Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Brooklyn Triathlon
Quote | Reply
I am doing the Bklyn Tri in November, and it is my first potentially cold weather tri. I think I'll be well prepared for the bike/run portion. My concern is the swim. I have a wetsuit and plan on wearing two swimcaps (including a neoprene one). Someone recommended neoprene gloves/booties as well. The only neoprene gloves I see online are webbed. Are these legal to wear in a race? If not, does anyone know where I can get non-webbed? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Brooklyn Triathlon [orca72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It'll be awkward as hell trying to swim-swim- in gloves, but surf companies make them. http://www.dogfunk.com/...bUkroCFQpxQgoda3oAUQ

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: Brooklyn Triathlon [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was at an info session for the race this week, they said Blue Seventy makes something and that we would be getting an email
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any word on WHY this race was cancelled?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
orca72 wrote:

I actually thought about doing it.....seemed super fun to get one last race in, flat bike appealed as well. Water temp didn't scare me off but the price sure did. A two hour drive at 4 am doesn't daunt me. But whoa, $250 for an entry is out of this world. I've gotta watch my budget this year. For me, that's too much. I need to get 2-3 sprint/oly races or a cool higher level HIM for $250. Heck my Xterra-killing mountain bike build is going to come out to less than that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In case you haven't already seen this, it's the text from the e-mail.

"I want to personally let each of you know that the Brooklyn Triathlon at Coney Island is being postponed until 2014.

Last week we had a series of very productive meetings with the Mayor's Office of Special Events, NYPD, Parks Department, NYFD and the Coast Guard, as well as a great town hall-style meeting at R&A Cycles with registered and interested competitors.

The result of all these meetings is that the City of New York has offered us the opportunity to have the race on October 26, 2014. We are in the process of applying for the date immediately. For us and for participants, this is a huge opportunity. Our sponsors including R&A Cycles, Herbalife, blueseventy, Champion System and our charity partner, Race2Rebuild are fully supportive of the move.

All of the meetings that were held last week demonstrated the positive and enthusiastic support we are receiving from everyone in Brooklyn, so we are even more committed to making this an event that has longevity and is a permanent part of the Brooklyn sports scene."

As you can see:
  • It's not a cancellation, just a 12-month postponement. I wonder how the Jack Caress, Race Director, would feel if his birthday was "postponed" for a year.
  • There aren't reasons for it being cancelled / postponed, it's an opportunity.

It's such BS that it could almost be a joke. But not a funny one if they're using the word "postponement" to sting me for $250 for an event I'll never see.
Quote Reply
Re: Brooklyn Triathlon [Insidious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Insidious wrote:
orca72 wrote:

I actually thought about doing it.....seemed super fun to get one last race in, flat bike appealed as well. Water temp didn't scare me off but the price sure did. A two hour drive at 4 am doesn't daunt me. But whoa, $250 for an entry is out of this world. I've gotta watch my budget this year. For me, that's too much. I need to get 2-3 sprint/oly races or a cool higher level HIM for $250. Heck my Xterra-killing mountain bike build is going to come out to less than that.

Agreed! If you are 2 hours from Brooklyn, hopefully you're north of the city... you can do my race for $25!!!! I'm not cancelling!! All the craft beer you can drink!!! Weather could be iffy in May in upstate NY, but the bike/run course is far from flat. I make up for it in the swim...

The Rat Snake:
A Tribute Race at Gilbert Lake State Park, Laurens, NY May 16 2015
Follow the Rat Snake on Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Brooklyn Triathlon [dforbes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your race to honor the Doc, looks like fun, I might have to put that one on the list.
Quote Reply
Re: Brooklyn Triathlon [JustDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I PROMISE, you will not regret it. My hanks for your consideration.

The Rat Snake:
A Tribute Race at Gilbert Lake State Park, Laurens, NY May 16 2015
Follow the Rat Snake on Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Brooklyn Triathlon [Neil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Believe it or not, they cancelled this year's event too. It was scheduled for next weekend. Some folks are still complaining that they didn't get last year's refund, and I wonder what will happen this time.

-------------------------
Jonathan Cane
City Coach Multisport
http://www.citycoach.org
Quote Reply
Re: Brooklyn Triathlon [joncane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any reason why this years was canceled?.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Re: Brooklyn Triathlon [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
Any reason why this years was canceled?.

They say they just got a 6-figure quote from the city for their services and can't go on because of that expense. It strikes me as odd that they are just dealing with that now. Considering last year's debacle, I'm not inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

-------------------------
Jonathan Cane
City Coach Multisport
http://www.citycoach.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They were also supposed to hold a draft legal collegiate event that would be one of the qualifiers for the women's national championship in November.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone actually received their refund for the Brooklyn Triathlon?

tony
Quote Reply
Re: Brooklyn Triathlon [tonygale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No refund. Only EXCUSES. Wish they were honest enough to say "you are not getting it". I have a trail of emails promising my refund -not counting on ever getting it.
Quote Reply