Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Brand Options for crank arms shorter than 165mm
Quote | Reply
Have been searching for options of shorter cranksets, but noticed there are limited options available.

Have seen Cobb is one of them, appreciate any input and recommendations of other options in the market for shorter crank arm lenghts (below 165mm).

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Brand Options for crank arms shorter than 165mm [pabloarc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IIRC Rotor makes some very nice cranks in lengths as short as 150mm. I'm riding a Power2max built up on a set of Rotor 3Ds right now.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Brand Options for crank arms shorter than 165mm [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! noticed they have several crank lenght options, would you know if I buy only the crank arm is there option for me to use it with my current chain ring (Sram red) so I don't have to buy that as well, or Rotor crank arms are only compatible with Rotor chainrings?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pabloarc wrote:
Thanks! noticed they have several crank lenght options, would you know if I buy only the crank arm is there option for me to use it with my current chain ring (Sram red) so I don't have to buy that as well, or Rotor crank arms are only compatible with Rotor chainrings?

My 3Ds run conventional 5 bolt rings. I believe that's also true with their other cranks as well.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of the Cobb cranks, have been using them for around two years now. They've been solid, can't really complain other than the (supplied) bottom bracket seemed to be the only one that would work.

Rotor's look nice(r) and are well made, but be prepared for it to make some noise ;) (unless the current ones are a little quieter, everyone I know with one is constantly chasing phantom sounds)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have purchased multiple custom cranks from here.

http://www.hscycle.com/.../customcrankset.html

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pabloarc wrote:
Have been searching for options of shorter cranksets, but noticed there are limited options available.

Have seen Cobb is one of them, appreciate any input and recommendations of other options in the market for shorter crank arm lenghts (below 165mm).

Thanks in advance!

Here is another recommendation for Cobb Cranks. If you are looking to save some dollars check my signature here to save a few.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Brand Options for crank arms shorter than 165mm [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

There's a huge cost difference, Cobb $300 including chainring and bottom bracket vs Rotor 3D + $ 600 without chainring and bottom bracket.

Does anyone know if there's actually a performance benefit for Rotor over Cobb?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
weight
compatibility with power meters like p2max and srm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cobb without a doubt.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Brand Options for crank arms shorter than 165mm [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Brand Options for crank arms shorter than 165mm [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for all the feedback provided!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can recommend mike burrows in the uk for shortening cranks. I have two pairs from him. Bikfix in London forwarded them. One pair of old ultegra octalink and an SRM set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BikeSmith is the cheapest option out there. He does a great job of shortening cranks. Has a stock of SRAM Aprex that he can shorten to just about any length you want. I got a set of 150mm from him and am very happy with it.
http://bikesmithdesign.com/

Just saw you are already running SRAM, so you could easily make the switch.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Last edited by: Tri3: May 7, 16 15:42
Quote Reply
Re: Brand Options for crank arms shorter than 165mm [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
BikeSmith is the cheapest option out there. He does a great job of shortening cranks. Has a stock of SRAM Aprex that he can shorten to just about any length you want. I got a set of 150mm from him and am very happy with it.
http://bikesmithdesign.com/

Just saw you are already running SRAM, so you could easily make the switch.

Agreed, I have two he has done for me. I dropped one off at his house while visiting family in MN and very nice guy. He left it done and my s-i-l picked it up. Great way to try shorter on a budget.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here's another option i haven't seen posted yet:

http://www.jrbicycles.com/redline-microline-2-piece-crank-set

"...I try not to ever ride as slow as 20mph. ;) ... And even more than that, I don't race with a speedometer. My computer is set up to show Power // Cadence // Time. I don't actually ever know how fast I'm going. I only know that if I'm in 53/11, and it takes more than 100rpm to hit my target watts, it's time to coast." - Jordan Rapp on '09 IMC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pabloarc wrote:

Thanks in advance!

I put on some 140 mm BMX cranks (Bulletproof was the brand) a long time ago as an experiment:

http://biketechreview.com/...0387-i-want-to#10838

I'm not sure that brand is around anymore, but you might check out BMX cranks in general.

=================
Kraig Willett
http://www.biketechreview.com - check out our reduced report pricing
=================
Quote Reply