Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Boulder 70.3 Questions
Quote | Reply
I am signed up for the 70.3 set for August. A few questions after reading through the results for men 30-34 and men 35-39, respectively.

1. Bike course is really, really fast, looks to only be 1800 ft of total climbing, but with a lot of descending. I also assume the thin air aids the bike times. Does this course feel as fast as the times look?

2. Run times look a bit slower than what you would normally see. I assume this is when the altitude is biting back at folks. Was it really hot last year? How does the 2016/2017 run course compare to 2015? I was a spectator in 2015 and it was hot, dusty, and crowded out on the run.

Thanks all.
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 Questions [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will address the 2016 run time question. You can't overestimate the draining affect of the sun at mid-day at altitude on a run course that is almost completely exposed. In 2016, the 70.3 was moved from August to early June and we were hoping for a break from the August heat, but it wasn't to be. After a very cold spring, race day turned out to be the first scorcher of the year, so anyone that was local was not acclimated to temperatures in the upper 80s/low 90s. It was full sun beating down until around 2:00 p.m. when it clouded up and dropped 10 degrees (but most people had finished by then.) Many people melted on the run. I have never seen so many walkers in a 70.3.

From memory, I think the only change to the 2016 course was heading out of the Rez boundary to a section that had a small amount of shade, and a couple ridiculous trudges through the grass. Times shouldn't be effected too much from those changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 Questions [sbrrepeat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the water temperature like for the swim?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced in m35-39 in 2016. Bike course is quick but also 2 miles short. I rode 2:13 which on a legit distance is probably more like 2:18.

On the run it was 93 degrees direct high-altitude sun. Super debilitating! Lots of melt-downs. Gotta start slow and stay steady.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 Questions [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi

I will be there next week. Just curious is the swim normally wetsuits?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 Questions [IronMike68] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Usually... But not always. Depends on how recently they let more water into the res.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 Questions [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are a little over a week away? Who all is racing?

Google tells me the water is currently 75 degrees, and the average temps for the next 7-10 days are in the low to mid 80's. Planning to travel with both wetsuit and swimskin, because WTC has a knack for finding the coldest water out there. I have no preference either way, I haven't raced in the swimskin, so actually would like to see what that is like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be there next weekend. Flying in on Thursday and flying out Saturday evening. I will be packing my sleeveless wetsuit and swimskinm, just in case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, sitting at 75 degrees now but with the rains it may cool off. But then again, we may get 90 degrees all next week. Deinifelty bring both a wetsuit and swim skin.

The humidity is up right now, so hopefully Mother Nature has some mercy on us come race day.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The run course is brutal due to (1) no shade anywhere, ever, and (2) it is 95% on gravel, grass, or hilariously through a field just next to a road. Those two factors alone make it a very slow run course.

Bike course last year was super fast and 2 miles short.

One thing for sure is that you will not be disappointed in the quality of either the amateur or pro field at this race.

For fun, here is the pro start list: http://www.ironman.com/...o%20start%20list.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 Questions [GLindy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GLindy wrote:
The run course is brutal due to (1) no shade anywhere, ever, and (2) it is 95% on gravel, grass, or hilariously through a field just next to a road. Those two factors alone make it a very slow run course.

Bike course last year was super fast and 2 miles short.

One thing for sure is that you will not be disappointed in the quality of either the amateur or pro field at this race.

For fun, here is the pro start list: http://www.ironman.com/...o%20start%20list.pdf

Additionally there was a big section through the grass that was off camber, soft and quite unpredictable footing. The gravel road section is actually pretty fast relative but I am usually a low 1:30 or high 1:20 70.3 run leg and went 1:39

I rode my fastest bike leg ever last year at 2:13 and usually go 2:20-2:25.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there. Should be a good time!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 Questions [DesertTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heard today that the water was 71 degrees. We are expecting rains Thursday with a high of 60s.

I'm calling it now..... WETSUIT LEGAL

All poor swimmers, rejoice!

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply