Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set
Quote | Reply
Ironman 70.3 National Harbor

The 1st Annual Ironman 70.3 National Harbor will take place on Sunday, August 5, 2012 with an anticipated 3,000 registered participants making this race one of the largest 70.3s events in the world. The race is located at the beautiful National Harbor in the Metropolitan Washington DC Area, home to the largest concentration of USAT regional triathletes in the country. With three major international airports close by, plenty of hotel space and a great course design, this 70.3 is destined to become one of the greatest on the Ironman calendar

I don't know the route, but I've ridden that area. It's rolling hills and narrow roads in many areas. The roads out there are not draft friendly, but with 3,000 participants it probably will be.


__________________________________________________________________________
My marathon PR is "under three, high twos. I had a two hour and fifty-something."
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DC in August eh, wonder if that will be a tad warm?
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can't be worse than Eagleman. At least there will be shades. There are paths and parks around there. There is a potential for lots of shades on the run. The bike route will be a lot more shady than Eagleman.


__________________________________________________________________________
My marathon PR is "under three, high twos. I had a two hour and fifty-something."
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just thinking that.
Holy humidity.
Not sure about Potomac temps at that time of year either - non-wetsuit swim?
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zoom wrote:
can't be worse than Eagleman. At least there will be shades. There are paths and parks around there. There is a potential for lots of shades on the run. The bike route will be a lot more shady than Eagleman.

August in DC can't be worse than Maryland in June?

----------------------------------
"i disagree with your analysis [or judgment], nevertheless you have the responsibility of moderating this board so i honor your authority to make the moderating decisions."
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good only 3000 people I was worried people wouldn't have anyone to race against.

-----------------------------------------------------------
De Soto Sport Athlete
Formerly Draketriathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in MD, work in DC, train in the summer in both places ... been living in the area for about 30 years. Maybe I'm jaded and have lost all feelings :)

I can't imagine an exposed course like Eagleman in June is worse than this new race in August. Either way, if it is or isn't, I doubt that the difference is noticeable since both places are as hot and humid as hell. Can you tell the difference between 90 degrees hot and humid vs 95 degrees hot and humid? I know I can't. Maybe the new race will be better since there are more shades for both the bike and run.


__________________________________________________________________________
My marathon PR is "under three, high twos. I had a two hour and fifty-something."
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zoom wrote:
Ironman 70.3 National Harbor

The 1st Annual Ironman 70.3 National Harbor will take place on Sunday, August 5, 2012 with an anticipated 3,000 registered participants making this race one of the largest 70.3s events in the world. The race is located at the beautiful National Harbor in the Metropolitan Washington DC Area, home to the largest concentration of USAT regional triathletes in the country. With three major international airports close by, plenty of hotel space and a great course design, this 70.3 is destined to become one of the greatest on the Ironman calendar

I don't know the route, but I've ridden that area. It's rolling hills and narrow roads in many areas. The roads out there are not draft friendly, but with 3,000 participants it probably will be.

Just noticed this thread. The race is still not on the Ironman web site, so would be interested in seeing what other confirmation we have for this.

National Harbor is not in DC, it's just south of the city on the Potomac river, perhaps five miles downstream from the area where Nations and DC Triathlon are currently held. I guess it sounded more romantic than Ironman 70.3 Suburban Maryland, but that's what you got here.

This will be an interesting test of the Ironman brand. We now have plenty of 70.3 distance races in the area to choose from over the course of the year. We have everything from Eagleman, Kinetic, Set Up started a new one last October, Half-Full in Columbia, Md, and god bless Savageman out west in Deep Creek. Plenty more if you are willing to drive a couple more hours.

Depending on what rules they use, this will almost certainly not be wetsuit legal that time of year here. Interesting to see how many people will pay premium entry fees for this type of race.
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [ElGordo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If that's the date, it's perfect for my training plan for IMMT and being local all the better. Depending on the wave you start in, you could get wet with an afternoon thundershower that time of year as well.

But there's still nothing on the ironman.com site...and I wonder if it's a first day sellout?

--------------------------------------------
Youtube Channel: Doritos Discussion
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it can be a lot worse than Eagleman. At least in Cambridge you get a good stiff breeze, a bike course free of traffic and relatively clean water.

DC in August is the pits. And you couldn't pay me enough to swim in the Potomac River just downstream of a large metro area. After a rain storm (which happens just about every afternoon in August). After the sewers have overflowed (because the DC system is outdated and over capacity). Yuck.

