Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Brim Brothers "launches" cleat Power Meter
Quote | Reply

https://www.kickstarter.com/...r-meter-for-cyclists

€390 for one shoe, €780 for dual.

Quote:
After six years of development, Brim Brothers’ long-awaited wearable, cleat-based power meter launched on Kickstarter, quickly reaching more than 30 percent of its 100,000 euro goal.

The Zone DPMX measures power using a small plate placed between the sole of a cycling shoe and the cleat of a Speedplay pedal, replacing the four-hole to three-hole converter required to use Speedplays with three-hole shoes. A pod containing accelerometers and other gadgetry sits on top of the shoe, sending information via ANT+ to any compatible cycling computer. The system is as mobile as a pair of shoes, completely self-contained, waterproof, and, as of press time, is among the least-expensive direct-measurement power meter available.

This is not the first time Brim has launched the Zone. A promised 2014 production run and planned availability in 2015 were delayed, though the company has had working prototypes for years. The price then was $1,000, but has since dropped considerably. The company is now promising delivery to Kickstarter funders in three months’ time.

Brim Brothers is Kickstarting two models: The Zone DPMX Single, which measures power in only one cleat and will double that measurement, as Stages power meters do, and another two-foot meter called the Zone DPMX Dual, which measures power at both feet.

The Single is available for €390, and the Dual is available for €780.

Who here is interested?
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Brothers "launches" cleat Power Meter [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it feels like they are just looking for people that is willing to pay so they can test their product...

I will wait

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seemed like a cool idea like 8 years ago when they started it. Now, not so much.
Last edited by: v0coder: Feb 12, 16 5:27
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Brothers "launches" cleat Power Meter [v0coder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
v0coder wrote:
Seemed like a cool idea like 8 years ago when they started it. Now, not so much.
What's changed?
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Brothers "launches" cleat Power Meter [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
v0coder wrote:

What's changed?

The level of bitterness, apparently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still cool but there's been such a lot of promises and no product. In the meantime price has dropped on other power meters while staying pretty accurate.
It looks like they might be too late to the party
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I didn't already have a Quarq I'd have been interested in these*. I already ride speedplay and use the 3-4 hole adaptor plates, also I only have power on the TT bike and would love the convenience of having power when I ride my road bike too without having to do anything.

*subject to a positive dcrainmaker review.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There were early test batches that went out last year and the power readings were all over the place. I would stay clear of this powermeter until they have released it and someone like DCRainmaker has done comparison tests on its accuracy.
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Brothers "launches" cleat Power Meter [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've gone for a single sided unit. I still have a month to think about it before it's finalised.

The design is still the most attractive to me and the price of a single sided unit is very competitive. The newness is it's only downside - I generally don't buy new products. Let others troubleshoot them!
I already use Speedplay Zeros and I'd like to be able to use the same powermeter on both my bikes. The minor problems I foresee are whether the pod will be any problem under overshoes (I doubt it) and the limitation on needing shoes with a strap (I had been thinking about a pair of Boa equipped Bonts)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
v0coder wrote:

What's changed?
Stack height, for one thing. From an email update they sent out in October 2015:
"The thickness of the force plate has increased by 2.5 mm (about a tenth of an inch). That means that the stack height will be about 2.5 mm higher than with the standard Speedplay Zero cleat fitting."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Durability of the pods seems like a potential concern. I could see banging them or getting them caught on something while walking. I'm also not a fan of the non-replaceable batteries. A power meter is definitely something I would want to keep longer than the 3 or 4 years it will take the battery to degrade.
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Brothers "launches" cleat Power Meter [cobra_kai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's in the plates? Pressure transducer? How does the pod communicate with the sensor in the plate?! Wireless (two batteries)? Or passive RF?

How are these calibrated? Every shoe is different so the sensor has to be calibrated? Yes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
v0coder wrote:

What's changed?

What it did say and what it now says on the tin.
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Brothers "launches" cleat Power Meter [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that it is a direct wired connection between pod and plate.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given how easy it is for me to swap cranks between bikes, I don't see how this power meter adds much value to me. Especially when it means that I have to charge the battery more than once a week. I also often use multiple pairs of road shoes, and keep an extra pair in my car in case I forget them.

