Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bottom Bracket Help
Quote | Reply
I have a 2012 Fuji Aloha 2.0. It has a Square taper Bottom bracket with 175mm cranks. I want to move to 172.5 cranks, and am trying to figure out what the best option would be to change out the bottom bracket and cranks. I want to stay with a 34/50 Compact 110. the setup is Shimano 10 spd.

I can't find anything that states what the size of the BB is for the replacement. Anyone have experience with this ?

Thanks
Dan
Quote Reply
Re: Bottom Bracket Help [thepilo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YOu need to specify which square taper BB. There are various square taper BB designs out there and they are not all cross-compatible.

http://www.falcobike.com
https://www.facebook.com/falcobikeglobal
http://www.twitter.com/Falco_Bike
falcobike@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are ok with your FSA square taper cranks you can buy another set in 172.5. A quick Google search for FSA Vero Compact 172.5 brings up a lot of online purchase options.

The square taper cartridge bottom bracket can probably be replaced by any English threaded 68mm bottom bracket. If you want to switch to a two piece crank instead of 3 piece square taper I'd suggest going Shimano or Sram GXP. There are so many two-piece crankset and bottom bracket combos offered by FSA that it is hard to keep them straight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bottom bracket will say the size on it when you remove it. 68x113 as an example. 68 is the shell size, 68mm. That's all you need to know, it should be 68mm or 73mm.

Then, just buy the correct bottom bracket for the crank that you want in that size.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not change to an updated English BB?

The new Ultegra or 105 4arm crankset is nice and allows versatile chainring setups and can be had pretty cheap including the BB
Quote Reply
Re: Bottom Bracket Help [KEAU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know it is JIS Square taper, but I was hoping to replace the bottom bracket. I was trying to see if anyone knows the correct size so that I can order with our having to take apart now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Square taper style= ISO or JIS (not important if you're going to a new system).

English 68 or Italian 73. Most likely you have an English threaded BB double check.

Width will be important for new systems, it's based on chainstay clearance. If your JIS BB is 109 or less, you can probably accept GXP, shimano, or MegaExo double check though
Quote Reply
Re: Bottom Bracket Help [KEAU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KEAU wrote:
Square taper style= ISO or JIS (not important if you're going to a new system).

English 68 or Italian 73. Most likely you have an English threaded BB double check.

Width will be important for new systems, it's based on chainstay clearance. If your JIS BB is 109 or less, you can probably accept GXP, shimano, or MegaExo double check though

Thanks for the info. Seems like I just need to take apart to figure out the right size before I order.
Quote Reply