Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Broken Clavicle (Collar Bone) Recovery
Quote | Reply
Broke my clavicle no surgery.

Two weeks until my next doc appointment so I need some answers now!

Five weeks in a sling I lost a lot of shoulder muscle. How long does it take to regain some back?

Is it okay to go on an elliptical before I am clear for running? I have been walking on the treadmill as a form of substitution for running. Is it worth the risk to try elliptical over just walking on incline?
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Clavicle (Collar Bone) Recovery [peterliu88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I broke mine a few years ago and had surgery. Basically, once I could stand the pain I could do the (non-swimming) workouts again. I was riding on the trainer the first week, running took a while though (jarring) I'd think so long as you weren't hanging on to the elliptical swinging your arm you'd be fine.

Of course it's probably best to discuss with the doc and not a faceless dude on the net (even a handsome faceless dude like me.)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was given the go on cycling before hitting the pool and running (due to shoulder movement). 2 months of recovery and PT before I started riding and I've been seeing my ortho every 2 weeks, 3 mos from jogging and 4 mos before swimming. Note that I was more concerned in properly healing than training/racing, also I didn't take the pain meds they gave me, Ibuprofen was enough when it hurts. My left shoulder and trap area still feels weird after swimming. Get with your ortho and explain you have an active lifestyle so you want to get back on track asap. Good luck, it sucks but take your time unless you can't.
Last edited by: flyrunride: Jun 2, 15 8:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you try riding indoors? That usually comes back first. Then elliptical and maybe 4-5 weeks in short runs on a treadmill so you can stop if it hurts.

That's my plan. Broke a clavicle and four ribs 2 weeks ago. Had surgery a week ago. Mine was a tricky distal fracture so I got a hook plate under the AC joint and I'll need second surgery to get it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure you're aware no two of these injuries are the same. Mine also no surgery but took ~10 months since the bone was not mending at all early on and then only slowly. I'm guessing your doc will x-ray again. Wait for that and then ask what their opinion on training is. No rush - lots of races, even if you have to wait until next year.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by peterliu88 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Broke mine in 2012. No surgery. Swim was the last to come back. Probably 60-90 days before I swam any. Was on trainer within a month and running somewhere between the bike and swim. Broke mine in late summer so I didn't try pushing it. It healed fine and hasn't hampered me in any way since. Good luck on your recovery.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by peterliu88 [ In reply to ]
Re: Broken Clavicle (Collar Bone) Recovery [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Did you try riding indoors? That usually comes back first. Then elliptical and maybe 4-5 weeks in short runs on a treadmill so you can stop if it hurts.

That's my plan. Broke a clavicle and four ribs 2 weeks ago. Had surgery a week ago. Mine was a tricky distal fracture so I got a hook plate under the AC joint and I'll need second surgery to get it out.

My crash is about three weeks ahead of yours. My road rashes pretty much healed by week 3 and I was on the trainer and doing walks on the treadmill. Next milestone would be to jog and hopefully do some kick boards in the pool (I can't believe I'm looking forward to doing kick boards).

Last edited by: peterliu88: Jun 2, 15 11:26
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Clavicle (Collar Bone) Recovery [flyrunride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flyrunride wrote:
I was given the go on cycling before hitting the pool and running (due to shoulder movement). 2 months of recovery and PT before I started riding and I've been seeing my ortho every 2 weeks, 3 mos from jogging and 4 mos before swimming. Note that I was more concerned in properly healing than training/racing, also I didn't take the pain meds they gave me, Ibuprofen was enough when it hurts. My left shoulder and trap area still feels weird after swimming. Get with your ortho and explain you have an active lifestyle so you want to get back on track asap. Good luck, it sucks but take your time unless you can't.

I was hoping I could start an Ironman race in 8 weeks. I have 9 days to decide on transfer to another race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Follow up with your Doctor. My clavicle break never did actually heal. The two bones just developed some callous material vs. calcified bone. The docs called it a "non union." Nonetheless, I got the green light to start training as long as I could stand the discomfort of the two bone ends moving all over under the skin with every swim stroke. It wasn't painful, it was just really uncomfortable. Every so often it felt Iike I struck a tuning fork on the bone end. Nasty.

Net result, I waited 10 months for mine to actually heal. It didn't. Had surgery to have it plated on May 1. It feels better 30 days after surgery than it did after 9 months without surgery. I'm riding my bike on the trainer (4 weeks post surgery) and I anticipate I'll get the OK from my doc to get back to swimming and running soon (7 weeks after surgery).

My point is, you want to make sure you actually heal up before jumping back into training. It's risky to generalize how your situation is or is not applicable to what happened with others.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Clavicle (Collar Bone) Recovery [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Surgery tomorrow for me.

Approximately how long was it before you could drive? At some time they are going to notice I am not in work.

I've had very little pain from the break so far (the extensive and deep road rash and bruising from the crash was much worse), but I am ready pain after the surgery.

I'll obviously ask my doc (a runner and former triathlete) lots of recovery questions but a ballpark answer on driving would be useful

thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
peterliu88 wrote:

I was hoping I could start an Ironman race in 8 weeks. I have 9 days to decide on transfer to another race.

Sorry to hear about the break, but your race is in 8 weeks and you just broke it? Ask your doctor of course before listening to anyone here, but I would get that thing healed properly and start a slow progression to another race much later in the season.

Did you Dr. give you the option of surgery? Do you have x-rays you can post here?

Also, since you probably have some time on your hands, do a search on this here, there have been many long threads about clavicle fxs..

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Clavicle (Collar Bone) Recovery [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rich_m wrote:
Surgery tomorrow for me.

