Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Brim Bros
Quote | Reply
I see they announced today there is a further delay...they just cant seem to bring it across the finishing line:-(
Last edited by: Zulu: Oct 24, 16 8:30
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Bros [Zulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a shocking development.

Honestly, I don't want to be hater. I desperately want there to be speedplay compatible pedal or cleat power meters available, but I've completely given up on Brim Brothers. In fact I completely gave up on them years ago and they still haven't managed to ever get a product out the door.

Sucks, I'm sure it's a very hard problem to solve from an engineering perspective or we'd see other companies trying to do cleat-based as well by now.
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Bros [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:
Sucks, I'm sure it's a very hard problem to solve from an engineering perspective or we'd see other companies trying to do cleat-based as well by now.

and here you go:)

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...ower-meter-shoe.html

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Bros [Zulu] *Updae* [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump for update - sad to see...

https://www.kickstarter.com/...clists/posts/1717218

http://www.endurancesports.ca
Coaching and Training Camps

Quote Reply
Re: Brim Bros [Zulu] *Updae* [Zulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zulu wrote:
Bump for update - sad to see...

https://www.kickstarter.com/...clists/posts/1717218

This is the kind of thing that is exactly why I have never backed a Kickstarter project. These guys had a good idea, but in the end, it's $200k down the drain.
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Bros [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sometimes back kickstarters for $50 items. But I figure that if they fold, no big loss. Can't imagine gambling away a thousand dollars like that.
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Bros [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, this makes me sick. I thought it was a no brainier after the announcement at the first of the summer that they were starting production. I wanted this power meter so badly. I wish they would just send out the meters that they have even if the calibration isn't correct. This is what gets me more than anything. Flushing my money away. It really makes me feel scammed that they don't send out what they have.
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Bros [PaulMoody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These were my dream power meter. Bummer to see they never worked out.
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Bros [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This sucks!! I think I am out some cash!
Last edited by: SullivanMedia: Oct 24, 16 16:35
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Bros [SullivanMedia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In hindsight, this post makes for interesting reading:

http://www.brimbrothers.com/not-until-its-right/

Seems strange that they've gone from such a seemingly positive position to ceasing operations in just two weeks. As an outside observer, it seems like a really tough position to be in; you get a batch of production units from the factory and it turns out they're all garbage, what can you do? At the end of the day, the money has been spent and there's no product to show for it; that's the risk when you pay for something that doesn't exist, especially in a field as flaky as PMs.
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Bros [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aw3 wrote:
Seems strange that they've gone from such a seemingly positive position to ceasing operations in just two weeks.

My guess is that someone pulled their outside investment.
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Bros [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aw3 wrote:
As an outside observer, it seems like a really tough position to be in; you get a batch of production units from the factory and it turns out they're all garbage, what can you do?

At this point, I would hope they would at least send out the unit they have, even if they are defective. Yea, it would put them at a loss financially (assuming they aren't there already), but if I dropped $1000 and didn't receive ANYTHING, I'd be pissed.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Bros [Zulu] *Updae* [Zulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably for the best. If they couldn't even get a functional version out, there is no way they would have been handle the challenges of maintaining the manufacturing, distribution and customer support network, which is far greater than the basic engineering design and trial production runs.

Also, speedplay pedals suck and the design of having a strap around your shoe felt kludged to me.
Last edited by: v0coder: Oct 25, 16 6:39
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Bros [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
At this point, I would hope they would at least send out the unit they have, even if they are defective. Yea, it would put them at a loss financially (assuming they aren't there already), but if I dropped $1000 and didn't receive ANYTHING, I'd be pissed.

Look at how well this approach is working for the Limits 'power meter':( https://www.facebook.com/Limitspowermeter/

I have no doubt that it sucks to loose an investment like this. But in all honesty, sending out problematic / defective units is just going to make people more pissed off.
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Bros [Zulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.bikerumor.com/...meter-dead/#comments

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Bros [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
aw3 wrote:
As an outside observer, it seems like a really tough position to be in; you get a batch of production units from the factory and it turns out they're all garbage, what can you do?

lots of GREAT power meters in the market for 1k...

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Bros [v0coder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
v0coder wrote:
Probably for the best. If they couldn't even get a functional version out, there is no way they would have been handle the challenges of maintaining the manufacturing, distribution and customer support network, which is far greater than the basic engineering design and trial production runs.

Also, speedplay pedals suck and the design of having a strap around your shoe felt kludged to me.

I disagree about Speedplay pedals sucking.
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Bros [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
v0coder wrote:

I disagree about Speedplay pedals sucking.
Speedplay are the best pedals. The cleat power meters were always going to be a kludge. No way to cram the electronics into a cleat, therefore wire going out into a pod laced to the shoes.

What the world needs is speedplay pedals with the powermeter. They could have an external pod. It just mounts to the crank arms. No big deal.
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Bros [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's exactly what the Garmin Vectors started off as. When Garmin bought MetriGear, they were working on Speedplay power meter pedals. Garmin took over and made them use the current Vector pedal instead.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Bros [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know. We've been waiting for speedplay power pedals foreeeeever. Vectors were in design hell, before and after they got bought by Garmin. When they did finally come out they weren't speedplays. Oy.
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Bros [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:
What a shocking development.

Honestly, I don't want to be hater. I desperately want there to be speedplay compatible pedal or cleat power meters available, but I've completely given up on Brim Brothers. In fact I completely gave up on them years ago and they still haven't managed to ever get a product out the door.

Variable accuracy never stopped Kickr from shipping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
That's exactly what the Garmin Vectors started off as. When Garmin bought MetriGear, they were working on Speedplay power meter pedals. Garmin took over and made them use the current Vector pedal instead.

That's not correct. When Garmin bought MetriGear, the design had already transitioned to the Exustar pedal (probably about six months or more before the acquisition).

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Bros [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oops. Must have read the wrong thing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is speculation, but I suspect the biggest barrier to a Speedplay pedal based power meter is Speedplay itself.

Their designs are patented and they have historically been extremely aggressive about protecting their IP, google 'speedplay cease and desist' if you want to go down the rabbit hole. Given their past behavior and general attitude toward their consumers (i.e. make the pedals harder to service so you just buy new ones) I really wouldn't be surprised if 3rd party licensing of their pedals for use in a power meter is all but impossible or at the least prohibitively expensive.

Contrast this to Look style pedals which I assume the patent has either expired for or simply is not defended. Why bother with a proprietary system when you can essentially just use a generic platform that most people will still be OK with.

As for Brim Brothers, it's hard for me to have that much compassion for those who lost money on kickstarter. Not that I'm laughing at them, but it's almost 2017 and if consumers haven't realized the huge risks involved with crowdfunding by now then they really ought to be making more informed decisions with their money. Crowdfunding is always a risky prospect, but if you took even a quick glance at the near decade of missed dates and unfulfilled promises related to the Zone and still thought 'this seems like a smart buy'... well, lesson learned I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Brim Bros [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speedplay are definitely not the best. Maybe the best for some people. I switched from 5 years speedplay to shimano and don't miss speedplay at all. Aside from some cost/performance issues I had their business practices were off putting also.
Quote Reply

Prev Next