Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Brand New Bike vs 2nd Hand
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at getting a new road bike.

The ones I'm looking at I can buy brand new from a retail store for around $3500 or so. Full carbon with ultegra gearing, etc as I'm looking to upgrade from aluminium and 105.

However, I can get the equivalent (last years models) 2nd hand online for $1500-2000. Most of these have been hardly used by the current owners and are in great condition.

I figure the only benefit of buying direct from a retail store is that they would do a bike fitting service in store. However, I can go to an independent bike fitter for $150 or so and get a more extensive bike fit (as long as I purchased the correct frame size to begin with) and save myself $1500-2000.

What are your thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Brand New Bike vs 2nd Hand [kiwi nz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Find a bike fitter with a fit bike* and you don't have to buy a bike first.
Getting it right first time will save you a lot of money

*there are only a couple of us in NZ though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much, but do keep in mind a lot of times 2nd hand bikes will not carry warranty if the frame cracks. Although with the discount, you could buy two and probably come out ahead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw an independent fitter in NZ, then knew what second hand bikes would fit me, asked the fitter about a couple that came up on Trademe, and then bought one that would fit, saving myself, as you've said, about half what the bike would have cost brand new. No brainer if you ask me.
Quote Reply
Re: Brand New Bike vs 2nd Hand [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmt wrote:
I saw an independent fitter in NZ, then knew what second hand bikes would fit me, asked the fitter about a couple that came up on Trademe, and then bought one that would fit, saving myself, as you've said, about half what the bike would have cost brand new. No brainer if you ask me.

What was the fitters name? Have a website?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say give the used bike a test and thorough inspection, if it is in good shape buy it.

kiwi nz wrote:
I'm looking at getting a new road bike.

The ones I'm looking at I can buy brand new from a retail store for around $3500 or so. Full carbon with ultegra gearing, etc as I'm looking to upgrade from aluminium and 105.

However, I can get the equivalent (last years models) 2nd hand online for $1500-2000. Most of these have been hardly used by the current owners and are in great condition.

I figure the only benefit of buying direct from a retail store is that they would do a bike fitting service in store. However, I can go to an independent bike fitter for $150 or so and get a more extensive bike fit (as long as I purchased the correct frame size to begin with) and save myself $1500-2000.

What are your thoughts?

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SpeedTheory.co.nz
Based in Cambridge.
Quote Reply