Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Body/muscle coordination problem while riding at FTP
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

It's my first post on ST. I had a weird experience a few days ago. I have a feeling that this problem may not be unique to me. I was doing a climb at FTP that is 23 minutes long. I maintained the pace at my FTP until near the end where I usually go as hard as my body could handle. Just one minute shy to the top I fumbled and found myself on the ground (the bike was flying in the air, that's how hard I fell). Whatever happened was totally involuntary. I can't remember if my arms twitched causing me to lose balance, or my leg muscles misfired causing me to lose balance/coordination. I have had some near misses with something similar but this was the first time I actually crashed while going uphill. One time I almost fell after finishing a one-hour long climb with a brutally steep finale. Has this ever happened to anyone? Do I have a physiology problem or a nutrition deficiency? Did I push myself too hard such that my brain was deprived of oxygen? Or perhaps a neurological problem? Your advice is much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Body/muscle coordination problem while riding at FTP [pdlpsher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you conscious while this is happening?

Just wondering cuz I've jumped a chain on a worn chainring while climbing and went down similar to what you were describing
Quote Reply
Re: Body/muscle coordination problem while riding at FTP [pdlpsher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should talk to your doctor. Cardiac, pulmonary, vascular, neurological? If you are fainting or collapsing at 23 minutes of 1 hour power maybe the issue is advancing since you only recall it happening one hour into a prior FTP effort.
Quote Reply
Re: Body/muscle coordination problem while riding at FTP [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies. I was 100% conscious. I don't think it's the drivetrain as I don't recall any issues with the bike. Regarding my comment on FTP, at the time this happened I was riding at a much faster pace than my FTP. With less than a minute to go to the top I basically tried very hard to get a good time on Strava. In other words, I was at a very exertion level. I'm still new to power meters. My best one hour effort was 200w NP. On that 23 minute climb I was doing 237w NP for the entire climb. When the crash happened I was doing between 250-300w.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
other factors?

extra hot? a bit dehydrated?
Quote Reply
Re: Body/muscle coordination problem while riding at FTP [JRC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JRC wrote:
other factors?

extra hot? a bit dehydrated?

Nothing I could think of except I was exerting myself higher than normal. But it wasn't like I was sprinting or to the point of hyperventilating. To me it felt like the nerve misfired and my muscles lost control for a split second. It wasn't anything that I could feel, hence the mystery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to make you feel bad but that doesn't sound normal. I do a climb like that 3X a week at FTP+ and go all out for the last minute. The closest I've ever come to crashing is failing to clip out in time at the top of a 16% grade when I'm totally gassed (the road literally ends at the top of this hill.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not normal. I can run and ride really hard. Can start to see black. Never ended up on ground.

I would get checked out by a dr. I went today for an ekg for other issues I was having with my heart. Came back a little wack. 98% chance I am totally fine but glad I'm getting it checked out. 2% chance it will save my bacon ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Were you seated climbing, then did you stand up at the end at the very steep section?
If yes, perhaps you are susceptible to the change in blood pressure. I forget the name of it (might be postural hypotension), but I have had it a couple of times after periods of lots weeks of training when I have stood up suddenly from being at a desk. Was scary at the time. Had a night in hospital getting thoroughly checked out a few years ago. Was told my blood was low in electrolytes and I was somewhat dehydrated. Also, was told my resting heart rate was very low (mid 30s when sleeping) which apparently made me more susceptible
I'd definitely get check out out by a doctor if I was you.
Quote Reply