Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Broken clavicle / ribs recovery time?
Quote | Reply
Crashed out in Sundays Breath of Life Olympic, first trI crash in over 10 years of racing so guess I am lucky. Major injuries were broken left clavicle and broken ribs 1 through 7 on the left. Plus a small pneumothorax requiring a chest tube. Thank god for a good helmet as the side of my head took a good thwacking. Head had a nice sized egg but helmet (which is being trashed) showed baaically no sign of impacr.

First broken ribs. I've done the clavicle a few times. Together they seem to be especially painful. Other than a 2 mile swim in August (obviously out) have nothing else plannée until October time frame, so I am not in any hurry or have any deadlines.

Any advice or thoughts how long this will take to be in the rear view mirror? Or thing to do/not do to assist recovery. Had a separated shoulder a few years back and got really good advice here . I also acknowledge you can't give medical advice,only practical tips. Also wondering if the rib/clavicle combo changes the typical 6-7 weeks for bone repair.

Thanks in advance

Eta writing from the hospital under dilauded so you'll excuse the errors...
Last edited by: ChrisM: Jun 30, 15 4:16
Quote Reply
Re: Broken clavicle / ribs recovery time? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jebus ! I had the same thing happen to me almost a year ago to the day. I came off my bike in a decent into a turn, and was jammed up by a terrible rider in front of me.
I came off and smashed right into a giant boulder. I broke the clavicle and 12 ribs, both front and back. My helmet was trashed as it took some brunt.
Chest tube too - 2nd worst pain ever !
It took a good 8 weeks for the ribs to heal up. I had 2 shoulder surgeries. 1 to install a plate, the other to take it out. That set me back through October.
PT through November to get shoulder working again.
I was good to go in December.
If you don't have the surgery, figure 2 months.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken clavicle / ribs recovery time? [Louamerica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Yeah, meant to add they don't currently think surgery is necessary. But all 12? Well done, mine hurts like a motherfucker cant imagine how that felt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't had a shoulder break but have broken a few ribs. Took about 6 weeks to heal up enough to feel like doing anything more than walking the dogs - which I did almost daily to get outside. I was riding easy on the trainer after a couple of weeks though. Swimming was about 7-8 weeks.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done the clavicle/ribs/pneumothorax trifecta (no chest tube needed though) - clavicle required surgery and I was able to get in the pool six weeks later for some basic drills (do a search for Doug Stern's sewing machine drill, I can't do it justice in explaining it myself but it was a huge help for me). Luckily my crash happened after my tri season ended so I was able to fully recover over the winter and racer again the following spring.

Hope this helps. good luck and heal well!

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine was June 10 - broken clavicle on the left, wrist on the right. Dog got me. No ribs, fortunately.
No surgery, similar to you. I've read/researched all I can, and best I get is about 6 weeks to 'normal' activities, although normal is very subjective.

I've been taking a litany of vitamins that are supposed to help (someone will soon follow this with the 'expensive pee' comment).
Lots of dairy, and I'm supplementing my protein intake as well.

Results of supplements/protein? No medical benefit apparent at my 2 1/2 wk doc appointment.
Disheartening at best.

I've done leg workouts (light weights) starting at week 2, and recumbent bike some (30 min) so far.
I would think you can do recumbent in a similar timeframe, but probably no weights.

I'll be watching for some sage advice here.(other than 'you should have bought the insurance on your IM entry fee', which is now readily apparent)

----------------------------
Last edited by: mountainman: Jun 30, 15 10:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crashed 6 weeks ago. Clavicle and 4 ribs. Surgery 5 weeks ago. I've got a titanium hook plate in me right now. Distal clavicle fracture, would not heal on its own, plus it fractured so near the end a regular plate would not hold it in place so I have a hook under the AC joint.

Do you have a recliner? If not buy one, or if you are well off buy an adjustable bed like in hospitals. You won't be able to sleep flat for weeks. Here's how mine went.

Week 1: PAIN. In a recliner nearly all the time. Looking at the clock waiting for the 3 hours so I can take my next pain pill. Shoulder was so painful that I could not even feel the ribs. Need hand holds on my good side just to get up. Table, shelf, counter, whatever's there.

Week 2: stopped pain meds. Dull pain in shoulder like tooth ache. Unless I moved carelessly then painful. I started feeling the ribs more. Coughing and sneezing sucked.

Week 3. almost no pain. Started PT. Soreness and moderate pain returned after PT, but good pain. Not in clavicle, but in the shoulder in general, around AC joint, and in the back where it meets with the scapula. Gotta keep up with PT. You do not want frozen AC joint. Also started riding in the garage first 15 minutes then 20 and now doing 30-40 every day. And started elliptical. No running. The jostling is much too painful in the shoulder.

Week 4. More aggressive PT. More soreness and tightness in the shoulder. Hurts if I move the arm too abruptly.