I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig for this product.
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Brothers "launches" cleat Power Meter [dzxc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dzxc wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
v0coder wrote:

What's changed?

The level of bitterness, apparently.

The bitterness per kilogram is strong with this one. Personally, I'll wait to see what DC Rainmaker says.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Brothers "launches" cleat Power Meter [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Irwin wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
v0coder wrote:

What's changed?
Stack height, for one thing. From an email update they sent out in October 2015:
"The thickness of the force plate has increased by 2.5 mm (about a tenth of an inch). That means that the stack height will be about 2.5 mm higher than with the standard Speedplay Zero cleat fitting."

Is this really an issue? speedplays already have a lowish stack height. Doesn't the powertap p1 have a very much increased stack height, and people seem happy enough with them.

As someone posted earlier, the proof will be with the testing, but if they prove to be as good as anything else, then I think they will be an interesting option. I for one though will wait and see how well they work before deciding.
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Brothers "launches" cleat Power Meter [srshaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
srshaw wrote:
Steve Irwin wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
What's changed?

Is this really an issue? speedplays already have a lowish stack height.

Lets take a best case scenario of a rider having a bike where they can adjust pad stack by 2.5mm. They'll still have 2.5mm extra material sticking out of the bottom of their shoe, 2.5mm more seatpost exposed, and 2.5mm more stem or pad riser exposed.

If you're stuck with larger increments, it all becomes even worse.

Personally I'm looking to get faster not slower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This whole thread is pointless until DC Rainmaker does an in-depth review.

And then we won't need the thread to make up our minds, so it will still be pointless.
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Brothers "launches" cleat Power Meter [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
What's in the plates? Pressure transducer? How does the pod communicate with the sensor in the plate?! Wireless (two batteries)? Or passive RF?

How are these calibrated? Every shoe is different so the sensor has to be calibrated? Yes?

I would assume zero offset would be set like normal, with the change being no pressure can be on the cleat (e.g. Sitting unclipped, shoes not being worn laying on their side etc. etc.)

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Brothers "launches" cleat Power Meter [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tend to agree. Now, if this were an spd or eggbeater cleat, I would think about it.

It's easy to switch PMs between road/tt bike, but much less so with CX/XC/Gravel bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Brothers "launches" cleat Power Meter [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clearly, they chose speedplay because the cleat offers the largest cleat-to-shoe interface of any cleat on the market and 90+% of speedplay users also already need to use the 3-hole to 4-hole adapter. And being able to hop on any bike with speedplay pedals with no wrenching at all, not even open-close on a quick release, is an obvious product differentiator.

Doing this on 2-hole cleats would be a whole different design challenge. 3-hole and 4-hole cleats offer a much more widely stanced platform for load distribution. Not impossible for spd/eggbeater, but a significantly different design.

And, I'm going to go out on a limb here (...'cause I never do that around here...), if someone snuck into the garage of a 99%'er triathlete and removed 2.5mm of spacers from under their stem (the inverse of adding 2.5mm pedal stack and raising the seat post equivalently), the triathlete would never know...until they someday re-measured their bike and compared to what they typed into their slowtwitch profile. Only those of us truly OCD types and/or those who necessarily purchased wind-tunnel time would ever be the wiser.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pedal/cleat-based PMs are much harder to do from a technical standpoint than those that are crank/hub/ring-based. You need to know the crank position and pedal orientation with decent accuracy. You also need to measure shear on the plate, not just pressure (ex. when pulling back when the crank is at 6:00), and I'm not sure how they can measure this.

With all those challenges, it seems suspect that a cleat-based PM would be the low cost option. Given how the price of PMs are dropping w/competition, the premium above the KS price won't be too much (assuming it works as promised).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Brothers "launches" cleat Power Meter [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which bottom brackets do you have. I was under the impression that if you get a gxp crank, you can find an adapter for pretty much any bottom bracket.
Quote Reply

Prev Next