Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Brett Sutton On Disc Wheels
Quote | Reply
So I know some people don't like the guy. But here he says - or repeats - that "A disc needs to be up to around 40km an hour to be of a real true speed advantage."

I thought this has been proven untrue.

http://trisutto.com/...eel-is-right-for-me/
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton On Disc Wheels [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another person to add to the list of people to not listen to.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never seen any conditions where a bike is ridable but a disc isn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" In a crosswind (particularly when it’s gusty), more energy "

No actually, less energy is used...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Always use a disc" has been replaced with "Always use a pull buoy"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:
So I know some people don't like the guy. But here he says - or repeats - that "A disc needs to be up to around 40km an hour to be of a real true speed advantage."

Sutto says crazy stuff when it comes to basic physics or basically anything to do with science. He may know how to get a lot out of some athletes, and produces champions, but that's in the void of any application of physics when it comes to moving a bike through the air. There are much better resources on this forum who are just regular age groupers who know what they are talking about. Listen to them!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Sep 8, 17 7:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only way I can square what's he's saying re wheels/discs are:

1. He is predominantly focused on Kona, where discs are not allowed.
2. He is predominantly focused on long course, where it is def true that the time you will lose messing with a flat inefficiently will far exceed time lost to 2nd best aero wheels

Fair enough in my count. Although I do think it's probably a bit much to say that you have to be 24.5mph (40k/ph) to get disc benefits when the physics don't agree with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Is it fair to say that his statement about using a disc wheel will beat you up more for the run, or you will have a worse run, also not true? I don't remember reading these kinds of claims in Joe Friel's books or really any book that I've read.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He should become an ENVE rep and just talk everyone out of disc wheels.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton On Disc Wheels [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
He should become an ENVE rep and just talk everyone out of disc wheels.

Or perhaps they could partner with Silca, Rapha, et. al. for a super exclusive wheel cover

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton On Disc Wheels [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
seeyouincourt wrote:

Sutto says crazy stuff when it comes to basic physics or basically anything to do with science. He may know how to get a lot out of some athletes, and produces champions, but that's in the void of any application of physics when it comes to moving a bike through the air. There are much better resources on this forum who are just regular age groupers who know what they are talking about. Listen to them!

I just read his article and I thought it was right on. I see folks trying to read stuff into what he wrote that I did not see written. I thought he made a lot of great points.
And on the disc wheel, I have had the same type of thoughts. If you do have a flat, and it is a pain to change, maybe an easier wheel to deal with is worth considering.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton On Disc Wheels [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

2. He is predominantly focused on long course, where it is def true that the time you will lose messing with a flat inefficiently will far exceed time lost to 2nd best aero wheels

Fair enough in my count. Although I do think it's probably a bit much to say that you have to be 24.5mph (40k/ph) to get disc benefits when the physics don't agree with that.

Changing a tire on my Jet disc is no different than any of my other Jet rims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:
Is it fair to say that his statement about using a disc wheel will beat you up more for the run, or you will have a worse run, also not true? I don't remember reading these kinds of claims in Joe Friel's books or really any book that I've read.

Disc wheels that aren't solid (HED Jet, Flo, etc) won't beat you up any more than any other spoked wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just seen this picture of his latest super star riding a disc getting ready to crush the 70.3.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYywBYmgAqi/

I don't necessarily disagree with everything he says - there is more to life than spreadsheets when it comes to race day - but I tend to think he could do more to make his pro's more skilled at sorting out their own mechanicals. Remember Chrissie at the side of the road trying to fix a flat in Kona? That was simply poor prep in my opinion.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton On Disc Wheels [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"He should become an ENVE rep and just talk everyone out of disc wheels. "

This right here!!! love it
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton On Disc Wheels [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
earthling wrote:
Just seen this picture of his latest super star riding a disc getting ready to crush the 70.3.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYywBYmgAqi/

I don't necessarily disagree with everything he says - there is more to life than spreadsheets when it comes to race day - but I tend to think he could do more to make his pro's more skilled at sorting out their own mechanicals. Remember Chrissie at the side of the road trying to fix a flat in Kona? That was simply poor prep in my opinion.

I heard she made that change on her own with her coaches approval.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Brett Sutton On Disc Wheels [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just going to start doing brick workouts with my disc. Can't trust anyone anymore with adivce; just have to try it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton On Disc Wheels [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

I call BS on changing a flat. My Jet disc is no different than regular Jet and a disc doesn't need a valve extender.
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton On Disc Wheels [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
lightheir wrote:

I call BS on changing a flat. My Jet disc is no different than regular Jet and a disc doesn't need a valve extender.

I think the only time that changing a flat on a disc could potentially be more difficult is if you are using tubular, and your spare isn't properly stretched. With normal/deep rims, you can put your toes over the rim and yank the tire up onto hit. With a disk, pretty much have to push with thumbs.
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton On Disc Wheels [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry I only got as far as this:

I’ll respond to the question on tyres first as this is the least complicated. My opinion is that for Iron distance racing the choice between tubulars or clinchers shouldn’t be based on which one is faster.
Instead it should be on:
1. Which one you can change with confidence.
2. Which one you can ride with confidence after you have changed it.

I didn't read anymore. The guys a fucking tool.

And please correct me if I'm wrong, but is this whole "using discs in wind = dangerous" some urban myth? I've never had any issues with my Renn or Zipp 900 and I've had it out in 30kts plus crosswinds. My 808 front, on the other hand gets moved around plenty...
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton On Disc Wheels [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:

And please correct me if I'm wrong, but is this whole "using discs in wind = dangerous" some urban myth? I

I wouldn't call it an urban myth. I'd call it incorrect intuition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My thoughts on disc wheels and any aero wheels is that if your gut overhangs your shorts you should think about losing that before buying anything aero or lighter

Andrew Garwood
http://www.2xu.com
http://www.newtonrunning.com
http://www.ascendsport.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton On Disc Wheels [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems to be an incorrect intuition that is part of the rules of the sport though. I got stopped from racing a local half-distance race at the weekend due to having a disc in moderately breezy conditions, but 808s etc seemed to be absolutely fine. I was trying to explain the lack of logic to the race director with little success, who was just saying it's in the rules and he can do it if he wants....
Quote Reply
Re: Brett Sutton On Disc Wheels [ni31mo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, never understood anything about not using disc wheels.
Anybody that has ridden them knows that it is simply not an issue in windy times.

Front wheels like an 808 on the other hand can scare the pants off me.
Quote Reply

Prev Next