Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
masterslacker wrote:
Last hard tempo workout prior to the 2 week taper...I probably wouldn't go all out during the run but just tempo it so the legs wouldn't be totally wrecked pounding wise. A 1.2 mile swim and 56 mile bike is a piece of cake by that time in the training plan, IMHO.

Perhaps I'm dumb but it's what I've done before via training which is always a little slower due to not having real transitions...

Anyways, I still haven't seen any real information on the race so it's still just a rumor I guess...

This seems to be a really expensive tempo workout. But to each their own.
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
Is there an acutal date set?

I heard it directly from the RD's mouth yesterday. It will be 8/5/2012. The race will be cap at 3,500 participant. You should see/hear about it officially soon.

The only thing about this venue that might rub people the wrong way is that they may make participants or those who come to volunteer/watch pay for parking if folks are planning to drive there. On the flip side, there is a hotel right at the start so your walking time to the start/finish is about 5 minutes. If you are bringing the family, they can chill in the hotel while you are out biking or running. Also, lots of restaurants on the premises.

Quote | Reply
They couldn't have picked a better time to announce this...

It's like a bit like a grocery store telling you they've got sirloin on sale right after news of a mad cow disease epidemic breaks, isn't it?

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, officially they haven't announced anything to the mass public. You won't find it on the Ironman's web page or any literature. They just told a small group of this past weekend. Also, with respect to the RAM/Chocolate run fiasco, I don't think that there is any good time to announce it ... but they have to announce it sometime since people are starting to plan for their 2012 season soon. It's not like they can wait until the spring to announce it and still give people enough time to put it on their race calendar.

Quote | Reply
Fair enough. I just think it's funny that I seem to be the only one that made the connection. Still, I have to believe that the official press release won't come out for at least another week or two. What's 1 or 2 weeks gonna do to registration numbers? I would think not very much...

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With all the bad reports coming out lately on the water quality of the Potomac, I've decided not to do any DC triathlons in 2012, its just not worth it.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/...ality-rated-as-poor/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The race will be cap at 3,500 participant"

cool a small field, i don't like crowded course
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZackC. wrote:
They couldn't have picked a better time to announce this...

It's like a bit like a grocery store telling you they've got sirloin on sale right after news of a mad cow disease epidemic breaks, isn't it?

LOL, yeah, I'm thinking that they fly under the radar for a few more weeks before they announce this venue. I'm not sold on the race at all. Where's the bike going to be, all through PG county? Sure hope you wear your bullet proof vest!!
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [kenb321] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I was thinking. Sure, it could be a good final workout 2-3 weeks out but you'll definitely need to make adjustments, especially on the run, from "racing" and that just isn't worth the $$$ to show up and throttle back IMO.

kenb321 wrote:
This seems to be a really expensive tempo workout. But to each their own.
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [Giant Steps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Giant Steps wrote:
I guess as long as you breathe through your nose on the entire swim you'll be okay.

Can't be any worse than the Schuylkill, can it???

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Registration will open on January 16

http://www.facebook.com/...ronmanNationalHarbor

Quote | Reply
That's an interesting article. Everything I read before the DC Tri last year said the water quality was getting better. I did 4 swims last year in the Potomac, 3 at National Harbor. There were "Happy Hour Swims" every Thursday in National Harbor and no one seemed to have any problems. I'm curious as to how they'll be doing the swim start.

The water temp will probably be in the 80s, I doubt you'll be able to wear a wetsuit.

Quote | Reply
Still nothing on ironman.com on this race? What's the plan? If registration opens on the 16th will there be a link on the official ironman.com pages?
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Facebook page says that the website goes live on Jan. 16 as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [elecengrman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will there be Thursday swims again this year? Sounds like fun, got any more info?
Quote Reply
Re: Breaking News: Ironman 70.3 National Harbor date set [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt, National Harbor Happy Hour Swims will be on Thursday for the 2012 Season. Registration and info can be found here. http://www.feelthewater.com/index.html
Quote Reply

Prev Next