Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Brooks PureFlow 4
Quote | Reply
In all honesty, my Pure Flow 2 shoes still have some life left in them. I think they probably fit me better than any other show I've owned. I'm hoping the size 9 PureFlow 3 and/or 4 fit exactly the same. Snug heel and semi-loose toe box with a tongue that doesn't slip.

Anyway, here's a short review and photo of the new PureFlow 4. http://issuu.com/...thlon-plus-edition57 it's on p. 51.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Brooks PureFlow 4 [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love my pureflow 2's. I've gone through about four pairs of them so far with another two on deck. I tried pureflow 3's but they flipped the tongue attachment side and reduced padding around the foot entry point of the shoe on the medial side of the ankle which created a lot of discomfort and bruising for me. I bought up all the pureflow 2's I could find locally and am waiting out the pureflow 4's.
Quote Reply
Re: Brooks PureFlow 4 [Howlandm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Howlandm wrote:
I tried pureflow 3's but they flipped the tongue attachment side

Oh man. I haven't even tried on a pair yet, but I ran a cold race barefoot in flats (not Brooks) where the tongue kept slipping into the shoes. The first time it happened I literally stopped to adjust them and tried to put it out of mind it the next time. I have scars on both feet now from shoelace burns to prove what a poor design a floppy tongue can be.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did they tighten the width on the PureFlow 2? I had a few pairs of the original PureFlows, absolutely loved them. Bought some 2s and just never got on with them, feet never felt right, too constricted and seemed to cause lower leg niggles.
Quote Reply
Re: Brooks PureFlow 4 [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's interesting, cartsman. I don't think they tightened them. But, I use bungee laces on all my shoes and keep the bungees very loose, so much so that the shoe easily slips on and off my foot with ease but stays on perfectly during a run. I don't notice any pressure or tightness anywhere on my foot in the 2's. Even the 3's were fine (for a couple runs) until the entry point of the shoe where the tongue attaches to the shoe started rubbing my medial ankle bone area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Did they tighten the width on the PureFlow 2? I had a few pairs of the original PureFlows, absolutely loved them. Bought some 2s and just never got on with them, feet never felt right, too constricted and seemed to cause lower leg niggles.

The asymmetrical lacing is probably what got you.
Quote Reply
Re: Brooks PureFlow 4 [Howlandm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have wide feet with very high arches, causes me a lot of problems finding shoes that aren't tight across the top of the foot. Realised I actually have PureCadence 1 and 2s, which I believe are very similar to the Flows. Just did a comparison and they're exactly the same length but the sole of the 2s is definitely a little narrower which I guess is what caused me the problems.

Reading reviews it sounds like a lot of people had similar problems, and the 3 is supposed to have a narrower toe box. Guess I'd better hope they change direction with the 4s or else go find another brand to try!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran in the PureCadence 2's, and loved them. I've got one foot about a size bigger than the other, but the Brooks split the difference very well and it didn't feel like my shorter foot was "swimming" in the shoe. Once I was in need of a new pair, I couldn't find any of the Pure line that fit my foot well. One foot was either swimming, or too tight. I tried on a lot of different shoes, but ended up with the Adidas Adios Boost's, and love them. Not as comfortable as the Brooks barefoot though, get a little more chaffing... I believe that was supposed to be addressed in the Adios Boost 2's, but haven't looked since I got my other pair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
I have wide feet with very high arches, causes me a lot of problems finding shoes that aren't tight across the top of the foot. Realised I actually have PureCadence 1 and 2s, which I believe are very similar to the Flows. Just did a comparison and they're exactly the same length but the sole of the 2s is definitely a little narrower which I guess is what caused me the problems.

Reading reviews it sounds like a lot of people had similar problems, and the 3 is supposed to have a narrower toe box. Guess I'd better hope they change direction with the 4s or else go find another brand to try!

The cadence is a very different shoe. It is heavier, narrower and has stability support.

I've been wearing flow's as my primary shoe for awhile now.
Flow 1: great, but a little narrow in the toe box. 590 miles, wore as daily sneakers for another year.
2: wider toe box (edit: perhaps not, Thanks Jaymz)! The attached tongue is fun, but I never had any trouble with the normal tongue on the flow 1. The asymmetrical lacing and especially the (now double) split toe seem are just kinda gimmicky. 550 miles (wear daily) and about to phase out the second pair, currently at 500 miles.
3: Feels the same as the 2, but the tongue attaches on the other side. Eh, whatever. It didn't make any difference to me. The 3's seem to hold up a lot longer. One pair is at 450 miles (still feel great) and the second has 50.
4: coming out early January sometime. I actually spoke to a rep about them yesterday. She said the tongue has come full circle and is no longer attached, but is super thin like a racing flat. I can't see it in the pic in the tri mag, but she said there was something keeping it from falling to the side.
Last edited by: dfroelich: Dec 20, 14 11:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's so annoying how Brooks changes the PureFlow line so often. My current PureFlow 3s may be my last pair because of this fact, but lots (every?) shoe mfg seems to be doing the same thing these days.
Quote Reply
Re: Brooks PureFlow 4 [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you sure? Nearly every report I read stated that from the Flow 2 they had a narrower toe box and were more in line with the cadence. That was everyones main issue with the 2 onwards.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Brooks PureFlow 4 [Jaymz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jaymz wrote:
Are you sure? Nearly every report I read stated that from the Flow 2 they had a narrower toe box and were more in line with the cadence. That was everyones main issue with the 2 onwards.

I trashed my old flow 1's so I can't be sure, but perhaps I had a different size. I am reading some comparison articles and am seeing what you described.
All I remember was comparing the 2's vs. the 1's and the sole was more shapely. It seemed like there was more volume at the toes. It is entirely possible it was just in my mind. I never had cramping with any of them, so again...I could very well be mistaken!

I do still have my original pair of connects (1). Even though I put 325 miles on them, I cannot fit my foot in there comfortably anymore. They are incredibly tight at the balls of my feet. So, perhaps I was thinking about that pair as well...anyway. I am going to edit my above post. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Brooks PureFlow 4 [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No probs. I never tried any of the other Flows because of what people said. I was actually hoping you were right! I was buying them on eBay, even used. The 1's are in short supply now, the new Kinvaras are actually fairly similar inside at the toe box, just not as soft underfoot. Saucony ditched their wide version if the K's and it seems they just widened the 5 a bit instead.

I have never found a pair of running shoes that has fitted. Long skinny size 14 feet with a lot of width at the ball of the foot and also wide toe spread. Shoes are either too tight at the toes and ball or like boats everywhere else. The search continues (Yes, I have tried Altra .... for whoever was about to post that! :) )

Quote Reply
Re: Brooks PureFlow 4 [Jaymz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd give them a try..I picked up a pair in 14 and so far so good..they were the 3's...Atltras too tight in toes, NB as well, Newton were good but rubbed top of big toe...I can feel your pain for foot wear...
Quote Reply
Re: Brooks PureFlow 4 [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will try. I think manufacturers get to the larger sizes and give up, hence the jump from 13 straight to 14. If people need half sizes all the way through from 6 - 13 why do they not need a 13.5.

Simply from a perfectionist point of view it is highly annoying. The fact that I am pretty sure I always need a 13.5 is even more so.

Quote Reply