But that's just me. Won't swim in the Hudson around Manhattan either.
Last edited by: Tri3: Nov 11, 11 6:50
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3000, fill up in 14 minutes, or less
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First impression: sounds like it could be a neat race.
After looking at the date: no way in hell. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [GMAN 19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ran at Georgetown, currently live in Florida and train in our heat and humidity.

Sounds like the perfect suffer-fest homecoming!

just don't charge $350, and I'm in!
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [nhoya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nhoya wrote:
Ran at Georgetown, currently live in Florida and train in our heat and humidity.

Sounds like the perfect suffer-fest homecoming!

just don't charge $350, and I'm in!

I live in Houston so it would actually be cooler in DC but I still don't need to put myself through any undue suffering.
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
National Harbor and the surrounding area would be a great venue for a 70.3. Plus, it's really close to home. So any idea if it's going to happen or not? There's nothing mentioned about it on the Ironman site--or anywhere else outside of this forum, for that matter.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by godekjames [ In reply to ]
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
masterslacker wrote:
If that's the date, it's perfect for my training plan for IMMT and being local all the better. Depending on the wave you start in, you could get wet with an afternoon thundershower that time of year as well.

But there's still nothing on the ironman.com site...and I wonder if it's a first day sellout?

You plan on a 70.3 2 weeks before IMMT, what training plan are you using?
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"perhaps five miles downstream from the area where Nations and DC Triathlon ..."

Could impact water quality :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [Slowjim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there an acutal date set?


All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

http://teamredwhiteandblue.org/
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [godekjames] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
godekjames wrote:
masterslacker wrote:
If that's the date, it's perfect for my training plan for IMMT and being local all the better. Depending on the wave you start in, you could get wet with an afternoon thundershower that time of year as well.

But there's still nothing on the ironman.com site...and I wonder if it's a first day sellout?


You plan on a 70.3 2 weeks before IMMT, what training plan are you using?

x2?
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [kenb321] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last hard tempo workout prior to the 2 week taper...I probably wouldn't go all out during the run but just tempo it so the legs wouldn't be totally wrecked pounding wise. A 1.2 mile swim and 56 mile bike is a piece of cake by that time in the training plan, IMHO.

Perhaps I'm dumb but it's what I've done before via training which is always a little slower due to not having real transitions...

Anyways, I still haven't seen any real information on the race so it's still just a rumor I guess...

--------------------------------------------
Youtube Channel: Doritos Discussion
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
zoom wrote:
can't be worse than Eagleman. At least there will be shades. There are paths and parks around there. There is a potential for lots of shades on the run. The bike route will be a lot more shady than Eagleman.


August in DC can't be worse than Maryland in June?

I agree. Some years the second weekend in June can be quite pleasant but often (especially in recent years) it can be quite warm and muggy. What makes this so difficult is that its often the first serious heat/humidity of the season meaning athletes have not yet acclimatized...hello medical tents!

At least in August everyone has fully acclimatized.
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess as long as you breath through your nose on the entire swim you'll be okay.



Drinking beer since 1969
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
masterslacker wrote:
Last hard tempo workout prior to the 2 week taper...I probably wouldn't go all out during the run but just tempo it so the legs wouldn't be totally wrecked pounding wise. A 1.2 mile swim and 56 mile bike is a piece of cake by that time in the training plan, IMHO.

Perhaps I'm dumb but it's what I've done before via training which is always a little slower due to not having real transitions...

Anyways, I still haven't seen any real information on the race so it's still just a rumor I guess...

My best Ironmans happened with a half IM 2 weeks out. I just ease into the run and dial back the final 7K. Plus ice quads with big ice packs from the 7-11 on the drive home (make a mess in the car, but recovery is much better). It also helps to be 136-140 lbs for the run vs being 180-200 (I just picked that range). LIghter guys recover a bit quicker in general from the harder runs.


cervelo.com (P3) |infinitnutrition.ca | bushtukah.com
Whiteface Hill Climb + Epicman Lake Placid 3k/180k/21k June 9/10 2016, Epicman Tremblant 10k/260k/42.2k 15/16/17 July 2016
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
National Harbor is just a mile or two downstream of the Blue Plains waste water treatment plant - 300 million gallons of wastewater treated daily. It's a reasonably advanced plant but its been plenty overburdened for years, particularly when it rains. Water temp in August on the Potomac will be mid-80's. For the spectators the bass fishing can be quite good.
Quote Reply

Prev Next