Week 5. Here now. Surgeon, a triathlete himself, wants to see me lift my arm completely overhead, cross behind to touch my back, and lift arm to the side to over 90 degrees. I can do one of those three. I've got PT in like 2 hours. This will suck. :)

Edit: here's what I got: http://bonepit.com/...0plate%2041F%201.jpg
Last edited by: Dilbert: Jun 30, 15 10:23
Quote Reply
Re: Broken clavicle / ribs recovery time? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had that plate and hook. You aren't supposed to lift your arm straight up with that. Hence the hook in the AC joint. It's supposed to prevent the clavicle from turning, which it does when you lift your arm.
The good/bad thing about that plate is that it will come out, or you will never swim properly again.
Coming out is MUCH easier than going in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well my surgeon who put that thing in there said I need to be able to lift my arm, and regain full mobility. The sooner the better. I'm not there yet 5 weeks post op, and he said I should be, so he gave me Sgt Hartman treatment last time I saw him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris hey saw your post and wanted to respond. I broke my clavicle a week ago Sunday during a race. Looks like I got off a little easier than you, in addition to my break I just have a few stitches and road rash. Best of luck on the recovery.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken clavicle / ribs recovery time? [gshtrisport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 8 weeks post surgery for my broken clavicle. Saw surgeon last week. He said it is healing very quickly, which surprised him. I have been cleared to run, bike and light weights. 3 weeks from now I will be cleared to swim. Lots of ice and ROM exercises, very important. I am still hopeful for IMFlorida. I have been running a week and I think I have lost all fitness. This is going to take a while to get back in shape.

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Re: Broken clavicle / ribs recovery time? [konaexpress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What we all need is airbags with freefall accelerometers on them. Wear them like arm and leg warmers, and helmet cover?, and they inflate when we are crashing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need training wheels that 6 year olds use.

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear. Having done my sternum (yes it did hurt) and clavicle I can only sympathise. My sister (nurse and tutor) told me to eat fortified breakfast cereals. I was very sceptical, but the clavicle set very quickly. I was free of pain in 3 weeks. I was good to ride a bike on the road in 5-6 tops.

Don't laugh for 5-6 weeks and you'll be good!

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Broken clavicle / ribs recovery time? [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkippyKitten wrote:
Don't laugh for 5-6 weeks and you'll be good!

That right there is funny! Cruel, but funny.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Broke 6 ribs, clavicle, and acetabulum on May 10 riding over some wet railroad tracks. I had surgery on my clavicle and acetabulum. Because I'm non-weight bearing on my leg I've been given permission to use my right arm at will. I highly recommend having surgery for almost any clavicle fracture. Preop I could not move my arm and postop I had almost normal range of motion. I haven't been cleared to freestyle swim yet (seeing my surgeon for x-rays tomorrow and hoping he okays it - I'm 7 weeks out). I still have pain but it's manageable with tylenol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Well my surgeon who put that thing in there said I need to be able to lift my arm, and regain full mobility. The sooner the better. I'm not there yet 5 weeks post op, and he said I should be, so he gave me Sgt Hartman treatment last time I saw him.

I get that. But still, PT must be death !
Are you scheduled to get the pin out ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Louamerica wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

I get that. But still, PT must be death !
Are you scheduled to get the pin out ?

6 months post op, 5 months from now, they will remove the plate and screws. Pin? Through the bone? They didn't give me that.

Yeah PT sucks. Forward range of motion (up to 130-140 degrees, working on full 170-180 overhead), as well as side (100 or so almost as good as my good side), are impeded by stiffness and soreness. I can tell I can do better. The rotation, reaching behind to touch my back, is a disaster. I can feel something immovable inside the shoulder pressing against the AC socket and rubbing as I'm rotating the joint. Probably the end of the hook. Think of cupping your hand and rubbing the palm on the edge of a table. That's just wrong.

That's all assisted. PT moving me, or me moving with my other arm, or holding onto something and moving my body. The arm can barely lift its own weight a tiny bit under its own power that's how weak it is.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Jun 30, 15 17:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6 months ??? Yikes ! I had mine out in 2 months - if that.. I had my PT done after it came out. 2 days after the staples came out I was in PT.
Now, full disclosure, I had a brain tumor removed in December.
But I did rehab the shoulder and eat hamburgers in November.
I finally started running again in march, swimmining in April and biking in May.
I'm down 35 lbs and feeling great.
But 6 months is too long to have that plate/pin in.. You just need the bone to fuse together.
And don't worry about getting it out. It's quick and easy.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken clavicle / ribs recovery time? [TankBoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a serious note, take whatever pain relief you can to make sure you keep breathing as normally as possible.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Broken clavicle / ribs recovery time? [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a mtb accident and was out of biking and running for about 8 weeks, take care and best wishes
Quote Reply
Re: Broken clavicle / ribs recovery time? [L__Money] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
L__Money wrote:
Broke 6 ribs, clavicle, and acetabulum on May 10 riding over some wet railroad tracks. I had surgery on my clavicle and acetabulum. Because I'm non-weight bearing on my leg I've been given permission to use my right arm at will. I highly recommend having surgery for almost any clavicle fracture. Preop I could not move my arm and postop I had almost normal range of motion. I haven't been cleared to freestyle swim yet (seeing my surgeon for x-rays tomorrow and hoping he okays it - I'm 7 weeks out). I still have pain but it's manageable with tylenol.

Ortho said yesterday that he recommends the surgery. Sounds like you think it was worth it. I am a bit freaked out by it but it's looking like the way to go....
Quote Reply