Approximately how long was it before you could drive? At some time they are going to notice I am not in work.

I've had very little pain from the break so far (the extensive and deep road rash and bruising from the crash was much worse), but I am ready pain after the surgery.

I'll obviously ask my doc (a runner and former triathlete) lots of recovery questions but a ballpark answer on driving would be useful

thank you

My rule is no driving until I'm off the narcotics during the day. At night before bed doesn't count.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i drove the day after surgery and in the couple days before sx too.
i'm right handed and the hardest part was reaching to put my car in reverse or drive. my fx was kinda bad and was in a sling for 6 weeks, even for sleeping.

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I deffered a June race in April last year after I had a PE. I came back from that ok. But still.. Bones take time.
I crashed in July last year, multiple broken bones. All my September races were trashed too..
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Clavicle (Collar Bone) Recovery [bmeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you

driving one handed or was your arm out of the sling (currently have a complete arm immobilizer - which is a sling and a second strap connecting my arm to my body) - if only for driving?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Laws vary by state but in NJ if you get pulled over (for any infraction) and your arm is in a sling, the charge is "driving while impaired." Same penalties, points and insurance impact as a DUI. Check your local laws and ask your dr whether you can remove the sling to drive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i drove with the sling one handed. i had probably the same sling and strap as you. i've always driven left handed. i grew up on a farm and all the hydraulic levers and throttle and gears were on my right so at least that felt normal.

now going to the bathroom was different. i never really got used to that.

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Clavicle (Collar Bone) Recovery [shovelhd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shovelhd wrote:

My rule is no driving until I'm off the narcotics during the day. At night before bed doesn't count.

+1

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Clavicle (Collar Bone) Recovery [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not drive while I was on pain killers. At all. But that was only a few days. I stopped taking that crap as soon as possible.

Started driving one handed with an arm in a sling.

Now 2 months later, no more sling, almost no pain except when getting up out of bed or couch, or when doing PT/strength exercises. But shoulder is still stiff and sore. It's very uncomfortable while running. I can only lift about 5 lbs and even that's iffy, so I don't trust myself to ride outside yet. Can't lift my arm overhead so no swimming at all. Unless I want to do a one-handed kickboard. I see no point in that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rich_m wrote:
Surgery tomorrow for me.

thank you

Good luck with the surgery, hope it goes well.

Damn, there's a lot of us out there, I don't feel so alone in having the 2015 season kicked to the gutter. 6/28 crash, hospital phucked up so my surgery wasn't until 7/17, I am now 10 days out. That first few hours post surgery was the most comfortable I'd been in the entire last month. Last narcotic was Friday and I was not going to drive while on them (even at night), so I was driving this weekend (mine is my left so not an issue). Good to know about the driving while impaired bit, I had a sheriff behind me for a bit this a.m. and was wondering.

Just went to the doc for a follow up, he really emphasized no running for 3 mos post surgery, elliptical and trainer OK for now (or not right now, soon....). He had to repair a previous non union break so he wants to make sure this is right, and running will create to much jarring for his liking. Can't say as I disagree, and not racing until Oceanside so plenty of time to get back to my MOP average self

But being able to take a shower without a saran wrap bandage to keep the dressing dry after today's appt was a bit of heaven

Now the hard work begins.
Last edited by: ChrisM: Jul 27, 15 12:01
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Clavicle (Collar Bone) Recovery [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you Chris.

one day out and pain has been ok. Mine is also left - but don't think I will do the one handed driving thing.

Surgery sure makes a huge difference. For me, it was when the break moved that it was painful, and it moved whenever I did. now it is locked in place with 7 screws and a plate.

I didn't do much damage to the bike (don't think I did but being checked) and have good insurance, but this is still going to be the most expensive 12 miles I have ridden. Just hope I don't come out of this being scared to go fast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rich_m wrote:
thank you Chris.

one day out and pain has been ok. Mine is also left - but don't think I will do the one handed driving thing.

Surgery sure makes a huge difference. For me, it was when the break moved that it was painful, and it moved whenever I did. now it is locked in place with 7 screws and a plate.

I didn't do much damage to the bike (don't think I did but being checked) and have good insurance, but this is still going to be the most expensive 12 miles I have ridden. Just hope I don't come out of this being scared to go fast

For me, the worst of the pain was the 12 hours right after surgery. It quickly became managable and was better than it had been prior to surgery with 24-36 hours. I was told to do NOTHING other than the gentle arm swing from a bent over position for the first 5 weeks, but know another triathlete who was cleared to bike within 4 weeks, so clearly the advice varies widely, as do the injuries. Mine was also the left, and I didn't drive the whole time I was in a sling. Partly because my car was a standard, which makes it nearly impossible, and partly because I hated the seatbelt crossing over the broken clavicle.

One tip I will share: Once I got started with physical therapy, getting range of motion back was a major PITA. I started going to the pool and kicking easy while resting my arms on a kickboard. over about 10 minutes my arm would slowly loosen up and get up over my head, at which point I would try a few strokes. I looked like quasimoto swimming, but within a few days of starting that, my range of motion improved dramatically.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rich_m wrote:
thank you Chris.

I obviously don't have any races left this year, but I am signed up for Oceanside 2016. Not to be too big a pussy about it, but I already know I am going to have some issues riding outside with other cyclists again (mine was caused by someone who made a mistake and crashed in front of me, couldn't avoid the bouncing bike). That's going to take some work to get over the mental side of this. I NEVER want to go through what I and my wife went through the last 5 weeks, ever again.

My bike thankfully was OK, but here almost 5 weeks later I haven't even been to the LBS to pick it up
Quote Reply

Prev Next