Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bottles on board for 70.3...how many?
Quote | Reply
Wondering how many of you carry less than 3 bottles from T1 on your bike for a 70.3. I always have, but am thinking I could go with 1 nutrition bottle...1 water and then pick up water and Gatorade during the race. I weighed a bottle and it was over 2 pounds.
Quote Reply
Re: Bottles on board for 70.3...how many? [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just the one, just water. If I need more, I can pick up, but rarely do.

I don't understand why people roll out of T1 with a smorgasbord of food and 3 or 4 bottles to ride 56 miles. Always seemed rather over the top.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How hot?

60s to 70 I carry two 21oz bottles and often don't finish them.

80s I need at least 3 if not 4 bottles.

90s I'm cooked no matter how much I drink.

Edit oh right. I only carry 2 and do exchanges if I need more.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Apr 1, 15 16:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I try to consume the recommended 20 oz. an hour but that really depends on temperatures, if you're a heavy sweater, personal preference, etc etc. With that in mind I'll have a full bottle between the arms, another behind the saddle, and make plans to trade one out from an aide station between mile 35 and 45 or when low.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

One for water, one for sports drink. Pick up more of each along the way.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2. Same for IM and IM70.3 and regardless of conditions. One is all you need but I carry a second in case of a drop or ejection.
Quote Reply
Re: Bottles on board for 70.3...how many? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:

Two things:

1) GMAN.. got the wheel! It's baller! Thanks!
2) Yeah, 1 bottle unless you do a "megamix" bottle and then 2 (1 megamix bottle and 1 water)

With that said, I'm one of the megamix bottle people for full IM and am throwing that out for 70.3. I'm just doing EFS liquid shot on the bike with one water bottle between the arms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One bottle. That's what aid stations are for.

Twitter
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Bottles on board for 70.3...how many? [travis_lt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One. 1. Won.

I learned a long time ago that the only pertinent information you offer is found within the last sentence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like to carry just one and refill using aid stations. I'm always ready to add the second bottle cage and bottle though depending on the course. At a 1/2 distance last year the hand-ups ended up being half size bottles of water. I was very glad to have the backup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I carry two 24 oz bottles of Infinit, drop one when it's empty.

Normally I get a quarter to half way through the second one.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only done Honu 70.3 (3x) and I prefer to carry 2 bottles. There are only two wave starts (men and women), so the first half of the bike can be pretty crowded. It's nice to be able to skip as many aid stations as possible until things spread out as there are always crashes at the first few aid stations. Other than Hawi, the course doesn't have much climbing to keep you under 18 mph, so the aid stations are in areas where you have to slow down pretty significantly in order to grab a bottle safely while navigating between other riders also grabbing bottles. For that reason, if I'm going to slow down to grab one, I may as well grab two so I don't have to slow down and accelerate again at the next aid station.

My guess is that other courses that may not be as crowded, or have aid station all on climbs won't have as much of an issue.
Last edited by: Jason N: Apr 1, 15 18:37
Quote Reply
Re: Bottles on board for 70.3...how many? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
2. Same for IM and IM70.3 and regardless of conditions. One is all you need but I carry a second in case of a drop or ejection.

^^^^^This.

Once you fall behind on hydration it's very hard to catch up. It also means I have some spare water available for spraying my head and keeping my cooling sleeves damp (also useful for those who pee on the bike).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The general plan is 2 bottles regardless of temperature. 1 nutrition bottle on my downtube that I sip from throughout the race and chase with water. Water is BTA. Just swap water bottles at aid stations.

But if it's a very hot race, then my aid station the plan is to grab two bottles of water. One is immediately racked in the BTA. The other, take a nice good drink from and then spray what's left all over my body to help cool off, then chuck the bottle immediately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of people saying "1", which is the right answer at certain races. But I'm surprised nobody else has said that it depends on the race. I have done a 70.3 with only one aid station on the bike leg, where actually I did fine with just one 750ml bottle. But I have done a 70.3 with no aid station where you were expected to be self-sufficient, so I had to carry two bottles.

I also prefer my gels in an aero bottle on the down tube, so strictly speaking my answer is 2 anyway. But if I took gels in wrappers, it would nearly always be 1.
Quote Reply
Re: Bottles on board for 70.3...how many? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they didn't have a single aid station, then it wasn't an official 70.3 if you know what I mean.
Quote Reply
Re: Bottles on board for 70.3...how many? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I do, although I thought 70.3 was a distance and not a brand..!
Quote Reply
Re: Bottles on board for 70.3...how many? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Bottles on board for 70.3...how many? [bgoldstein] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shit it's bad enough Specialized stealing all the French words but people are claiming numbers for themselves now..

I guess then, did the OP mean "70.3" TM all rights reserved, or Middle Distance?
Quote Reply
Re: Bottles on board for 70.3...how many? [bgoldstein] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 for me for both HIM and IM. Concentrated bottle of Infinit (one for HIM, two for IM - exchanged at special needs) and a bottle of water that I switch out at aid stations. I'll usually have two waters and the Infinit in a HIM, but at Vegas in 2012 I went through 6 bottles of water - that was a hot one!

In training I usually have four bottles to minimize stopping.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One or two, depends on the race... consider the varials such as nutrition stations, temps, course difficulty, your sweating, etc. Out of T1 I generally only have one although you do play a bit of a risk with a bottle drop, missed bottle pickup, etc. I had a hydration lapse in a half one time (dropped bottle at one station, the next aid station the volunteers weren't paying attention).. it was a harder run than it should have been once I got behind on my hydration.
Quote Reply
Re: Bottles on board for 70.3...how many? [travis_lt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travis_lt wrote:

you mean the crash sites?
Quote Reply
Re: Bottles on board for 70.3...how many? [Clempson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clempson wrote:
travis_lt wrote:

you mean the crash sites?

This happened to me in my first HIM. Hit the ground at around 20 mph after not slowing enough for a hand off. Still won my AG, but the run was pretty bloody and got lots of "What happened?" at the run aid stations.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since I start at the back of the swim waves I'll be carrying 4 bottles when I leave transition in Flordia next weekend. The aid stations are a joke: 30-40 people standing in the road off their bike chatting to one another and taking up most of the lane or maybe even the whole thing for the brave BOP'ers going 7 mph 4 wide trying to grab a hand up. I'm not stopping there or counting on that for refueling and I'll just count on "dropping" 2 pounds of weight every 30-40 minutes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next