Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Branson 70.3 Wave Start
Quote | Reply
Can someone explain to me the rationale behind the structure of the wave start at Branson?

Wave No# Time Division Color of cap
1 7:00 Pro M Silver
2 7:03 Pro W Silver
3 7:08 Men 55+ and Women 45 + White
4 7:15 Women 35-44 Green
5 7:20 Women 18-34 Lt. Pink
6 7:25 Men 45-54 Royal Blue
7 7:30 Men 40-44 Orange
8 7:35 Men 35-39 Yellow
9 7:40 Men 30-34 Purple
10 7:45 Men 18-29 Red
11 7:50 Relays Lt. Blue

Why force the potentially faster athletes to go last and fight their way through the field? I'm obviously biased since at my last race, Racine 70.3, the 25-29 AG went right after the pros and I had a clean swim and ride all the way in with almost no one around me. Just seems to me like the potential for drafting, congestion and even wecks goes up with the format.

Quote Reply
Re: Branson 70.3 Wave Start [sniper100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is the same basic structure used for Kansas 70.3 earlier in the year.

I think it has something to do with length of the race and road closings. If you did try and seed the wave starts by sending the fastest people first and the slowest last you are going to have a much "longer" race and have to keep roads closed later into the day, which is probably a big pain for the RD and the local community.

Both the RD's post here regularly, so maybe they will chime in as well

Tim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think faster waves at the end make life easier on race directors. the sooner you can get slower people started, the sooner they can reopen closed roads, etc. I'm 25-29, so i've been one of the last waves at most races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
doesnt make much sense to me.

curious, where was this posted?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Can someone explain to me the rationale behind the structure of the wave start at Branson?

Wave No# Time Division Color of cap
1 7:00 Pro M Silver
2 7:03 Pro W Silver
3 7:08 Men 55+ and Women 45 + White
4 7:15 Women 35-44 Green
5 7:20 Women 18-34 Lt. Pink
6 7:25 Men 45-54 Royal Blue
7 7:30 Men 40-44 Orange
8 7:35 Men 35-39 Yellow
9 7:40 Men 30-34 Purple
10 7:45 Men 18-29 Red
11 7:50 Relays Lt. Blue

Why force the potentially faster athletes to go last and fight their way through the field? I'm obviously biased since at my last race, Racine 70.3, the 25-29 AG went right after the pros and I had a clean swim and ride all the way in with almost no one around me. Just seems to me like the potential for drafting, congestion and even wecks goes up with the format.

That is exactly how you set up people swimming over people, draft fest left and right on the bike. Yeah, he will chime in here in a second with rationalization for it, bottom line they don't feel like spending a whole day on the race course, so let's make it dreadful for FOP athletes in bigger age groups.
Quote Reply
Re: Branson 70.3 Wave Start [sparshall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm signed up for the race so I got an email with it. Its frustrating cause I was hoping for at least one lap with a clean course. Hopefully the hills will break up any draft packs but from what I remember some of the descents have some turns that are going to be harder to attack with a crowded course.

Quote Reply
Re: Branson 70.3 Wave Start [RockChalk1406] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tim's got it right. Having been involved in race directing in Southern California since 1986, I can say that securing road closure permits is one of the biggest challenges RD's face. Another unpleasantry is having to DNF a fully-able competitor when the permitted closures expire.

Starting the older/slower racers right after the pro/elite has been the best solution to these two issues. "Fighting your way through" is typically only a concern on the bike. Viewed as an opportunity to legally draft up through a paceline, it can be a benefit (in not exhilerating) to younger/faster racers on all but the narrowest of courses.

Cheers,
Tom Piszkin
UCSD Masters Triathlon Coach
TitanFlex inventor
Quote Reply
Re: Branson 70.3 Wave Start [TitanFlex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The roads at Branson are awesome. I am even going to say the best course in the country in terms of space available and quality of surface. But 70.3 Kansas was not and it was a disaster for drafting due to bunching up and people having nowhere to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Branson 70.3 Wave Start [TitanFlex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If that is your train of thought, then why not send the Pro's off last???
Quote Reply
Re: Branson 70.3 Wave Start [atasic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The roads at Branson are awesome. I am even going to say the best course in the country in terms of space available and quality of surface. But 70.3 Kansas was not and it was a disaster for drafting due to bunching up and people having nowhere to go.

That's reassuring. I typically don't mind having a constant wall on my right side to block the wind from that direction, as long as there is enough room for safety.

-Bryan Journey
Travel Blog | Training Blog | Facebook Page
Quote Reply
Re: Branson 70.3 Wave Start [cam2win] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sending the Pro's off first is tradition. The spectacle of their start is valued by most other participants and their "support staff/families". In this sense, it's great theater. Pulling a full-price participant off the course for no reason other than they're too slow is not good theater. (Think of a triathlon as a theatric performance with many moving pieces. Both require directors.)

As a "consumer" of triathlons you can chose not to participate in races that use this wave start format. My guess is that more older triathletes have joined in than younger ones have dropped out because of it.

As long as a event sells out, the Race Director isn't likely to make changes.

Another option is to direct your own race, then you can make up the rules, and bear the risks--financial and otherwise!

Cheers,
Tom Piszkin
UCSD Masters Triathlon Coach
TitanFlex inventor
Quote Reply
Re: Branson 70.3 Wave Start [atasic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"That is exactly how you set up people swimming over people, draft fest left and right on the bike. Yeah, he will chime in here in a second with rationalization for it, bottom line they don't feel like spending a whole day on the race course, so let's make it dreadful for FOP athletes in bigger age groups.[/reply] "

Sometimes I just have to laugh at some of the stuff that is posted here...
Yes, you are correct...we don't feel like spending a whole day on the race course...we all have show tickets to the Baldknobbers that we don't want to miss! By moving the wave starts around we have significantly (20 minutes) cut our 18 hour day down to a 17:40 day...oh joy! Sorry for the sarcasm.
Actually it doesn't cut the day any...we have to be off the high road at 1:00pm whether you are 18 or 80.

Titanflex summed up the reasons for the wave start...this isn't a new format in triathlon...been around for years...while some do it different in some areas due to logistics.
Some of you FOP 20/30 year olds may feel different about the waves when you are 50/60 BOP athletes and are worried about cutoff times.

There is plenty of room on the roads to have a clean ride. Anyone drafting on the Branson course is choosing to do so.
Last edited by: sherpasports: Sep 9, 10 15:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The faster you are the more you get screwed. Quite simple. The fastest age groups have to swim over a thousand of people, making the slower swimmers lives miserable as well as the faster ones.
Quote Reply