact they might even feel firmer than my Adizero Tempos, but can't say for sure until I get a few more runs in, may need a bit of breaking in. I do notice the lower drop (4mm compared to my 9mm in the Tempos).

PS I am also a mild/moderate over-pronator with forefoot strike which is how I arrived at the Purecadence rather than Pureflow, you might want to think about that. If your pronation is very mild you might not be fussed.

I got the Purecadence 1 rather than 2 because they are dirt cheap at sportshoes in the UK and the bright green colour looks really FAST.
Quote Reply
Re: Brooks Pure Flow 3 [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that they made the toe box bigger on the 3 vs the 2. I have the Pureflow 3 at home now. Will try them on the treadmill to see initial impression. Walking around the house they don't seem to have a lot of ventilation. That may be an issue for a planned destination race for the Hawaii 70.3. My local running store allows returns if they are only used indoors/treadmill.

No local stores carry Altra. Like the look of them but with no way to test fit it is a non-starter.

Also tried Mizuno sayonara for a demo run. They felt tight mid-foot and very little forefoot cushioning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The SKORA Form is a bit more flexible and zero drop compared to the Pure Flow, but may be a nice option for anyone interested in a lower profile but still moderately cushioned shoe. Skora is also coming out with a 16mm tall zero drop shoe this spring (my weartesting pair just passed 1000 miles).

---
KyleKranz.com
Win a pair of SKORA Running Shoes!
Quote Reply
Re: Brooks Pure Flow 3 [kylekranz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the 3 have the "fixed tongue" like the 2's have? That might help get them on quicker during transition than other shoes with such short tongues. I have locklaces on mine, I'd be hard pressed to think there's a faster way to put on a pair of shoes: shove my foot in, pull up on the tongue, pull up on the lace tab, 2 quick jerks on the laces over my arch and it's right where it needs to be. Swollen footed from miles, I don't even have to pull up on the laces (my feet are still sissies, they swell after about 7mi).

I'm 2 pairs deep into the Pureflow 2's, absolutely love them. I'm a midfoot striker, neutral gait, except for when I get badly fatigued, my right foot angles outward and starts to over-pronate because of it (crushed my pelvis in 2005, right leg doesn't hang quite the same, so I have to focus on keeping it straight while running). I only have ~500mi between my two pairs of Pureflow 2's. One pair is my "casual shoe" that has seen a few runs, so it's somewhere between 350/150 to 400/100, and the orange pair, the ~350+ pair still looks and feels fantastic, probably more than 50% life left. Figure I'll be getting 3's when I decide these are worn out.

So the toebox on the 3 is wider than the 2's? I'm a fairly wide forefoot, love the room in the Pureflow 2's, but wouldn't mind a tid bit more for running in wamer socks, so that'll be an advantage.

Seems like the 1 was a good shoe, the 2 was a small jump forward, and the small tweaks they made to the 3 sound like refining a pretty damn good shoe.
Quote Reply
Re: Brooks Pure Flow 3 [Chokebait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The tongue is fixed, it is connected on the instep side. Lock laces may well be the way to go for fast transitions. I have never felt like I needed them before.

It is encouraging that past versions are living up to milage claims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SdB wrote:
The tongue is fixed, it is connected on the instep side. Lock laces may well be the way to go for fast transitions. I have never felt like I needed them before.

It is encouraging that past versions are living up to milage claims.

I really just tried the locklaces on my road shoes because the shop I bought them from gave me a pair for free. I was coming back to "longer than 5mi at a time" running after a LONG hiatus, so my feet were swelling like crazy at the time. Put on the lock laces and my feet stopped falling asleep during runs. Then I started appreciating how easy it was to get in.

I'm working on finding my groove for transition where I can just have the locklaces as tight as I'll need them for the run, and just forcing my foot in. A guy I train with does that with Pure Cadences, hook one finger in the back, pull back HARD to get the foot in, and it goes in, no tying, no pulling, just running.

To your point about the mileage claims, although the Pure Cadence isn't the exact same shoe, it's the same materials and same style construction. That guy I mentioned has over 500miles on his PC's, from last season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You many want to try the saucony mirage. Its between the kinvarna and the cortana. Ive really enjoyed the K-ona as well and sorry to see it go. The mirage is also similar to the hoka in profile without all the extra cushioning and weight.
The mirage has been a shoe that seems to work for me. We may be similar and I would bet it would be good for you too. JMTC
Quote Reply
Re: Brooks Pure Flow 3 [PBFLRacing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For some reason the Mirage was not on my radar. It should have been. At 8.8 ounce (vs 8.4 Pureflow3), 4mm drop and similar to the Kinvara but with touch more support the specs look good. I saw some posts on a slightly smaller toe-box on the Mirage- do you find this?

I did a short 20min treadmill run on the Pureflow 3's today. The shoes felt good. One different observation- they seem to have more forefoot cushion under the first metatarsal head. I didn't notice it after 15mins, but it was just something that made me wonder a bit in the beginning.

I have a half marathon race mid-Feb so there should be plenty of time to break in the final solution.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SdB wrote:
For some reason the Mirage was not on my radar. It should have been. At 8.8 ounce (vs 8.4 Pureflow3), 4mm drop and similar to the Kinvara but with touch more support the specs look good. I saw some posts on a slightly smaller toe-box on the Mirage- do you find this?

I did a short 20min treadmill run on the Pureflow 3's today. The shoes felt good. One different observation- they seem to have more forefoot cushion under the first metatarsal head. I didn't notice it after 15mins, but it was just something that made me wonder a bit in the beginning.

I have a half marathon race mid-Feb so there should be plenty of time to break in the final solution.

I have used the PureCadence since they first came out….switched from the Mirage and am going to try the Mirage 4 when it comes out in February. I will also try the PureCadence 3 when it is released by Finishline (or other e-tailer that gets exclusive colors) in a color that is not hideous. I also bought the Asics Super J-33. A little less shoe, but can easily do 10-15 miles in them (haven't gone further in these yet)…and would imagine a marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not found the mirage to have too tight of a toe box. I have a wide foot and a wide enough toe box is a must for me. Give the mirage a try.
Quote Reply