Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bought a Garmin Fenix 3HR on Black Friday, now what ...
Quote | Reply
I realize that this post is going to read like it came from a decade ago, but I'm kind of stuck there given my current bike setup and available funds.

OK, so about ten years ago I started swimming, biking, and running for fun and casual fitness (did a handful of actual tris early on, but haven't done one in a long time) . I've never trained with HR (or a powermeter - too much $$$), and fast forward to present, I bought a Garmin Fenix 3HR on Black Friday because I wanted one for GPS running, biking, hiking, etc. I also liked the fact that if I'm able to buy a used powermeter next year, it'll tell me my numbers. I've now received the Fenix and slowly learning how to use all the features. What I would like to know from the collective ST community is what are the best sources for information about improving my fitness while training with HR numbers. Is there a great book/website that you would recommend that explains how best to improve your fitness level by doing certain intervals or training in various HR zones. Right now, if I do a run or bike ride, I can see my graphs of HR and pace, but I have no idea how to correlate that info into actually improving. Right now, I'd like to limit it to HR, but I'm sure I'll have the same question if I ever buy a powermeter and want to start training with those numbers. Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Bought a Garmin Fenix 3HR on Black Friday, now what ... [sake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm partial to the "Time Crunched Cyclist" books I read. Works for me. I don't have money for a bunch of Zwift and online training tools and paying for online workout plans so just adapt the plans from the books to an excel sheet/calendar and use Strava.

I have the cycling version of the book and really like it. Suited to folks there who have about 6 hrs a week.

The triathlon version of the book I thumbed through at the book store and it seemed pretty good too. But, it looked like definitely more than 6hrs a week.

If that's the amount of time you have, that's what I recommend. It covers other topics like nutrition and hydration, which was great since I was starting from nothing.

If you have more, there's better stuff out there. If you have less time, I'd maybe just use a free membership to an online service or a Strava premium account.
Quote Reply
Re: Bought a Garmin Fenix 3HR on Black Friday, now what ... [sake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be Iron Fit is a pretty popular resource for one way to use HR as an effective training tool. There are different books for different plans; personally I use the "for Women" flavour, which has some women-specific notes and training plans for all distances. But, I am a woman, so... That may not be the right choice for you.

Another that people seem to like is Matt Fitzgerald's 80/20 plan.
Quote Reply