Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Breathing in hot humid conditions (maybe asthma?)
Quote | Reply
This summer I feel like I'm having trouble breathing when it's hot and humid, typical run for example 90-95 with 65% humidity and dew point around 72.

I feel a tightness or heaviness in my upper chest and just can't get a full breath, even when I slow to drop HR it doesn't go away.
I just keep going thinking it's normal for everyone, then asked a training buddy and he said he doesn't have the constricted feeling.

I am fitter and running faster than previous summers so maybe that's the difference.
Is this common among people who train in these conditions?
Last edited by: Rover24: Jul 5, 15 14:26
Quote Reply
Re: Breathing in hot humid conditions (maybe asthma?) [Rover24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't think this is normal. I'd make an appointment to see your doctor to be honest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rover24 wrote:
This summer I feel like I'm having trouble breathing when it's hot and humid, typical run for example 90-95 with 65% humidity and dew point around 72.

I feel a tightness or heaviness in my upper chest and just can't get a full breath, even when I slow to drop HR it doesn't go away.
I just keep going thinking it's normal for everyone, then asked a training buddy and he said he doesn't have the constricted feeling.

I am fitter and running faster than previous summers so maybe that's the difference.
Is this common among people who train in these conditions?

I have asthma and find it's much more difficult to breathe in hot humid weather. Fortunately not often a problem for me here in California.

Probably worth checking out. Does it go away once you're done running, or do you feel it for the rest of the day?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not normal, it should be harder, but not to the point in which you describe. (65% isn't that humid, not being a hero, just saying)
Quote Reply
Re: Breathing in hot humid conditions (maybe asthma?) [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Erin C. wrote:
Does it go away once you're done running, or do you feel it for the rest of the day?

The feeling of shortness of breath can last a little time after and at random times when not exercising, the tightness in my chest goes away shortly after I stop running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Certainly sounds like asthma symptoms. I developed exercise induced asthma a couple of years ago in my late 30's after racing tris for over 20 years, don't know what triggered it. I find now I get shortness of breath after my sessions finish and linger afterwards, also getting random shortness of breath during the day sometimes. I would get a doc's opinion, most likely if they think it's asthma will prescribe an inhaler and take it from there.
Quote Reply