Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Boyd Wheels...the new class killer??
Quote | Reply
So, I ran across this drag chart for Boyd on their website:

And found this published on Zipp's website:

To me, this looks like that the 808 has a few grams less drag at <5 degrees, and then the 90 mm Boyd has progressively less drag as yaw increases. And the Boyd has negative drag after 12.5 degrees!?

Of course, Boyd is American made, etc. No Chinese carbon, that I'm aware of. (Edit: Boyd rims are sourced in Taiwan. However, they are assembled in South Carolina. And Boyd has been making wheels for years. I'm not aware of product problem.) A set of 90 mm Boyds is $1500. About half of the MSRP for a set of 808s ($2975).

Didn't bring up the ENVE 8.9 (which is more than the Zipps, I think) because I couldn't find a drag chart that used grams of drag as a metric. Presumably, they'd be comparable to the 808 performance based on information on the ENVE website.

Btw, I get that there are scientific problems not having these in the same test w/ the same controls, etc. I believe it's reasonable to deduce, though, that their performance is comparable.

So, back to the original question. Why pay double for Zipps or ENVEs?

-Stephen in Arkansas
Last edited by: razorbacksteve: Jul 30, 14 13:24
Quote Reply
Re: Boyd Wheels...the new class killer?? [razorbacksteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you ever seen an aero chart that *doesn't* show the particular product being promoted as being the best?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Run PR's: 18:05 - 36:58 - 1:22:59 - 3:07

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boyd rims are made in Taiwan (see their website). Few companies source their CF rims stateside.
Quote Reply
Re: Boyd Wheels...the new class killer?? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Boyd rims are made in Taiwan (see their website). Few companies source their CF rims stateside.
DOH!

-Stephen in Arkansas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
razorbacksteve wrote:

Name and being an idiot.

FYI -- I rock Boyd 60s and am upgrading to their newer model.
Quote Reply
Re: Boyd Wheels...the new class killer?? [umcade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
umcade wrote:
Have you ever seen an aero chart that *doesn't* show the particular product being promoted as being the best?

I know what you're saying. You'll never see Zipp or ENVE or HED do a cost vs grams drag saved compared to FLO, for example. That would be bad marketing.
But, is Boyd a legitimate player in the "super wheels." And are they doing it at half the price?

-Stephen in Arkansas
Last edited by: razorbacksteve: Jul 30, 14 13:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes.

umcade wrote:

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Boyd Wheels...the new class killer?? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude. That place is the bomb.
jackmott wrote:
over on that aeroweenie.com website they have the zipp 303 that was run in the same test =)

http://aeroweenie.com/...ckup/boyd/index.html

-Stephen in Arkansas
Quote Reply
Re: Boyd Wheels...the new class killer?? [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look at that. With the money you are spending on 2 sets of Boyds, you could have had a pair Zipps!

Not sure if this is pink or not...

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Boyd Wheels...the new class killer?? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
Look at that. With the money you are spending on 2 sets of Boyds, you could have had a pair Zipps!

Not sure if this is pink or not...

It's definitely not pink in my case. A) Selling my used and getting a large amount back B) Newer wheels are much much better than old ones (wider and, most important, better braking)

If I keep both sets, yes, pink!
Last edited by: BrentwoodTriGuy: Jul 30, 14 14:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Boyd Wheels...the new class killer?? [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently saw a pair of those at a road race and they looked nice but Boyd has them beat in the eyeball test. At least they are one company that does not always have their product as being the fastest.
Last edited by: -Mike-: Jul 30, 14 16:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been riding the new 90s for about a month or so now and I have owned zipps as well. My opinion is that the new 90s are amazing wheels, I absolutely love them. If it matters to you to support a smaller company with a great product that's a plus as well. I think you would be hard pressed to find any data that says the added cost is worth it and IMO unless you are winning/losing races or your age group by the respective argued time savings then you might as well save the coin and invest it else where or use it to race more. Love my Boyd wheels I will continue to support them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
umcade wrote:

Felt has also shown in their white papers that there are other bikes that do better in certain yaw ranges.
Quote Reply
Re: Boyd Wheels...the new class killer?? [-Mike-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-Mike- wrote:
I recently saw a pair of those at a road race and they looked nice but Boyd has them beat in the eyeball test. At least they are one company that does not always have their product as being the fastest.

