Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bone Spur under Achilles
Quote | Reply
Anyone ever have this, has been going on since November, now have a lump the size of a quarter on the back of the heel and cannot run at all. Looking for a cure!
Quote Reply
Re: Bone Spur under Achilles [trirat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My dad struggled with a large bone spur under his Achilles until a few years ago. He first noticed the problem in his 20s, but didn't do anything to address it. After trying several band-aid approaches, he finally had surgery to remove the spur. This left a sizable cavity in his Achilles. 2 years later, he is still recovering. He's 61 - so that may have something to do with the slow recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe you are talking about a Haglund's deformity? I had mine removed in Germany in November. In America they will often lift the Achilles off the bone in order to get at it, remove the bone spur, and then reattach the tendon with screws. My surgeon simply went underneath the tendon to remove the offending portion of the bone, and stitched up the damaged part of my tendon. I was back on the bike at 6 weeks and running again (short distances) at 10. I am now at full function but it still looks pretty gnarly on the outside (imaging on the tendon is clear, though), and getting up in the morning is still kind of a PITA. But it's definitely worth it knowing that thing won't be causing a further tear in the Achilles. I would do your research on your surgeon's method before you go for it, and be super diligent about the rehab. You can private message me if you want for further details. Good luck!

The only way to avoid disappointment is to not try anything at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have struggled with this for 3 yrs. Started initially from wearing one shoe to loose because of numb toes and with a really high heal counter. I developed a heal spur that was diagnosed, then running one day I had a partial separation at the Achilles insertion point due to the constant heat from rubbing.

I made it worse by trying to train through it and it eventually became highly inflamed and developed bursitis as well. After that I tried many therapies that didn't work, then saw a surgeon who said to take some time off and come see me in 6 months. 6 months later it felt slightly better and decided to give it more time (stopping all training).

1 year later it is finally healed (3.5yrs from the initial tear). Lesson I learned is some injuries require complete isolation to heal and you only extend the recovery by training through it.

Last lesson I learned is don't stop working out.,Now I'm 30ils overweight because I listened to that little voice that said I can enjoy my time off and eat what I want because it will be fun to get back to training and loose the weight again (what?, ya no kidding...that's what I thought).

Anyway, I didn't want to add another scar without trying extended rest first. If it comes back I will be calling the surgeon the next day...
Last edited by: dcomdcom: Jul 29, 14 10:41
Quote Reply
Re: Bone Spur under Achilles [mgodu02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I was diagnosed with a Haglund's deformity on my left leg. I have attached a couple pictures so you can at least see what mine looks like. I consulted two orthopedic surgeons who both wanted to do the surgery described by mgodu02 where they would detach my Achilles tendon, reshape my calcaneus, and then reattach the tendon. The surgeons really had me convinced that this would be a cure all but when I talked to my sister and her husband who are both physical therapists they vetoed the idea. Their opinion from having worked to get many patients moving again post surgery was that due to the long recovery times and complications associated with cutting and reshaping the calcaneus, surgery should be only be considered as last resort after all other options have been exhausted. I have seen at PT who worked primarily with dancers and that made a huge big difference in my quality of life. I guess dancers get all sorts of crazy foot and ankle injuries and the PT knew some tricks to improving my situation and getting me more mobile again. As far as I am aware, surgery is the only cure. Therapy has not cured me and I still have pain and difficulty moving my ankle when I get up in the morning. But after 4 years, I'm running 40-50 miles a week and didn't have to go through the expense or risks associated with surgery. That being said my Achilles is not torn and if your tendon is torn or significantly damaged that could be a whole nother can of worms. If mgody02 had the surgery get the specifics from his about his recovery.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My xray shows a large spur on the back of my foot. The doctor wanted to detach the Achilles to remove it. I passed. He said I would never run again. Then why have the surgery?

Sometimes it gets inflamed and sore, but usually it is a pain I can tolerate.

The post above about how German doctors remove it without detaching it sounds promising though.
Quote Reply
Re: Bone Spur under Achilles [CPA_Triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am dealing with this now and the past 2.5 years. Seen a few docs most said surgery. One gave me orthotics and stretches, etc. I can keep the pain somewhat in control. I was also told that this would happen regardless of my running. Simply an overuse injury from the way my foot land and twists while making contact with the ground.

Anyway, I run about 15 miles a week now and it is good enough for shorter races as far as training is concerned. The most frustrating thing for me is that I am never sure how the foot will react. Sometimes it feel ok and once warmed up there is no pain. Sometime I cannot take 2 steps before I have to stop.

I do not want to have the surgery done as there is nothing wrong with my Achilles. If however that is the only solution I will retire from racing to try and minimize the pain.

Good luck to you.

Looking like a color blind super hero!
Damn triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Bone Spur under Achilles [Rockhopper1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the surgery done on my left achilles in 2010, I was back on the bike at about 4-6monthsand it took me about 20 months to be able to run again. I have the same problem on my right foot and haven't had surgery on it. My left one has never caused any pain whatsoever after i was able to run again, my right foot now is the PITA. If the recovery wouldn't be as bad I would have surgery on my right achilles and be able to run pain free again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds similar to my situation several years ago. Both feet with lumps on the heel and pain in the heel while running. First guy I went to was recommending surgery with long recovery. The second put me in orthotics. The orthotics appear to have worked since I have been pain free for several years now.
Quote Reply