Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Brick sessions
Quote | Reply
Hi

I wondered how people do their bike/run brick session? I have two ways I do them...

1 - on a Thursday I will turbo for an hour and then go track running with my run club

2 - on a Sunday I will long ride with my cycling club then do a 10km run after over the local park

Do you think brick sessions are a must or can you do without them, also any other ideas how to do them and do you do swim/bike or swim/run?

I have VLogged my Thursday session of you would like to have a watch, huge thanks if you take the time http://youtu.be/6QyEV-FRgq0

Many thanks
Paul
Last edited by: CelebSuett: Mar 30, 17 0:05
Quote Reply
Re: Brick sessions [CelebSuett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am very new to this, but here is what I do this week (8 weeks into 16 week half plan).

TUE - REST

WED - Bike vo2max 45 minutes, Run 3 miles

THU - Swim 1,700, Run 5 miles

FRI - Bike sweet spot 45 minutes, Run 3 miles

SAT - Swim 1,700, Run 5 miles

SUN - Bike 50 miles, Run 2 miles

MON - Run 10 miles, Swim 2,500

Bolded items are my bricks. I do a lot of bricks because I am new to this and want to be ready for the half. Probably a terrible plan but it fits my family's schedule and the bricks give me some confidence.

EDIT: I'll check out your video tonight

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Last edited by: bluestacks867: Mar 29, 17 12:01
Quote Reply
Re: Brick sessions [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I checked it out, nice Vlog Paul

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much that's really helpful and interesting, what do you mean by sweet spot? also thank you for watching the VLog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CelebSuett wrote:
Thank you so much that's really helpful and interesting, what do you mean by sweet spot? also thank you for watching the VLog

your'e welcome. Do you do the vlog weekly? Me and my kids enjoyed watching it while we ate dinner. I'll have to try to subscribe to it.

From what I understand, sweet spot training is 85%-95% of your FTP.

An example of my last one was my long ride I did sweet spot on Zwift. It looked like this:

FTP 250

10 minute warm-up working up to 195 w
5 min @ 235 w <-- SS
5 min @ 215 w <-- SS
5 min @ 235 w <-- SS
5 min @ 215 w <-- SS
5 min @ 235 w <-- SS
5 min @ 215 w <-- SS
3 min @ 125 w
1 min @ 275 w
1 min @ 125 w
5 min @ 235 w <-- SS
5 min @ 215 w <-- SS
5 min @ 235 w <-- SS
5 min @ 215 w <-- SS
5 min @ 235 w <-- SS
5 min @ 215 w <-- SS
3 min @ 125 w
1 min @ 275 w
1 min @ 125 w
5 min @ 235 w <-- SS
5 min @ 215 w <-- SS
5 min @ 235 w <-- SS
5 min @ 215 w <-- SS
5 min @ 235 w <-- SS
5 min @ 215 w <-- SS
5 min @ 235 w <-- SS
5 min @ 215 w <-- SS
10 min cool-down working down to 100 w

Ended up being 2 hours 10 minutes with 1 hours 40 minutes at sweet spot. That was much longer than usual. Most of the time I do 10 minute warm up, 30-40 minute SS, 10 minute cool-down, but this happened to be on Sunday (my "long ride").

Link to zwift workout

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of debate about the true value of them.

For the most part, they are a way of extending the session. They also help minimise the shower / changing time for the time crunched amongst us.

They can be a key part of race prep in order to get paces dialled in depending on the race. If you cant run a mile off the bike at race pace they your either cycling to hard, or running to fast. Bricks can help this assessment.

The 'teaching yourself to run on tired legs / run off the bike' idealogy is much maligned for various reasons. Quick search should turn up enough threads on this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah that's awesome you all watched 😊 Yeah I do one a week and put it on YouTube every Monday, just started it so my family could see a little of what I do

Thank you so much for the information that's so awesome to read, hope all your training is going well and thanks again

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Brick sessions [trihard1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never quite understood the "against bricks" side of the debate. In my mind, they are a tool like any other tool. They have their specific use and are easily fit into a well structured training plan. Why someone would argue that there is low value in doing a swim/bike or bike/run brick that wants compete well in a triathlon is mystifying to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Brick sessions [Russ Brandt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. I agree.

I just think there true value as a tool is for the reasons I highlighted, as opposed to the other reason I highlighted.

I for one think they are key in getting pace dialled in for your goal race.
Quote Reply
Re: Brick sessions [trihard1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much, totally understand the learning to run on tired legs. It's a weird feeling and good to get used to it, not sure I have totally got used to the feeling and wondered if doing the brick sessions actually helped
Quote Reply
Re: Brick sessions [Russ Brandt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for all the info it's really helpful and appreciate it a lot
Quote Reply