How so? Mine get compliments all the time. No one has heard of them, though.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Boyd Wheels...the new class killer?? [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
razorbacksteve wrote:

Name and being an idiot.

Because I believe supporting US manufacturers that stand behind their product with 5 year warranty rather then a company that sources their wheels from Taiwan.

PS: tell me how your rim does hitting a pothole at 40mph on a descent. My ENVEs held up fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Boyd Wheels...the new class killer?? [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
PS: tell me how your rim does hitting a pothole at 40mph on a descent. My ENVEs held up fine.

well you know unless we find the same pothole and hit it at the same speed with the same tire and pressures you used we will never know the answer to that question.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a set of Boyd 44mm Carbon Clinchers that I've been running on my new FOIL ... I like the a lot!

They are as light as a set of 303's, nearly as aero at all yaw angles, can be built up 24/28 for a stronger build and don't have any issues with heat build up even on steep/twisty descents and I'm around 180 pounds.

For the price, they are pretty awesome and all reviews point to awesome customer support.
Quote Reply
Re: Boyd Wheels...the new class killer?? [Wookiebiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am very pleased with my Boyd's and the cuts service has been very good both pre and post purchase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why pay double for Zipps or ENVEs?

Why pay for Boyd when you can get Chinese carbon for less than half? Or Flo for a lot less?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
razorbacksteve wrote:

Name and being an idiot.

Because I believe supporting US manufacturers that stand behind their product with 5 year warranty rather then a company that sources their wheels from Taiwan.

So you buy everything that is only 100% manufactured in USofA? That must get pretty difficult looking through the BOM of every product you buy to ensure that everything is US based.

Boyd owns the design of their wheels, these aren't open mold and they do have a warranty. The hubs and assembly are US based. All their wheels are assembled and built in Greenville SC. A larger percentage of the racers around me use Boyd wheels and I've never heard of their wheels failing from hitting something on a descent or any type of pothole.
Last edited by: Clempson: Jul 30, 14 19:16
Quote Reply
Re: Boyd Wheels...the new class killer?? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

Why pay for Boyd when you can get Chinese carbon for less than half? Or Flo for a lot less?

With regards to Flo, that's a good point. It's an aluminum clincher rim, which makes a lot of sense for virtually all applications. I have a set of Flo 30s and love them. But, those buying Zipp and ENVE don't want an aluminum rim. They want all carbon. Boyd are all carbon. (I think 90% of the reason for that is the look of an all black rim, but that's just speculation.)

With regards to Chinese carbon, I would have concern with quality control issues. They don't have to live under the same *threat* of lawsuit, etc., that requires a responsibility on their part to produce a good product. And there's no substantiated aero testing I'm aware of. They're just popping out an open mold, right? So, I wouldn't want Chinese carbon for fear of my safety (fairly or unfairly). I wouldn't harbor that fear w/ Boyd.

-Stephen in Arkansas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
razorbacksteve wrote:

Name and being an idiot.

Let's not forget, the overwhelming majority of our carbon bikes (except for the highest end) from major manufacturers are sourced from Asia. If quality is controlled, it doesn't matter if they're made on the moon.

-Stephen in Arkansas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
razorbacksteve wrote:
rruff wrote:

With regards to Flo, that's a good point. It's an aluminum clincher rim, which makes a lot of sense for virtually all applications. I have a set of Flo 30s and love them. But, those buying Zipp and ENVE don't want an aluminum rim. They want all carbon. Boyd are all carbon. (I think 90% of the reason for that is the look of an all black rim, but that's just speculation.)

With regards to Chinese carbon, I would have concern with quality control issues. They don't have to live under the same *threat* of lawsuit, etc., that requires a responsibility on their part to produce a good product. And there's no substantiated aero testing I'm aware of. They're just popping out an open mold, right? So, I wouldn't want Chinese carbon for fear of my safety (fairly or unfairly). I wouldn't harbor that fear w/ Boyd.

You've not had a close enough look at the wheels coming from China/Taiwan. They've nailed the new fairing shape. And I can personally vouch for the strength/quality as I hit a pothole on my set so hard that my entire, properly torqued, drop bars rotated completely forward. The wheels didn't even go out of true. Quality stuff. And for $450 to my door.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply

Prev Next