Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Boston Qualifying "last registration" time
Quote | Reply
Hi
I know it's not triathlon related but I see a lot of marathon talk on this forum so I thought I would ask.

Wondering if anyone knows where I can find out who the last or "slowest" Boston qualifier was for a given age group?

For example the time limit for the 40-45 age group is 3:15 but depending on popularity, you might not get in... Just wondering if anyone knows?

Thx

Losse
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Qualifying "last registration" time [losse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The BAA website usually has it. I think it was around 3:15 faster than the stated qualifying time for the 2018 race.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Qualifying "last registration" time [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The BAA site said 2018 registrants needed to be 2:09 faster than the qualifying time but I think that's overall... just looking for the age group time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BAA website says that qualifiers were accepted into the BM for 2018 if they exceeded their qualifying time by at least 3:23.

http://www.baa.org/...ier-acceptances.aspx

That appears to be the average for the field. I don't think there's ever been a statement as to how to they compute that. Does that mean that you had to run qualifying time - 3:23 regardless of age group, or is 3:23 the average for the field, and some age groups had cutoff times larger than 3:23 and others had smaller? I'm curious myself (stats geek), but I don't think there's an easy way to find out what the slowest accepted times in a given age group were. The BAA makes the names and ages of qualifiers public, but not their qualifying times or qualifying race (smart move). You could probably look up most people's qualifying times, but that would take a lot of hours. I'm curious, but nowhere near that curious.

Last edited by: notadistancegod: Nov 4, 17 8:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d plan on 5min faster to make sure you get in. I missed it by :26 this year

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Qualifying "last registration" time [notadistancegod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
notadistancegod wrote:
BAA website says that qualifiers were accepted into the BM for 2018 if they exceeded their qualifying time by at least 3:23.

http://www.baa.org/...ier-acceptances.aspx

That appears to be the average for the field. I don't think there's ever been a statement as to how to they compute that. Does that mean that you had to run qualifying time - 3:23 regardless of age group, or is 3:23 the average for the field, and some age groups had cutoff times larger than 3:23 and others had smaller? I'm curious myself (stats geek), but I don't think there's an easy way to find out what the slowest accepted times in a given age group were. The BAA makes the names and ages of qualifiers public, but not their qualifying times or qualifying race (smart move). You could probably look up most people's qualifying times, but that would take a lot of hours. I'm curious, but nowhere near that curious.

I think this statement answers your first question:

Quote:
Qualifiers who were 3 minutes, 23 seconds (3:23) or faster than the qualifying time for their age group and gender were accepted into the 2018 Boston Marathon.

...and somewhere they do post each person's time and qualifying race. That is how the marathon investigation blog start their witch hunts.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
losse wrote:
The BAA site said 2018 registrants needed to be 2:09 faster than the qualifying time but I think that's overall... just looking for the age group time.

Its the same "time faster" for everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Qualifying "last registration" time [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
I’d plan on 5min faster to make sure you get in. I missed it by :26 this year

That's my intent. It puts me at a 3:05 (one perk of aging up) and by shooting for a 5-minute buffer, if I falter a bit or miscalculate pace or get stuck in traffic or need to use a porta-potty or... there's still a bit of cushion to whatever the final cutoff is.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Qualifying "last registration" time [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I aged up to a 3:25 but threw up and blew up in spectacular fashion last year in Boston.

I’m really wondering the effect on the qual time with all the downhill marathons.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply